Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

Lots of good questions being asked on the forum...how is everyone doing?? Seems like a lot of people are either just finishing plans and racing/tapering or have just started plans for fall races. I have just started the third week of my marathon plan, and can't believe how much different it is from the 5K plan I just finished. Starting to get used to the longer runs though and thankfully the weather where I am at has not been hot and muggy yet, so the runs have been beautiful!

Obligatory runner.

Going blah here at the moment. Had a fantastic vacation with lots of good running, but came home and immediately got a bad cold that's kept me from running the last couple of days. So annoying, but nothing to be done about it I suppose. Going to go out for a run this afternoon.

Not only is the weather here in Berlin neither hot nor muggy - it was 36F and raining this morning. Good running weather, actually Smile

northernman

Fight The Future

I'm now in week 4 out of 22 for my fall marathon. I think I'm really going to have to cut back for a few days or a week. I like how the plan gives a range of mileages for each day, so I don't feel so lazy for going down to lower distances. Sorry for complaining, but please let me whine for a bit here: my left PF is waxing and waning, never completely going away; i have major pains in my gluteal muscles, and other assorted aches and pains in other parts of my legs. Sounds bad, but I attribute it all to several new things: I bought a completely different shoe type (Altrazerodrop vs. my old trusty ASICS 2160s), and have been trying to not overdo the change, so have been alternating between the two pairs; I started doing weight lifting (squats and lunges, so far); reading Anatomy for Runners, I've been trying to run more with my butt muscles than my quads, as the author recommends. I suspect all of that at once has been too much for my system. Hopefully cutting back will have everything settle down without anything serious breaking. I have also decided to completely ditch the ASICS shoes, I think it's time for a complete break to the flat shoes. Will keep you posted.

Oh yeah, lots going on there all at the same time! If it makes you feel better though I am in week three and have never had my legs feel as fatigued as they do right now. Biofreeze and my foam roller are my best friends right now! Also been running the lower range given for my runs and hoping to adapt soon!

Obligatory runner.

I'm now in week 4 out of 22 for my fall marathon. I think I'm really going to have to cut back for a few days or a week. I like how the plan gives a range of mileages for each day, so I don't feel so lazy for going down to lower distances. Sorry for complaining, but please let me whine for a bit here: my left PF is waxing and waning, never completely going away; i have major pains in my gluteal muscles, and other assorted aches and pains in other parts of my legs. Sounds bad, but I attribute it all to several new things: I bought a completely different shoe type (Altrazerodrop vs. my old trusty ASICS 2160s), and have been trying to not overdo the change, so have been alternating between the two pairs; I started doing weight lifting (squats and lunges, so far); reading Anatomy for Runners, I've been trying to run more with my butt muscles than my quads, as the author recommends. I suspect all of that at once has been too much for my system. Hopefully cutting back will have everything settle down without anything serious breaking. I have also decided to completely ditch the ASICS shoes, I think it's time for a complete break to the flat shoes. Will keep you posted.

Yeah, that sounds like a lot at once!! Not that you asked, but I would probably not ditch the asics right now, if that is what you are used to. That would be the last straw for my legs, anyway. Do you own a foam roller? I would go Chuck Norris on that stuff with the Trigger Point....

The range of mileages and times for each run is really useful, especially at the beginning of the plan. I just bought a half marathon plan starting on June 9th, and WHOA there is a lot of mileage (or kilometer-age) going on there compared to the last one! It's like Mon 22km, Wed 18km, Fri 20km, Sun 15km O&B. Yeah, sure. NBD. I will also be starting out at the low end of the range Smile

JML

Not that you asked, but I would probably not ditch the asics right now, if that is what you are used to. 

+1 on this.  Adding mileage and changing footwear at the same time would cause me some issues.  I have been making the transition to 'less shoe' as well and it has been a very slow transition.  I think that it takes some time for the Achilles to acclimate i would recommend staying with the shoes that you got you here (Asics) until your legs are better acclimated to the mileage increase.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

northernman

Fight The Future

I do appreciate the advice on the shoes. Just not so sure what is best. I'm actually wondering if the asics are what are causing the problem, even though I've worn this style for the last 15000 miles or so. But now, just putting them on makes my left foot start to hurt. the 2160 is a stability shoe, I think, and it has a big hard cushion on the inside edge. Also, I've never had a problem with PF before; this started up after my last race, I think due to the long down hill parts, and then after the race I may have started back a bit too soon. But it was in the asics that it started, not with the astras. Thus, why I have a feeling (against the general advice) that it might be best to stop using them. Well, hopefully with a step back in mileage, everything will clear up regardless.

JML

PF is a vexing foe and is also very individualized to the specific runner so take what I say with a grain of salt.  I have had PF in both feet over the last few years although not at the same time.  I used to run in stability shoes and have slowly migrated to something more neutral with less drop.  What fixed the problem in my left foot (time and stretching) did it fix it when the problem cropped up in my right foot.  The only consistent thing that has helped with the right foot is deep tissue massage / ART.  In talking to other runners, PF requires you to be willing to try a bunch of different things until you find the solution for your case.  Changing too many variables at once slowed down my recovery and my advice would be to exercise caution in trying too many changes at once,  good luck.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

northernman

Fight The Future

PF is a vexing foe and is also very individualized to the specific runner so take what I say with a grain of salt.  I have had PF in both feet over the last few years although not at the same time.  I used to run in stability shoes and have slowly migrated to something more neutral with less drop.  What fixed the problem in my left foot (time and stretching) did it fix it when the problem cropped up in my right foot.  The only consistent thing that has helped with the right foot is deep tissue massage / ART.  In talking to other runners, PF requires you to be willing to try a bunch of different things until you find the solution for your case.  Changing too many variables at once slowed down my recovery and my advice would be to exercise caution in trying too many changes at once,  good luck.

really appreciate the advice. As I said, have never had more than a rare day or two in the past with foot problems, so this is all new to me. Seems obvious to go back to the asics, but when I try them, it seems to make the pain worse. Maybe I should buy a new pair, and test them out? But my old ones aren't that old. I'm doing the foot deep massage with an LAX ball, and that helps. Also doing deep gastroc/soleus eccentric stretches, and the occasional ice.

RunSaintRun

+1 to everything already said. You are moving from a 8mm toe/ heel drop shoe to a zero drop shoe on top of everything else you have going on. I would be careful transitioning to the Altra's. Perhaps try a shoe in the 4mm drop range for a period of time(months) before jumping into the zero drops. I am an older runner and it has taken me about 2 years to transition to the zero drop shoes which I use on my long runs. Most of my medium distance runs are on kinvara's which are a 4mm drop. Just something to consider.

Keep in mind that racing taxes me to the fullest when I race all out. It is not uncommon to notice a new ache or pain not normally felt while training after a race. That said I have had PF in my right foot which eventually tore (relatively minor) and healed in such a way it has not bothered me in over two years with more miles run. HOWEVER I have been experiencing PF in my left foot for the last 6 weeks or so. Not real bad but bad enough I've resorted to taping before my runs to prevent further aggravating it. It's to the point where I'm thinking of seeing a PT after my goal 5K race this Saturday. I've had Graston for an IT band issue in my other leg that allowed me to run and finish my first Marathon. I'm thinking of trying Graston for the PF. The usual excercises/ stretching for PF have not eliminated the pain.

Personally I think shoes get a bad rap (no pun intended) for injuries a runner experiences. For me it's usually doing too much / too hard  / too soon.

Good luck and let us know how you do

Obligatory runner.

yes, I think runsaint has several good points. I feel like most of us don't respect our bodies' recovery needs after racing and we get back to training too quickly. I have definitely been able to trace injuries back to this phenomenon...

And I also think blaming the shoes is a red herring most of the time. in my experience it is not necessarily the shoes, but what I do while wearing them, that causes problems!

frank777

Phew!

Five weeks to go to the Gold Coast (Queensland) marathon. I've just finished the two weeks of hill phase (enjoyed that) and into the first week of intervals. I feel quite good and so far no injury concerns at all (have I just jinxed myself?). And the notable thing is how good I feel and how getting up early four times a week is relatively painless now. I started the Wizard plan to force myself into a routine, and I think it has worked very well.

Looking forward to the coming weeks, especially that mouth-watering taper!

northernman

Fight The Future

Not sure if I can blame the shoes or not. But I did try to go to the LRS yesterday and get some new 2170's just to test out the idea. Found out the 21XX series is discontinued! What the heck? The salesperson said the GT2000 is the replacement from asics, so I bought a pair, even though they don't feel as nice as the 2170's typically do. This morning I decided to take it easy, only run 9 miles instead of the prescribed 12, and run inside on the soft carpeted track instead of outside on hard blacktop. By mile 7, my foot was hurting much more than when I woke up, so I called it quits. Will return the shoes today, and I've decided to completely stop with the running for at least a week to let things settle down more (I hope!). I'll just do the Arc Trainer to try to sustain my CV fitness, and try all the usual PF stretches and exercises. Have also ordered some of the last remaining 2170's online for when I start back up. Gee, this is all a big disappointment. I thought I was safely past the stage of running injuries.

Obligatory runner.

Five weeks to go to the Gold Coast (Queensland) marathon. I've just finished the two weeks of hill phase (enjoyed that) and into the first week of intervals. I feel quite good and so far no injury concerns at all (have I just jinxed myself?). And the notable thing is how good I feel and how getting up early four times a week is relatively painless now. I started the Wizard plan to force myself into a routine, and I think it has worked very well.

Looking forward to the coming weeks, especially that mouth-watering taper!

Nice!! I was really looking forward to the taper too, at this point in my training, but it turned out to be not all that. Just to warn you. Fantasize if you must, but come taper time you may find that not running very much makes you crazy...

Northerman yeah, really frustrating Sad Sounds like the right decision to back off a little and let the PF heal. Do you have a Strassburg Sock? I hear those can be very helpful.

Obligatory runner.

Oh, and more whining from me: I'd already written this week and last week off as total training losses, and was hoping to get back to "real" running tomorrow, and maybe even do a HM on Sunday. Things were looking up as of yesterday, but I woke up this morning to a HR elevated 10 bpm above the norm, raw scratchy throat, and general gunk. Oh, the gunk. I give up. Even the recovery indicators were all concerned, and I never could get them to give a darn about anything when I was actually training.