Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

doing well here, following the plan exactly until today! a friend i hadn't seen or talked to in ages asked me to run with her and it just happened that my husband had a late work day so i could make it happen. so instead of resting today i did six pretty hard miles, but it was worth it!! i really enjoyed catching up with my friend. tomorrow i am supposed to do a stride workout but i think i'll skip it this week.

do have questions about an upcoming time trial on the schedule. it says to run it at 95%.... i just don't know if i can tell the difference between running a race (i am running a 5K in florida for my spring break!) all out and holding back just a tiny bit. After my last race i dry heaved so i am guessing, don't get quite to that point. and right now i am used to running in 30 degree weather but this race will be in the low 80's probably...so that will definitely change things for me, i don't run well when i am hot. any other thoughts about how you hanldled the time trial in your training plan??

JML

do have questions about an upcoming time trial on the schedule. it says to run it at 95%.... i just don't know if i can tell the difference between running a race (i am running a 5K in florida for my spring break!) all out and holding back just a tiny bit. After my last race i dry heaved so i am guessing, don't get quite to that point. and right now i am used to running in 30 degree weather but this race will be in the low 80's probably...so that will definitely change things for me, i don't run well when i am hot. any other thoughts about how you hanldled the time trial in your training plan??

I looked back at my training log from my fall half using Running Wizard.  The RW plan called for a 5K at 21:25 and I ran a 21:17 (6:53, 6:54, 6:48).  I used the strategy of running close to the RW recommended pace and turned it up a little at the end.  I made sure NOT to tip into the red zone and felt like I could have run it a little faster.  I think that this is what the plan has in mind when it recommends a 95% effort.  It was a hard effort, but I did not finish the way I usually finish a 5K (short on breath, tunnel vision due to oxygen debt etc).

You may want to vary the pace a bit due to the conditions.  Running at 95% in 80 degrees is definitely going to be a slower pace than running in 30 degrees.  I would probably start around 10 seconds per mile slower than the RW recommended pace and see how you feel as it progresses.  If you feel good at the 1 mile mark, consider boosting the pace slightly or adjust to a slower pace if the effort in the heat is more than a 95% effort.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Obligatory runner.

Christirei - I don't run well in heat/humidity either, especially when I'm not used to it. definitely expect the FL race to feel much harder (and possibly 'disappointing' because your time won't match your expectations...) JML's estimate of how much slower to run seems about right to me, but since you're not acclimated to the heat, I would be prepared to just go by effort and forget about the time, and trust that the effort will bring you training benefits.

Are you familiar with this calculator? It gives you equivalent times for races at different temperatures: http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

Boy, I would LOVE to head to Florida right about now. Hope you have a great time!!

I looked back at my training log from my fall half using Running Wizard.  The RW plan called for a 5K at 21:25 and I ran a 21:17 (6:53, 6:54, 6:48).  I used the strategy of running close to the RW recommended pace and turned it up a little at the end.  I made sure NOT to tip into the red zone and felt like I could have run it a little faster.  I think that this is what the plan has in mind when it recommends a 95% effort.  It was a hard effort, but I did not finish the way I usually finish a 5K (short on breath, tunnel vision due to oxygen debt etc).

You may want to vary the pace a bit due to the conditions.  Running at 95% in 80 degrees is definitely going to be a slower pace than running in 30 degrees.  I would probably start around 10 seconds per mile slower than the RW recommended pace and see how you feel as it progresses.  If you feel good at the 1 mile mark, consider boosting the pace slightly or adjust to a slower pace if the effort in the heat is more than a 95% effort.

Obligatory runner.

Hey guys. Just another random health-based question from me: so, say your recovery indicators say "train don't strain" on the basis of a terrible night with a small child, you still have a tiny amount of DOMS from Wednesday's hill workout, you can feel the next cold coming on (having recovered from the last one approximately 22 hours ago), and you really wanted to do a PCR on the treadmill today.

Do you:

1. Do PCR as planned

2. Do PCR but not push the pace quite so hard

3. Ditch PCR and do easy run instead

Time zones mean the answers will come after I've already made my decision.. Really just curious what others do. I think I'm just going to accept that the PCR is NOT HAPPENING this week. If I feel good after a bit of easy running I may pick up the pace a little or even do an out and back, but it seems unlikely. I have a late orchestra rehearsal tonight and all day tomorrow and don't feel like being any sicker than I have to be...

Alas, PCR. You were not meant to be Cry

Happy Friday all!

if you are recovering from being sick and feel like you might be getting something else AND have a tough weekend planned....i would just run easy.   sorry!! hope you feel better soon!

Obligatory runner.

geez, I  was in a whiny place this morning Roll eyes I did exactly that, easy run, and it was the right decision! Thanks for the get well wishes christirei - it's just a little sniffly thing,really no big deal.

if you are recovering from being sick and feel like you might be getting something else AND have a tough weekend planned....i would just run easy.   sorry!! hope you feel better soon!

Hungry

geez, I  was in a whiny place this morning Roll eyes I did exactly that, easy run, and it was the right decision! Thanks for the get well wishes christirei - it's just a little sniffly thing,really no big deal.

Hi RHR, I'm late to respond, but glad to see that the easy run was the right decision. So far, my 10 weeks of experience with the recovery indicators tells me that, if anything, they underestimate my need for recovery. In other words, if they tell me "train, don't strain," I really need to take it easy. If they say anything below that ("take an easy day" or "danger"), I'm probably about to get sick! To be clear, I've only had 3 occasions in those 10 weeks where it said anything other than "fully recovered," but those 3 occasions were clearly times where I needed to take it easy.

Orchestra rehearsal sounds like a great way to recover from running!

Bacon Party!

I'm only 3 weeks on the plan, but so far agree with your assessment of the recovery indicators. I'm still using heart rate variability (HRV) as my primary guide and it seems to show things before the RW indicators do - lousy sleep, stress, coming down with a cold, etc.

And, with HRV, I've become quite vigilant about monitoring for stress issues (generally work/life stress) - seems to leave the door wide open for injury (and I have a history of ligament issues in my foot - exactly where things seem to want to go wrong when the adrenals are taxed).

Still, it's interesting to see how this is unfolding and I enjoy having more numbers and stuff to look at. Clown

I'm also enjoying how I'm making progress but my training load appears to be staying balanced (TRIMP) - work & recover, repeat. (Even more stuff to look at!)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Obligatory runner.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing actually. The recovery indicators are not a replacement for using your brain Smile And the software (I think of it as The Wizard, sorry) doesn't know if you have DOMS, the sniffles, or a busy weekend ahead with no time to rest and recover. Sometimes I think that the best thing about the recovery indicators is how they force you to pay attention to what you're doing with the rest of your time, I mean, to integrate running more into your daily life and think about how it all hangs together. I don't even know what "train don't strain" is supposed to mean, but it did make me step back from my toddler-esque "BUT I WANT TO DO A PCR WAAAAHHH SO UNFAIR" mode and think about whether doing such a strenuous run under those circumstances would really move my training in the right direction, or whether I would just end up having to take yet another day off as a result.

I should mention that I spent the entire day playing Czech music, so my ability to string words together is somewhat compromised. I hope the above paragraph made sense. One of my top training mistakes in the past - probably number 3 on the list after "not enough mileage" and "running intervals way too fast" - has been to underestimate the importance of recovery and balance. Even hobby joggers can benefit from thinking more like elite runners...and I feel like the RI's help me remember that.

So what does "train don't strain" mean to you? Personally I take it to mean scrap any thought of doing quality work and just see what else your legs feel up to. I ended up doing an 80 minute easy aerobic run, which maybe doesn't sound much like taking it easy, but hey, it was definitely training and no straining was involved. (honestly, I felt surprisingly good after half an hour, if not actually peppy...) If the RI said to take an easy day, I'd take that to mean no more than a short jog.

JML

So what does "train don't strain" mean to you? Personally I take it to mean scrap any thought of doing quality work and just see what else your legs feel up to. I ended up doing an 80 minute easy aerobic run, which maybe doesn't sound much like taking it easy, but hey, it was definitely training and no straining was involved. (honestly, I felt surprisingly good after half an hour, if not actually peppy...) If the RI said to take an easy day, I'd take that to mean no more than a short jog.

I think that you hit it on the head with your interpretation of  "train don't strain".  When I find myself with the recovery indicators in this state, I keep the mileage or the pace at the lower end of the recommended range or rearrange the workout schedule.  An example would be this past Thursday where I swapped out the scheduled speedwork in favor of the PCR which feels easier to me.  My recovery indicators were clear in the morning but I felt worse as the day went on as I think that I had a cold coming on.   When I arrived home in the evening, I knew that the speedwork would be a bad idea and set off on the 'easy' PCR with the thought of cutting it short or dialing back the pace as needed.  The run went reasonably well but I was fully prepared to cut back the pace if the effort required was too hard.

I woke up today after a good night's sleep and set off to do the speedwork.  I knew when I finished that I had made the correct choice in rearranging the workouts.  Nine total miles including 10x400 at a somewhat aggressive pace would have gone badly on Thursday and it was much better to run it today when I felt better.    I think that it is important to adhere to the schedule, but it is also important to know your limits on a given day and avoid forcing a workout when you are at less than 100 percent.

Bacon Party!

Train don't strain, to me, means, play it smart - trust.

FWIW, I hate the idea of "quality" work as it is generally understood/used. To me there isn't a single run that anyone should do that isn't quality - that is, there is an ideal effort that should be put into every run in order to maximize training effect (no particular type of run is better or more beneficial than another - only the timing of such types of runs ... a recovery jog on a day where such is needed is a quality run, a tempo run on such a day is not)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Obligatory runner.

totally agree. I was using quality as shorthand for intevals tempos etc, but dislike the word as well. It smacks of "easy running = junk miles". Ugh!

Train don't strain, to me, means, play it smart - trust.

FWIW, I hate the idea of "quality" work as it is generally understood/used. To me there isn't a single run that anyone should do that isn't quality - that is, there is an ideal effort that should be put into every run in order to maximize training effect (no particular type of run is better or more beneficial than another - only the timing of such types of runs ... a recovery jog on a day where such is needed is a quality run, a tempo run on such a day is not)

Hungry

For me, "train don't strain" shall mean take an easy day.

And, "take an easy day" shall mean take a day off.

And "danger" shall mean call 911.

So what does "train don't strain" mean to you?

JML

For me, "train don't strain" shall mean take an easy day.

And, "take an easy day" shall mean take a day off.

And "danger" shall mean call 911.

I tripped it to Danger once during my last training cycle.  I stupidly stacked up a bunch of runs due to a scheduling problem [work is silly] and also did not sleep very much.  As I was typing in my numbers, I was already feeling like junk.   The Danger signal was all I needed to convince me to eat waffles and then go back to bed.    Thanks Running Wizard!

Hungry

So, a week ago, I posted that I had an awesome run in San Francisco -- doubly awesome for someone who has been running indoors on a treadmill during a Minnesota winter that just won't end. Well, this weekend, I took the family on a ski trip to Duluth, MN. I mapped out my Saturday morning Long Run in the area near our lodge by the ski hill. It looked awesome on the map, a 13 mile loop that began on a road by the lodge, wound down through the woods, then some highways and residential areas before heading back toward the ski area.

We had gotten 6 inches of fresh snow overnight by the time I woke up to run. The roads weren't plowed at the ski area yet, so I decided to run my route in reverse (hoping that the highways and residential areas would be plowed, and that the road through the woods would get plowed by the time I got there). The first 8 miles went well. Then, I turned onto the road that wound back through the woods, only to find a barricade and a "Road Closed" sign. Apparently, this road is closed to traffic all winter long. So, I briefly thought about turning around and backtracking 8 miles, but I also thought it might be interesting to run on the closed road ...

I ran those last 5 miles, mostly uphill, in 6 inches of fresh snow that were layered on top of a winter's worth of old snow. The old snow underneath was very uneven, from the handful of other fools who had traveled there, either on foot, snowmobile, snowshoes, etc., which made me fearful I would twist my ankle.

It was very foolish, and I should have turned around within the first half mile or so. About 2 miles into this stretch, I started to think about whether there might be any bears in this area. I saw some deer tracks, and some snake-like tracks that looked like a small rodent had scampered across the surface of the snow. But I don't think I saw another living creature during that stretch. When I finally got back to our lodge, I sighed a huge sigh of relief.  I am back home now. The treadmill doesn't look so bad anymore.