Running-Wizard

PSA: Read the instructions! (Read 54 times)

Obligatory runner.

So I'm kind of annoyed with myself right now. I just got back from doing 100/100's on the track. Was quite proud of myself for doing all 12 of them until I got home and realized I'd overlooked a key detail and thus done it all wrong. I did the straights all-out and jogged the curves. No! The instructions are to FLOAT the curves! Does it matter? Unfortunately, yes! In my case, it was meant to be 21 sec. sprint/29-second "float", meaning that the "float" is not much of a recovery at all. That's about a 5min/km pace for the float. I jogged the curves basically at my warmup pace, which made it relatively easy to do the fast 100's in 19 seconds but, sadly for me, defeated the point of the workout!

Don't be like me, guys. Do it right!

This announcement brought to you by the president and chief dumbass of the International Association for Paying Attention To The Details (IAPATTD).

So I'm kind of annoyed with myself right now. I just got back from doing 100/100's on the track. Was quite proud of myself for doing all 12 of them until I got home and realized I'd overlooked a key detail and thus done it all wrong. I did the straights all-out and jogged the curves. No! The instructions are to FLOAT the curves! Does it matter? Unfortunately, yes! In my case, it was meant to be 21 sec. sprint/29-second "float", meaning that the "float" is not much of a recovery at all. That's about a 5min/km pace for the float. I jogged the curves basically at my warmup pace, which made it relatively easy to do the fast 100's in 19 seconds but, sadly for me, defeated the point of the workout!

This announcement brought to you by the president and chief dumbass of the International Association for Paying Attention To The Details (IAPATTD).

Well, it is our fault too--we've been talking about filming some of the workouts; hill training for one for sure...and these 50/50 and 100/100.  I'm sure these are quite a bit different workouts from most people are familiar with.  It always makes me chuckle when people talk about Tabata sprints--first of all, it's nothing new and we have that in RW and Lydiard was using it way back in 1950.  It was, in fact, developed and used quite extensively by a Hungarian coach in the 1950s.  So "researchers" found that it "dramatically" improves VO2Max.  Yeah, we know that and we have that.  And, what's more importantly, our plan trains you to be able to effectively utilize that workout WHEN we use it.  Again, it's all in the FLOW...

As with all the workouts, the numbers (like X12 or whatever) is just a guide.  Know this--it done correctly (float instead of jog), this is a very tough workout.  It's no surprising to see a runner not being able to complete the whole number.  In fact, 50/50 is even tougher!!  But it's also FUN.  It's a very different workout and it really works on your breathing...and legs!!  You try to do 50/50, say, 3 laps around the track (X12), your legs will feel like rubber!!  But with ALL the training that you had completed so far--distance work, hills, intervals...--you should be quite superbly FIT and such an exertion will give you a sense of...strength, well-deserved fitness, power...  It's a good feeling.

Hungry

Once again, I will benefit from the "mistakes" of others. Many thanks Chief!

Obligatory runner.

Nobby - thanks for your answer (and for graciously taking on some of the blame...though really, it is my fault for reading the instructions before I had any coffee....). You know, I don't think I could make it through 12 of them if I did it correctly. That sounds really, really hard.

Subdood - No need to thank me. It's just what I do.

RunSaintRun

Nobby - thanks for your answer (and for graciously taking on some of the blame...though really, it is my fault for reading the instructions before I had any coffee....). You know, I don't think I could make it through 12 of them if I did it correctly. That sounds really, really hard.

Subdood - No need to thank me. It's just what I do.

Well I won't thank you but will give you a big ((hug)).  good to know, that specific workout is about a month or so out for me.

Obligatory runner.

Chief Dumbass reporting back! Did this workout again today with floats instead of jogs and made it through 8 100/100's before floating became rather difficult. Decided to stop there. Am I feeling sharp? Not particularly, but then I guess I wouldn't know...