Running-Wizard

Order of runs (Read 27 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I asked this question before framed as a part of another question/series of questions, but I didn't really get a specific answer to this part of my other inquiry, so I am going to ask this part again, specifically:

How much do the ORDER of my runs matter? For example:

Right now I am in the "Aerobic" stage of my RW half marathon plan. I have my plan set up that I run 5 days per week. RW has me running Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. But it works MUCH better for me to run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday....so that is what I have been doing. Does which runs I switch around matter? Currently it has me doing an Easy Fartlek Monday, Aerobic Run Tuesday, Jog Wednesday, Out and Back Friday and Long Run Saturday. I have basically been doing Easy Fartlek Tuesday, Aerobic Run Wednesday, Jog Thursday, Long Run Saturday, and Out and Back Sunday (though sometimes the O&B and LR are flip-flopped). Is that ok???? Also, sometimes I have switched things based on how much time I have....like if I overslept but had 5.5 mile Aerobic Run planned but end up only having a half hour max I would do the 2 mile Jog instead and try again on the 5.5 mile Aerobic Run the next day.

Anyway...is it fine to switch things around the way I do, or is there some physiological benefit to doing the runs in the order provided by the plan??

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JML

From my experience, it is OK to adjust the order as long as you keep a couple of things in mind:

- Don't stack up multiple hard runs.  Following an O+B with a time trial or interval workout will likely create an excess of training stress and trip the recovery indicators.  If you alternate hard and easy runs, you should be OK.

- Use the recovery indicators.  Everyone reacts differently to running workouts and you should get in the habit of using the RIs to make sure that you are keeping your workouts and recovery in balance.

- I think that the general intention of the plan is to have you do you long aerobic run the day after the out and back.  This is to have you do your long run on legs that are already a little tired.  I also sometimes reverse them for scheduling reasons but I try not to if at all possible.  I find that running the O+B after my long run can also be a little challenging as the plan progresses.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

I'm following a RW marathon plan and I am also in the Aerobic phase. If I have to rearrange the schedule, I try to make sure to still do the Out and Back the day before the Long Aerobic Run. That sometimes means that I do them mid-week (Wednesday and Thursday or Thursday and Friday) since the plan has them scheduled for Friday and Saturday. Other than that, like JML, I try to make sure that I don't try to do multiple hard runs on consecutive days. If I'm doing my O&B/LAR mid-week then the day before the O&B I take a rest day, do a jog, or run an easy fartlek (keeping the mileage on the lower end).

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/2; Trenton Half Marathon 10/8

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Ok....right now I have the O&B and LR on the weekend with rest days Friday and Monday so that works.

So, let me just summarize to be sure I understand... those two are the major ones that should be in a row, and the order of the rest don't matter as much, yes? And ideally the O&B should be the day before the LR and not vice versa?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

JML

So, let me just summarize to be sure I understand... those two are the major ones that should be in a row, and the order of the rest don't matter as much, yes? And ideally the O&B should be the day before the LR and not vice versa?

You are correct but do be mindful as you move out of the aerobic phase as some of the workouts in the Hills, Anaerobic and Coordination phases definitely will fall in the 'hard workout' category.  Running hills on top of an out and back or stacking up multiple interval workouts (if your plan calls for more than one interval workout per week) would be a bad idea.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thank you!