Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

On the road back

I went out with my running group last night to do my mid-week 10-12 mile aerobic run.  It was over 100 degrees and humid at the start.  I studiously ignored the GPS and just tried to find a pace that seemed easy.  My normal easy pace has an 8 in front of it.  Last night....it started with a 10.  It was still too fast for conditions.

After 5 terrible miles and at the end of the first loop, we all looked at each other and nobody wanted to continue.

Waiting for fall.......

This actually encouraged me, because I just came in from my scheduled one and a half hour long run after a little over an hour.  No triple-digit temps, but dew point was bumping 75° and I was struggling to even feel like a runner.  I took breaks, walked a little, and still decided to tank it 2/3 of the way through the workout.

My easy runs this summer are easily a minute slower than they were in the winter.  I'm not only waiting for fall, I'm hoping my paces and effort drops when it gets here.

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

northernman

Fight The Future

Did my 15.5 mile long aerobic run this morning. Mostly it was fantastic weather, mid 60's and overcast. Turned around at the 7.75 mile point and it started to rain with thunder/lightning. Made me a bit nervous, but I'm still alive. Can't rely on the weather forecast, which had a zero percent chance of rain just before starting out.

Fortunately, the foot was hardly hurting at all. I think my PF is really gone, by this point, for which I am very grateful. I do have a little intermittent pain in the left 5th metatarsal, but it is bearable. Starting now to think that is due to my new shoes, which cured the PF but that press fairly tightly on the outside of the foot. HTFU foot!

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Obligatory runner.

Did my 15.5 mile long aerobic run this morning. Mostly it was fantastic weather, mid 60's and overcast. Turned around at the 7.75 mile point and it started to rain with thunder/lightning. Made me a bit nervous, but I'm still alive. Can't rely on the weather forecast, which had a zero percent chance of rain just before starting out.

Fortunately, the foot was hardly hurting at all. I think my PF is really gone, by this point, for which I am very grateful. I do have a little intermittent pain in the left 5th metatarsal, but it is bearable. Starting now to think that is due to my new shoes, which cured the PF but that press fairly tightly on the outside of the foot. HTFU foot!

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

My weather app often has it pouring down with rain when not a cloud is in sight, and vice versa. Glad you're still alive Smile

Unsolicited opinion alert! Shoes that press on the outside of the foot sound like bad news.

Nothing to report here. Weather is warm, but not unbearably so, and not too humid. Had a lovely 17km trail run yesterday, one of those runs where it just feels good and easy the whole time.  My running schedule was all out of whack last week, which I dislike because then the colored bars in my log are all random instead of following a weekly pattern. I did three stroller runs in a row and on the last one, the dude wanted to get out and run himself after 40 minutes. What are you gonna do?

oh man Harriet, I remember those running days and lugging a jogging stroller!! I had a double stroller and my girls would last as long as their bag of snack Smile  I would pack crazy snacks like rice krispies so it would take them a long time to eat!! hahahaha

super humid here in the midwest, praying for rain since it has been a while and the air is thick. I have had to slow my runs down and it's not even a conscious thing, I will check my watch and realize that I am thirty seconds off my pace but I still feel like I am working hard!! I know it will pass and I know midwest summers will just be like this

JML

I finally broke down and called my doctor and I am now running through a course of antibiotics.  I ran yesterday’s long run on the treadmill as I didn’t know how I was going to feel, and didn’t want to find myself miles from home with no easy out.  Also, it is still stupidly hot/humid and the idea of running another run in the heat just sounded worse than 2:20 on the dreadmill.  It actually turned out to be a pretty good run and I felt stronger as the run progressed. Perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel?

I also remembered a stupid treadmill trick that I wanted to share that helps to learn how to ignore the pace and run by feel.  I start the treadmill with a towel over the display and never know the actual pace that I am running.  The only thing I can do is hit the up and down arrows to adjust the pace but I keep the display covered.  I find that this helps me to listen to the signals being sent by my body without falling into the trap of “I should be running xTight lippedx pace”.  This is a good way to develop your internal feedback systems.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

perryw

This actually encouraged me, because I just came in from my scheduled one and a half hour long run after a little over an hour.  No triple-digit temps, but dew point was bumping 75° and I was struggling to even feel like a runner.  I took breaks, walked a little, and still decided to tank it 2/3 of the way through the workout.

My easy runs this summer are easily a minute slower than they were in the winter.  I'm not only waiting for fall, I'm hoping my paces and effort drops when it gets here.

I should have gone easier on Saturday... I was supposed to run around 1:37 and pushed myself the extra 3 miles when I could have stopped at the hour point.  I ended up running 1:33; I had similar weather conditions and ran at a similar pace as you, and boy was I sore the rest of the day.  And Sunday.  And still today.  My hips and quads are talking to me.  I guess I underestimated the humidity and I should have slowed down -- it was with my running group and I was near the same people I always am.  I'm skipping the run tonight and will do some extra stretching to hopefully loosen things up.

first PCR of this cycle and it went fine this morning! We are getting a break from the heat today and it was wonderful to run on a cool (though still humid) morning. The only thing that bothered was getting back and looking at my mile splits, there was a a twenty second swing in my mile times at some points, although I felt like I was working hard the whole time. The route I ran was pretty hilly, so I am thinking my split times were a affected long uphills/downhills.

Boston Strong in 2014!

first PCR of this cycle and it went fine this morning! We are getting a break from the heat today and it was wonderful to run on a cool (though still humid) morning. The only thing that bothered was getting back and looking at my mile splits, there was a a twenty second swing in my mile times at some points, although I felt like I was working hard the whole time. The route I ran was pretty hilly, so I am thinking my split times were a affected long uphills/downhills.

We also got a break from the heat today in New Jersey. Went out for an aerobic run and wow, it felt great to be running in sub-70-degree weather!

It is likely that your pace was dictated to a large degree by the terrain; was your HR also up and down? Is there any where you can run your PCR on a flatter course to get more accurate feedback? I start mine next week and I have picked a route that involves driving to a park about 5 miles from my house and running a couple of loops to create a somewhat flat course. I live on a hill and any route that I take from my house involves going up and down hills.

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21

The only truly flat options I have around me are gravel walking trails that aren't safe to be running alone before daylight. I could drive but I have to get up so early anyway, having to get up thirty minutes earlier to include driving time just isn't worth it! Oh well, I am pretty used to my area so hopefully my pace times will start evening out as I get used to running g the hills a bit faster than I have to this point

Boston Strong in 2014!

Oh yeah, getting up even earlier to drive to a location when you are already getting up at dawn is not really an option. As I understand the function of the PCR you are supposed to compare your progress week to week. So if you do the same course each week, even if it is a little hilly, you should be able to see if you are maintaining your goal pace and improving.

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21

northernman

Fight The Future

Finally my foot is almost completely better. PF is all gone, and the pain in the 5th metatarsal is almost all better. I'm very relieved, especially because I know some people who had to completely give up running because of PF. I attribute my "cure" to switching shoes completely to low drop, flat insole shoes. I don't feel as fast when I run, because the shoes don't feel as bouncy as my old ASCICs, but I think that is a hallucination, not reality. Ran my last hill session today outside in the cool 50° weather and actually wished I had worn a long sleeve shirt. Nice that winter has started even earlier than usual for Minnesota. Next up is intervals, which is among my least favorite form of training. At least the recommended paces are not brutal, but with relatively (for me) high weekly mileage, I hope I can pull them off.

Glad to hear you are feeling better northerman! I am coming into my second week of hills and also enjoying the unexpected cool temps!! My long run yesterday was so beautiful if my friend hadn't reminded me we were at the turnaround point, I think I would have just kept going and going! This morning my legs were kind of tired though so since it is my least important run I just jogged instead of running the suggested fartlek run

hope your first interval session goes well!

Obligatory runner.

Also glad to hear your foot is better, northernman!

Christirei - thank goodness your runs are going a bit better now than a few weeks ago. I guess the new/correct shoes help!

Me, well, I can't claim to have really followed the plan for the last 2 weeks. Too many stroller runs Smile I'm convinced those have a strengthening effect, but they're really no replacement for proper training. But tomorrow the schedule goes back to normal and I should be able to get back on track. It's insanely hot today - almost 100F right now - so I'm taking a rest day.

On the road back

It's insanely hot today - almost 100F right now - so I'm taking a rest day.

Good call.

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

RI's have been "fully recovered" since I started the hill phase last week, but yesterday after my run I just felt weary and when I woke up this morning I knew that a rest day was called for, so I mentally switched my rest day for tomorrow to today and gratefully went back to sleep this morning! My legs are aching, I haven't been sleeping well, and I have blisters all over my toes Sad. Sometimes that sort of stuff just doesn't show up on the RI