Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

In my 2nd week of a 20 week 5k plan. Had neck surgery in December so figured I'd need the longer time to get back into 5k condition. So far ok. This will be my first time following  a plan for a 5k

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I knew going into this week would be up in the air. Traveled to visit a friend for just a few days and was able to get in a good run before we left, but wasn't able to run for the two mornings i was gone, today is techinically a rest day but i was getting itchy for a run so crammed in four miles just to say i did something, but two missed runs plus a missed run due to thunderstorms puts me down 25 miles for the week! argghhhh. I think I just posted that I was feeling in the groove with my plan finally and had adjusted to the higher mileage, hopefully that isn't in the tank now! Been frustrated a bit because it seems like everything that can hinder my training has happened this past month and I haven't had one good solid week with nothing unexpected happening...but positive thinking and trying to look ahead!

Hungry

8 more days until my goal race, Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN.  24 weeks is a long time on this plan, and I am really itching to run my race! I've been lucky regarding injuries and illnesses -- the flu wiped me out my first week or so of the plan, but I've been pretty healthy ever since. Weather has been dreadful until recently, but my treadmill worked out fine for me. My handful of training races along the way have been marked by bizarre occurrences -- 2 train stoppages in one race (a 5K, no less), a snow-packed trail run that twisted my ankles for 2 hours, and a pace biker that led the fastest runners (i.e., other people) WAY off course in a half marathon. I believe these were all just tests of my character, merely part of a great plan to prepare me to run a great race next week. Or just randomness to mess with me during this vulnerable taper period.

Time trial tomorrow: 5K on a neighborhood course. (I am skipping an actual race in town, because I know myself -- I'm just too darn stupid to hold back, and my legs are already itching to let loose!!)

zonykel

Stiff lower back on Thursday because I lifted something in an awkward manner. Didn't run. On Friday, back stiffness had lessened, but was still there. Started running, but stiff back prevented me from going as fast as I intended (it was an out and back run). Had to cut the run short due to right calf stiffening (probably from trying to compensate for stiff back). Tried doing my long aerobic run today, but in less than 10 minutes, the right calf tightened up, so I stopped. I'll try rehabbing the rest of the day. Already took a warm bath to try to loosen up my lower back and calf. Will try resting and see how I feel tomorrow.

frank777

Phew!

8 more days until my goal race, Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN.  24 weeks is a long time on this plan, and I am really itching to run my race! ... Time trial tomorrow: 5K on a neighborhood course. (I am skipping an actual race in town, because I know myself -- I'm just too darn stupid to hold back, and my legs are already itching to let loose!!)

Enjoy the last week of taper SubDood and have a great run next week

JML

8 more days until my goal race, Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN. 

Solid effort for your 5K time trial.  It looks like you are ready to go.  Enjoy the easy week and have a great race next weekend.

BTW - There is a Lydiard connection with your goal race.  Did you know that Grandma's was Lorraine Moller's first marathon?  She told us a story in class yesterday how she entered the race in 1979 with the goal of running the first 20 miles as a training run.  At the 20 mile mark, she decided to just go ahead and finish the race.  She ended up winning it with a 2:37:37.    She also subsequently won in 1980 and 1981.

Wow.....just wow.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

Thanks, Frank!

MTA: Hey, looks like you are close to beginning your taper  for your July 7 marathon -- enjoy and have a great run yourself!!

Enjoy the last week of taper SubDood and have a great run next week

Hungry

Solid effort for your 5K time trial.  It looks like you are ready to go.  Enjoy the easy week and have a great race next weekend.

BTW - There is a Lydiard connection with your goal race.  Did you know that Grandma's was Lorraine Moller's first marathon?  She told us a story in class yesterday how she entered the race in 1979 with the goal of running the first 20 miles as a training run.  At the 20 mile mark, she decided to just go ahead and finish the race.  She ended up winning it with a 2:37:37.    She also subsequently won in 1980 and 1981.

Wow.....just wow.

Thanks, Jon. Yes, I did know that Lorraine won Grandma's those 3 years in a row. Actually, the Lydiard/Lorraine/Grandma's connection, for me, is borderline ridiculous. Grandma's was my first awareness of the existence of the marathon as an event. I was on a bus coming home from a junior high camping trip in northern Minnesota, summer of 1977 or 1978, I was maybe 12 years old. Our bus got stuck in Duluth because of the marathon, and we ended up sitting on the bus watching the finish! (1977 was the first year of Grandma's, and there were only 150 people entered in that first race, so maybe I was there in '78 -- it seemed like we watched a lot more than 150 people finish.) In the summer of 1980, after running cross-country my sophomore year in high school, I entered my first road race ever. It was called the River Falls 10 Mile Run, in River Falls, Wisconsin. I was 15. When the race started, I saw a woman near the front of the pack, so I tried really hard to keep up with her. I stopped trying after I got to mile 1 -- my 1-mile split was 5:45, certainly not sustainable for me. I ended up winning the Boy's 15-and-under division with a time of 1:10. I got a trophy and my name was in the paper with the race results the next day. I saw that the overall Women's winner was someone named Lorraine Moller, of New Zealand. I did not know who she was at the time, but I have remembered her name ever since. (I can only assume that Lorraine must've used this little race through cornfields in Wisconsin as a tune-up for her 1980 victory at Grandma's.)  Lastly, when I first found out about Running Wizard, I saw that they were located in Plymouth, Minnesota, about 2.5 miles from my house (at least the RW Facebook site lists that as their office location). And I understand that Nobby lives somewhere in my vicinity. One other thing -- on my favorite running route, I run past "Lydiard" Lake -- I was just there an hour ago.  I have not actually seen the lake, since it is hidden on someone's private property, but it shows up clearly on my route maps.

So all of this probably seems unbelievable, I know.  Somewhere in my house, I think I still have that little trophy from 1980, and in it is a small, very yellow newspaper clipping that has my name listed as an age-group winner of a race -- several lines below Lorraine's name. (I moved about a year-and-a-half ago, so it is possible that this trophy got thrown out. I'll be really bummed if I never see it again.)

MTA:  Jon -- Please post anything you are willing to share about the class.

zonykel

Taking another rest day. Lower back and right calf have some lingering issues.

Stiff lower back on Thursday because I lifted something in an awkward manner. Didn't run. On Friday, back stiffness had lessened, but was still there. Started running, but stiff back prevented me from going as fast as I intended (it was an out and back run). Had to cut the run short due to right calf stiffening (probably from trying to compensate for stiff back). Tried doing my long aerobic run today, but in less than 10 minutes, the right calf tightened up, so I stopped. I'll try rehabbing the rest of the day. Already took a warm bath to try to loosen up my lower back and calf. Will try resting and see how I feel tomorrow.

oh my goodness Subdood!! so you could (in theory) call up Nobby and be all like...so you want to go for a run today???

Hungry

oh my goodness Subdood!! so you could (in theory) call up Nobby and be all like...so you want to go for a run today???

I haven't tried that yet. But if I run my marathon in the time predicted by RW (3:07:36), I will call up Nobby and offer to buy him dinner!!

Actually, JML is (or was) in Boulder for the Lydiard class. He probably met Nobby and Lorraine while there.

JML

Actually, JML is (or was) in Boulder for the Lydiard class. He probably met Nobby and Lorraine while there.

I just got back last night.  It was a great seminar that included both classroom work and several running workouts (out and back, Hills, 50/50).  Nobby and Lorraine did a great job in explaining much of the Lydiard origins of RunningWizard in a way that was accessible without being overwhelming.    If any of you have the opportunity to attend one of these seminars, I HIGHLY recommend it.   I think that the knowledge that I gained will help both my ability to get the most out of RunningWizard based training as well as giving me the tools to be a better coach of other runners.

One of the things that I will share from the weekend is the video that I shot of Nobby demonstrating the different types of hill workouts.  I know that this particular workout has been the subject of a fair amount of discussion on this forum, and I think that the video will go a long way towards showing people the proper form.   I will post this in a few days after I edit it down to a reasonable size and run it past Nobby for review/comment.

I also note that Nobby runs a mean 50/50.  The rest of us looked a little rough around the edges doing the workout at elevation in the heat.  He made it look effortless.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

northernman

Fight The Future

Weather forecast looks pretty good for Duluth this weekend. Good luck Subdood!! It should be great.

Hungry

Weather forecast looks pretty good for Duluth this weekend. Good luck Subdood!! It should be great.

Thanks, northernman! How's the foot?

northernman

Fight The Future

Thanks, northernman! How's the foot?

Hmm, still bad. but I'm running anyway. Maybe not so smart. We'll see...