Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

Harriet, were you able to find another half marathon?? How have you been running recently??

Hope you can find a race to put all of that training to good use soon!!

ciao! I did find a half on June 2 - one I swore off of years ago because it is always 80 degrees & no shade. But it's the only one until late august, so I will try it. Not feeling ambitious about it, I must say. If it is really hot, the best I cam realistically hope for is 1:45ish.

Am currently on holiday in Sardinia (hey, someone has to...) and have gotten some lovely runs in. Had grand plans to do intervals or whatever, but that hasn't happened. Did do a scenic 1hr45min on hilly trails overlooking the Mediterranean this morning. Just me and some lizards. No other people.

Hungry

Good luck, Harriet! "Hilly trails overlooking the Mediterranean" sounds too good to be true. It beats "squeaky treadmill overlooking dead grass in my backyard."  Stock up on the "good" millet and keep us posted!

Hungry

This thread is entitled "How's it going?" So my answer is ... ok, I think. I am finishing up my first week (of 4 weeks) in the "Coordination Phase," so I've done my first attempt at "12x100/100's" and my first "Cut-Downs."  I benefited greatly from reading Harriet's "PSA" about the 12x100/100's -- this was an incredibly difficult workout! The thought of doing 3 more of these workouts over the next 3 weeks is intimidating, but also motivating.

By contrast, I have read 3 slightly different interpretations of the "Cut-Down" workouts -- well, I see 3 possibly different interpretations.

Here is what I did this morning: After a 15 minute warmup jog, I ran 300 meters -- the first 100 meters in ~ 22 seconds, the second 100m in ~21 seconds, the third 100m in ~20 seconds. (I used a treadmill and used 3 speeds: 10.2 mph, 10.7 mph, and 11.2 mph.)  I then jogged for about 5 minutes, then repeated the above 300 meters using the same speeds. I considered this to be my "2 Sets," and I finished with a 15 minute cooldown jog. This was not a difficult workout at all. Was it supposed to be?

One alternate interpretation was that I only did half of the workout; i.e., what I did above was only 1 set, and I needed to do 2 more rounds of 3x100 to complete the workout.

Yet another interpretation I read was from one of the general running forums where it sounded like Nobby's explanation was that you do 3 sets of 3x100, and each successive set is done at a faster pace (mile pace for 300m, Recover, 800m pace for 300m, Recover, 400m pace for 300m). But this didn't seem right to me -- why would you call it 3x100m if that were the case? That sounded more like 300m intervals run at successively faster paces.

So I'm confused and looking for a little help. I certainly didn't mind taking it easy today. But tomorrow is a Rest day... which might make sense since Saturday is an Out-n-Back/Long Race, which I believe is one of the most important workouts in my entire schedule (due to it being exactly 6 weeks before my goal marathon race).  Hmmm, maybe the Taper madness is setting in prematurely or something ...

Subdued, I ran the cut down workouts the same way, two sets of three one meter intervals, with each 100 within the three progressively faster. Then repeated. So ultimately 6 100 's with two of each pace. I also thought it was a pretty easy workout compared to what I had been doing. I think the goal of the workout is to run fast and focus on leg turnover and that sort of thing though, so maybe the point isn't a tough interval workout like the 100/100's? Not really sure what to tell you other than I ran the workout exactly like you did!

You ran them correctly.  I was confused by it as well because the workout instructions wasn't quite clear enough and i'd read a different interpretation on the boards before so I sent Nobby a note.  He confirmed "It's actually 3 X 100m, progressively getting faster.  That's one set.  And you do it twice.  So you'll be doing 100m in 25 seconds; then 23 seconds; then 22 seconds...5 minutes jog; and repeat."

Hungry

Many thanks, Christirei and cbaker!  It really is cool to have such a helpful group to get questions answered and to share insights. Smile

wait...isn't the cutdown workout 100 hard/300 recovery x3 = 1 set, 5 min in between sets???  dang, i can't access my plan anymore, but i thought that was it...

mta: found description on rw website. Is in fact typically unclear, but reference to deceleration at the end of each 100 & "2-3 minutes easy recovery to catch your breath" sound like recovery btwn 100's. And the suggested variation is 100/300, which is what i did.

Oh, running wizard. So many words, so little clarity!

You ran them correctly.  I was confused by it as well because the workout instructions wasn't quite clear enough and i'd read a different interpretation on the boards before so I sent Nobby a note.  He confirmed "It's actually 3 X 100m, progressively getting faster.  That's one set.  And you do it twice.  So you'll be doing 100m in 25 seconds; then 23 seconds; then 22 seconds...5 minutes jog; and repeat."

JML

I agree with runharrietrun.  My plan called for this workout more than a few times and I ran it as per my interpretation of the RW plan:

Warmup

Set 1 - Run 100 hard, jog 3 minutes, 100 harder, jog 3 minutes, 100 even harder

Jog 5 minutes between sets

Set 2 - Run 100 hard, jog 3 minutes, 100 harder, jog 3 minutes, 100 even harder

Cooldown

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

I have read and re-read the various explanations, and they all seem viable. What Jon describes above is what I have described as a "variation" of the Cut-Down.

Here is how I see it described: "Run fast 3 times over approximately 100m, increasing the speed each time."  Then,

"The first 100m should be about the average pace for the 1500m/mile race, The second one about 800m race pace

The third one at 400m race pace - in other words progress from running quickly to even quicker and then quickest."

However, none of the various interpretations sounds like it will make the workout any more or less difficult. The idea (I think) is to work on fast leg turn-over, which I think I did.

We are all young Jedi warriors, waiting for Yoda (Nobby) to show us the true ways of the force.

JML

The idea (I think) is to work on fast leg turn-over, which I think I did.

100% agree with you on this.  I did not find this type of workout particularly taxing but notice that I am now very comfortable with faster turnover.  During the final cutdown workout of this cycle on May 9th, I allowed myself to run the last 100 all out.  The result was a 4:52 pace (yikes!).  I have not seen anything starting with a '4' since high school.

I ran my up-tempo 800 last night (my race is on Sunday), and was pleased to have a 6:13 pace feel relatively comfortable.  I think that the cutdown workouts and time trials really helped to make fast turnover seem easy.  While I don't (yet) have the aerobic capacity to sustain these faster paces, my legs feel strong and ready.

Hungry

100% agree with you on this.  I did not find this type of workout particularly taxing but notice that I am now very comfortable with faster turnover.  During the final cutdown workout of this cycle on May 9th, I allowed myself to run the last 100 all out.  The result was a 4:52 pace (yikes!).  I have not seen anything starting with a '4' since high school.

I ran my up-tempo 800 last night (my race is on Sunday), and was pleased to have a 6:13 pace feel relatively comfortable.  I think that the cutdown workouts and time trials really helped to make fast turnover seem easy.  While I don't (yet) have the aerobic capacity to sustain these faster paces, my legs feel strong and ready.

Jon,

You are flying fast! Can't wait to hear your report after Sunday's race. Best of luck!

Ok, so on the Cut-Down issue, I will continue doing them "Christirei/cbaker/SubDood-style," unless and until I am instructed otherwise.

Thanks everyone!

Bob

In Boulder for Lydiard clinic. Apology for the absence.

Jon; your goal race is today!! All the best to you!!!

JML

Thanks Nobby.

Final results are pending but I think that I went under 20 minutes while trying to get under 21.  Today was a good day.

Wow! Congrats! Sounds like an great run!

Hungry

Congrats! I was expecting a PR-busting effort, based on your last time trial. Great to hear it went so well. Can't wait to hear the final results and race report.

Great job!