Running-Wizard

Countdown - It's race time! (Read 49 times)

Hey all...I know lots of us have spring races coming up. How is everyone feeling? I am officially in my taper phase and goal race is in two weeks. Had such a great race two weeks ago it has given me a lot of confidence heading into the last two weeks of training, also can't believe that it is almost over!! Hoping to run strong these last two weeks so I can carry that momentum into the race weekend!

How about everyone else, getting close to the end?? Looking forward to seeing all of our results and how closely our actual times compare to predicted times

Excited for you, Christirei! 2 weeks of taper? You're going to kill that 5k.

Things are ok here. I'm a few weeks away from race excitement and feeling a bit mired in the tired-and-slow feelings of the anaerobic phase. I was expecting this - speedwork has always made me feel this way - but I'm VERY happy that 3 of 4 interval workouts are now complete! I may have a party on Thursday after my last interval session.

My goal race is on May 5th.

MM #6177

My goal race is on May 5th.

Same here. Was feeling great until yesterday's out & back. Gah.....

JML

Enjoy the taper and get ready for your race Christirei.  The hay is in the barn and the only thing left to do is go have fun on race day.  I am sure that you will kill it.

I am just about to enter the coordination phase and things are rounding out nicely.  I had a fartlek run on Monday with my running group where I surged up to pace for a quarter mile with another masters runner (cough cough…old guy) and was kind of shocked at the pace that was showing on my Garmin at the end.  Looking forward to race day on May 19th.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Just finished a set of cut downs (probably one of my favorite workouts in this plan) and was thinking how I have one week left!!! ahhhhhh, the nerves are starting to kick in already, doubts that even though I had that great 5K a couple of weeks ago I will not be able to follow through on this goal race. When I started running a 21 minute 5K wasn't even in my vocabulary, it was for those "elite runners" well now i have learned quite a bit and I can already tell that once I hit this goal....a sub twenty is probably going to be in my sights and next winter i'll be doing all of this all over again! it's amazing how good I feel right now, but still so nervous. i think it is the fact that I have put so much dedicated time into this race, only one other time have I raced after following a training plan. If I screw this up or miss my goal time then I will be extra disappointed because I worked for this one.

Hope you guys are feeling good (or not so good depending where you are Wink Wink and looking forward to your races as well

Christi:

How did the mile time trial go?  Remember; it's NOT to see how fast you can go!!  Not yet--save it till THE target race.  Same with Up-Tempo workout next week.  Discipline yourself and control your temptation to see how fast you can go.  Sounds like you are really coming right.  If you push too much "just because you feel so good and right" then down goes the good condition.  Jealously guard the good racing condition that you had built up so far.

If you feel too good on the Up-Tempo day, and you feel like you just "can't run any slower", then go for a relatively nice longish jog of, say, 45 minutes.  Where you live, it may be getting nice and warm; but put on extra clothes (pants) to slow you down.  This is what we call "putting the cap on" your racing condition.  5k shouldn't matter THAT much but, for a marathon, for example, if you feel like that and let it go, you may feel so good at the start and take off so fast and hit the wall at 16-miles.  It's ALWAYS a balancing act.  Balance between stamina and speed.  Be sure to start conservatively.  Chances are, start out feeling that you're running 15-seconds (per mile) slower than you had predicted.  Then you'll be right on target or slightly faster!! ;o)

Just finished a set of cut downs (probably one of my favorite workouts in this plan) and was thinking how I have one week left!!! ahhhhhh, the nerves are starting to kick in already, doubts that even though I had that great 5K a couple of weeks ago I will not be able to follow through on this goal race. When I started running a 21 minute 5K wasn't even in my vocabulary, it was for those "elite runners" well now i have learned quite a bit and I can already tell that once I hit this goal....a sub twenty is probably going to be in my sights and next winter i'll be doing all of this all over again! it's amazing how good I feel right now, but still so nervous. i think it is the fact that I have put so much dedicated time into this race, only one other time have I raced after following a training plan. If I screw this up or miss my goal time then I will be extra disappointed because I worked for this one.

Hope you guys are feeling good (or not so good depending where you are Wink Wink and looking forward to your races as well

My mile time trial last weekend wasn't so good, but there were other factors like no sleep the night before and a very stressful week leading up to it. But my 800 this morning rocked and I felt good, even though the wind was gusting crazy today and I did a solid half of each lap straight into the wind! Definitely nervous about next weekend's race (and praying there isn't crazy wind like there is today) but feeling good

Happy

Good luck, Christirei! Have fun at the race -- I'm sure you'll do great!  I look forward to hearing how it went.

I am running a 5K on April 14 (Sunday), so I may have a race story of my own to share soon. It will be my first race since a marathon last October. The 5K is not my goal race for my current plan (goal race is still 11 weeks away!), but it's a race that I've run almost every year since 2007 (most of which I ran without any kind of training). There are some guys from my former employer who run it as a team, and they do quite well year after year. I'll be an honorary member of their team, so I don't want to let them down!

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

My goal race is Boston on April 15 and I am freaking out a bit right now. Was feeling pretty good until I got flattened with a bad, bad cold/flu this week. Could barely get out of bed for a few days. I did mangage to get in a few short jogs, not trying to push myself too much (and slow down recovery), but keeping the legs moving to hold on to some of the training. I waver between thinking that this has totally disrupted my training and thinking that resting during the first week of a 2-week taper is not so bad. A race or fast out and back is out of the question today, but perhaps tomorrow I can get in some mp or hmp tempo miles. If I can get some mp miles in next week (but not too much -- what is the right balance?), I am hoping I can be in shape for the 15th.

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/21

Happy

My goal race is Boston on April 15 and I am freaking out a bit right now. Was feeling pretty good until I got flattened with a bad, bad cold/flu this week. Could barely get out of bed for a few days. I did mangage to get in a few short jogs, not trying to push myself too much (and slow down recovery), but keeping the legs moving to hold on to some of the training. I waver between thinking that this has totally disrupted my training and thinking that resting during the first week of a 2-week taper is not so bad. A race or fast out and back is out of the question today, but perhaps tomorrow I can get in some mp or hmp tempo miles. If I can get some mp miles in next week (but not too much -- what is the right balance?), I am hoping I can be in shape for the 15th.

I'm not an expert, but I've got to believe this is a very small speed bump in the overall training process. All the important work is done, really. Are you fully recovered from the cold now? You've run a number of marathons before (including Boston), so I think you'll make the right call whatever you do. If I were in your position (assuming you're recovered from the flu/cold), I think I would continue with whatever your originally scheduled taper plan is (i.e., I wouldn't try to make up any runs you missed, or do any speedwork that you might have missed during the illness). I am looking ahead at my own marathon taper schedule to see if I can compare ... I've got a "5K or 10K Race or Time Trial" scheduled 7 days before my marathon. After that, it's some pretty light workouts with the exception of an "Uptempo" 1-mile run 4 days before the race. So, I guess if you don't feel well enough to do some kind of time trial tomorrow or Monday, I'd probably just skip it and continue the taper as scheduled. I wouldn't want to do anything intense within a week of Boston. Just my opinion, and as always, I defer to the opinions of those who know more than me about this stuff.

Good luck at Boston! I look forward to hearing the report!

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

My gut feeling is; forget about what's been missed; carry on as it's planned and don't worry about it.  Far too many people miss out a good race by trying to scramble things around in the last minute.  And it is a bigger mistake to try to "catch up" with the missed workout than just carry on.  Remember; the Golden Rule is: "If in doubt, do less!!"  Use Recovery Indicators to the fullest; if it tells you that you should take a day off (for whatever the reason, lack of sleep, high HR, whatever), carry on as you're told and not worry about it.  It is NOT what you're doing in the final 2 weeks that would determine your performance; it's 2 months before.  If anything, people do too much in the final 2 weeks.

We hear these stories over and over again; yet, somehow not emphasized enough.  Abebe Bikila had an appendectomy a month leading up to the Olympics.  He won the marathon gold for the second time, setting the new world record.  Carlos Lopes got hit by a car a couple of weeks before LA Olympics and had to take some days off.  Ran alright.  I would say don't even be bothered with MP miles.  Just carry on.

Thanks, this is very reassuring. I'll just hop back on the taper plan when I can and work on building up my strength by eating right and getting enough sleep over the next week.

My gut feeling is; forget about what's been missed; carry on as it's planned and don't worry about it.  Far too many people miss out a good race by trying to scramble things around in the last minute.  And it is a bigger mistake to try to "catch up" with the missed workout than just carry on.  Remember; the Golden Rule is: "If in doubt, do less!!"  Use Recovery Indicators to the fullest; if it tells you that you should take a day off (for whatever the reason, lack of sleep, high HR, whatever), carry on as you're told and not worry about it.  It is NOT what you're doing in the final 2 weeks that would determine your performance; it's 2 months before.  If anything, people do too much in the final 2 weeks.

We hear these stories over and over again; yet, somehow not emphasized enough.  Abebe Bikila had an appendectomy a month leading up to the Olympics.  He won the marathon gold for the second time, setting the new world record.  Carlos Lopes got hit by a car a couple of weeks before LA Olympics and had to take some days off.  Ran alright.  I would say don't even be bothered with MP miles.  Just carry on.

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/21

I am one of those nervous nelly type of runners, so race week i am a bunch of nerves!! ugh. my thoughts this week are that if i just spent four months working on this 5K and then miss my goal time how disappointed i'll be in myself....

Also, since i am tense and twitchy at everything...if one more person asks me why I needed to do a 5K training plan, cause "gosh, I thought you ran a lot more than three miles at a time" i might just smack them!

I am one of those nervous nelly type of runners, so race week i am a bunch of nerves!! ugh. my thoughts this week are that if i just spent four months working on this 5K and then miss my goal time how disappointed i'll be in myself....

Also, since i am tense and twitchy at everything...if one more person asks me why I needed to do a 5K training plan, cause "gosh, I thought you ran a lot more than three miles at a time" i might just smack them!

Christirei - I feel your pain! Not that it helps you at all, but I'm the same way right now and my race isn't for 25 more days. Deep breathing? Meditation? Yoga? Would also suggest not mentioning it to people who don't run. No good can come of that! That's what we're here for! Big grin

Packet pick up was yesterday and am happy to report that the tshirt actually fits!  Smile

Nerves have been building all week, but this morning's three mile jog was perfect, great way to get me up and out of bed and it really did help to relax me and now i just want it to be tomorrow morning!!

Hope you all are still running strong!