Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

Wow, Subdood. Be careful up there in the frozen north! You may wake up someday and find your recovery indicators have plummeted to "Eaten by a bear."

Great story Smile I would have been creeped out after 10 minutes and sprinted the heck away from that road - likely spraining something in the process.

So, a week ago, I posted that I had an awesome run in San Francisco -- doubly awesome for someone who has been running indoors on a treadmill during a Minnesota winter that just won't end. Well, this weekend, I took the family on a ski trip to Duluth, MN. I mapped out my Saturday morning Long Run in the area near our lodge by the ski hill. It looked awesome on the map, a 13 mile loop that began on a road by the lodge, wound down through the woods, then some highways and residential areas before heading back toward the ski area.

We had gotten 6 inches of fresh snow overnight by the time I woke up to run. The roads weren't plowed at the ski area yet, so I decided to run my route in reverse (hoping that the highways and residential areas would be plowed, and that the road through the woods would get plowed by the time I got there). The first 8 miles went well. Then, I turned onto the road that wound back through the woods, only to find a barricade and a "Road Closed" sign. Apparently, this road is closed to traffic all winter long. So, I briefly thought about turning around and backtracking 8 miles, but I also thought it might be interesting to run on the closed road ...

I ran those last 5 miles, mostly uphill, in 6 inches of fresh snow that were layered on top of a winter's worth of old snow. The old snow underneath was very uneven, from the handful of other fools who had traveled there, either on foot, snowmobile, snowshoes, etc., which made me fearful I would twist my ankle.

It was very foolish, and I should have turned around within the first half mile or so. About 2 miles into this stretch, I started to think about whether there might be any bears in this area. I saw some deer tracks, and some snake-like tracks that looked like a small rodent had scampered across the surface of the snow. But I don't think I saw another living creature during that stretch. When I finally got back to our lodge, I sighed a huge sigh of relief.  I am back home now. The treadmill doesn't look so bad anymore.

Happy

Wow, Subdood. Be careful up there in the frozen north! You may wake up someday and find your recovery indicators have plummeted to "Eaten by a bear."

Great story Smile I would have been creeped out after 10 minutes and sprinted the heck away from that road - likely spraining something in the process.

Ha! Or maybe, "Eaten by bear -- train, but don't strain."

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

having a very rough training week and not sure why. did my long/jog over the weekend and the second half of the poorly planned run was straight into a horrible constant wind that left me exhausted by the time i made it back to my car, ended up having to do my next day's easy fartlek on the treadmill which went ok, but then on my rest day thought it might be nice to get a massage and work out a kink in my calf.... well, the massage was okay but today's run was absolutely terrible. another easy fartlek that definitely was heavy on the "easy" and pretty light on the "fartlek"  Smile

I am traveling today to florida with my family for spring break. I am registered for a 5K down there for the weekend that my mom will run with me. not sure how to approach the training for the rest of this week and the race. It is supposed to be "cold" until saturday when it will be the hottest day that we are there!! I am used to KC winter right now, so 70/80's is going to be a shock. plus not feeling strong right now...supposed to do a nice aerobic run tomorrow morning and cut downs friday before the race...

won't have access to much internet while we are gone so i'll catch you guys up when i get back!

having a very rough training week and not sure why. did my long/jog over the weekend and the second half of the poorly planned run was straight into a horrible constant wind that left me exhausted by the time i made it back to my car, ended up having to do my next day's easy fartlek on the treadmill which went ok, but then on my rest day thought it might be nice to get a massage and work out a kink in my calf.... well, the massage was okay but today's run was absolutely terrible. another easy fartlek that definitely was heavy on the "easy" and pretty light on the "fartlek"  Smile

I am traveling today to florida with my family for spring break. I am registered for a 5K down there for the weekend that my mom will run with me. not sure how to approach the training for the rest of this week and the race. It is supposed to be "cold" until saturday when it will be the hottest day that we are there!! I am used to KC winter right now, so 70/80's is going to be a shock. plus not feeling strong right now...supposed to do a nice aerobic run tomorrow morning and cut downs friday before the race...

won't have access to much internet while we are gone so i'll catch you guys up when i get back!

Hope you're having a better time of it now, Christirei. How was Florida?

Here, it snowed every day last week and then it got really cold: Like 18F over the weekend, and windy. I've been faithfully running outdoors in all sorts of weather all winter long, but something just snapped on Saturday when I got up and saw -12C on the thermometer. No. It is the end of March. Just...no. So I sucked it up and did my PCR (finally!) on the treadmill at the gym. 8.7km at 5:12/km pace. About 5.5 miles in 45 minutes. Felt easy for the first 30 minutes and then got progressively less comfortable until I was sort of flailing for the last kilometer.  Wow, that was a surprisingly tiring workout. Did long run outdoors yesterday on ice. Legs are now begging for a massage, so I'm off for a refreshingly short and easy 6km followed by a date with the foam roller. 6 weeks until goal race, and first interval workout tomorrow!

Happy

Here, it snowed every day last week and then it got really cold: Like 18F over the weekend, and windy. I've been faithfully running outdoors in all sorts of weather all winter long, but something just snapped on Saturday when I got up and saw -12C on the thermometer. No. It is the end of March. Just...no. So I sucked it up and did my PCR (finally!) on the treadmill at the gym. 8.7km at 5:12/km pace. About 5.5 miles in 45 minutes. Felt easy for the first 30 minutes and then got progressively less comfortable until I was sort of flailing for the last kilometer.  Wow, that was a surprisingly tiring workout. Did long run outdoors yesterday on ice. Legs are now begging for a massage, so I'm off for a refreshingly short and easy 6km followed by a date with the foam roller. 6 weeks until goal race, and first interval workout tomorrow!

I feel your pain. Ran yesterday on a light dusting of snow, temperature was around 20F. I took a hard spill on some glare ice that was hidden by the light snow. My back hurts a bit, but it could've been worse.Temperatures are supposed to go above the freezing point at some point in the near future, which is nice considering this is the 4th day of Spring!

I'm into my second week of Hills, and I was really looking forward to the decrease in mileage (and time) compared to the Aerobic Phase. Mytime spent running dropped by about 2 hours per week in the HIlls Phase! But the muscles are experiencing a whole new kind of fatigue. Oh, and I've gained about 3 pounds in the last week.

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

Bacon Party!

Dang! Sorry about that spill SubDood!

I bagged my fartlek last week for iced sidewalks and roads. This morning, ran the whole two hours in falling snow.

Dear Winter - I. Am. Done.

Meanwhile, in lighter news ... my favorite sign of summer! Bell's Brewery released Oberon today!

Liz

pace sera, sera

Happy

Dang! Sorry about that spill SubDood!

I bagged my fartlek last week for iced sidewalks and roads. This morning, ran the whole two hours in falling snow.

Dear Winter - I. Am. Done.

Meanwhile, in lighter news ... my favorite sign of summer! Bell's Brewery released Oberon today!

Thanks, I just have to be more careful. Spring will come ...

Hey, that picture of the ladies drinking Oberon -- were those oranges in their glasses? Is Oberon a hefeweizen?  I posted in the "favorite beer" thread that Bell's Two Hearted Ale is my favorite beer. I haven't tried other Bell's beers, but I am eager to give Oberon a try. Thanks for the tip!

Bacon Party!

Heh...missed that you are already a Bell's fan. Yes, Oberon is a wheat beer. Not my favorite style, but one of my favorites among wheats. Especially nice for its seasonal associations / happy memories. Do try one ... if nothing else, it's great after mowing the lawn or running a race. :-)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Sorry you fell, subdood. What a pain.

I feel like I have done almost all my runs in falling snow or the immediate aftermath thereof. Over it...

So I did my intervals! On the treadmill, of course. First intervals in 3 years. I was all nervous yesterday; so nervous that I packed my gym bag in the early afternoon so I wouldn't forget anything. Workout was fine, kept the pace in the middle of the suggested range and managed 4x1600 no problem. Tortured myself afterwards by looking at my old running log and seeing how I used to run 3 or 4x1600 in 7:10. Whatever...that was before I learned how to do it right Smile

Oh, and re:hills - I can tell the hill bounding had some effect on my legs because when I clown around with my 1.5yr old doing silly walks or whatever, stuff like hopping on one foot and jumping as high as you can is much easier now Big grin

Happy

Buzzie -- I would love to try a Bell's Oberon after mowing the lawn. Right now, that seems like a long way off. I assume it will taste as good after shoveling snow?

Harriet -- Thanks. My back is just a tad sore, but it doesn't affect me at all while running. Intervals on a treadmill sounds like where I'll be in a few weeks, regardless of weather conditions. It's just so convenient to plug in a speed, run it for the prescribed time/distance, and repeat without having to find a track, or trying to create markers along a trail, or constantly looking at your GPS to see how far/long you've run, etc.  The only downside might be that the weather might actually be nice by the time I'm scheduled to run intervals, and it'll be a shame to stay inside on those days.

Especially nice for its seasonal associations / happy memories. 

I generally lurk but this was worthy of a response.   I went to  WMU and still have an old Solsun shirt from before they were forced to change the name. Happy memories indeed.

Back from vacation in Florida (where it was not sunny but still considerably warmer than here in KC!) and I had a great running week. We bought the cheapest tickets possible so had terrible flights and long drives from the airport to my mom's house, so I took extra days off. Plus my daughters freaked out the first night away from home and didn't sleep well in the new place. I ran with my mom (I was there to see her after all...) and she runs about three minutes slower per mile than I do...but hey, I was moving! I did my first set of cutdowns and felt really good leading up to our 5K on Saturday. i had no idea what to expect. it ended up being a small race, maybe two hundred/two fifty runners. I started off purposely slow, about a 7:30 pace but after the first bit picked up my pace until I was running just under a seven minute pace by the end....and i felt great! ended up with a flat 22 time (thirty seconds faster than what my plan called for me to run, but i still felt like i was holding back) no dry heaving and winning my age group.

had to take another day off for travel, but might be able to make up that time by doing a shorter run tomorrow and then getting ready for my next time trial this weekend....so wierd with the miles dropping so quickly now since the long runs are gone from the schedule!

hope you guys all had a good week!

Happy

... I started off purposely slow, about a 7:30 pace but after the first bit picked up my pace until I was running just under a seven minute pace by the end....and i felt great! ended up with a flat 22 time (thirty seconds faster than what my plan called for me to run, but i still felt like i was holding back) no dry heaving and winning my age group.

Congrats!! Great job and great time. You made it sound easy!

+1 Smile nice race! Guess the bad week was just one of those random occurrences.

Congrats!! Great job and great time. You made it sound easy!

Thanks guys! I felt great during the race but I probably pushed a bit to hard because my time trial this morning didn't go nearly as well :/ oh well, I am starting my two weeks of taper phase and I have high hopes for my goal race. Can't believe I am almost done ! Of course, after a two week break I am starting my marathon plan in May!