Running-Wizard

Why people who train using the Lydiard method don't do 20 mile runs (Read 65 times)

JML

jML, do you think the principle applies to much slower runners like me? The thought process makes sense, but do you think there is a pace threshold at which runners slower than x pace would not benefit from this training principle?

MTA: or is the answer to a runner such as myself; don't run a half until you are faster?

I do think that the principle applies to runners of all abilities.  In looking at the other comments here, I also think that the plan that RW came up with for you may be a little conservative.  I second what others have said about running at the higher end of the mileage range for the longer runs if you feel OK and your recovery indicators stay clear.

Just curious: what is your longest long run in the plan in miles?

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

8.5 miles is longest run, range is 6.5-9.5. It is actually in the week labelled 15 weeks before race. The duration ranges from 1:37-2:06. I've been running all RW runs by duration and running the avg or bolded duration. I don't look at pace or distance until I'm done, I've been runnjng by RPE and my garmin is set to only show time. After the 15 weeks out run, it drops to 7.5 Until 10 weeks out, then it drops to 6.5 until 6 weeks out and then 5.5 until the taper. Maybe the plan came out conservative because where it asks you if you've been running consistently for however long I did not check yes, because of my lapse in July-aug?

Hungry

Supersono -- I think I also sensed you have a strong desire to run the half without walk breaks, and that you've done half mara's before with a 3:1 run/walk ratio. I would just say that walk breaks are a good thing, IMHO. Short walk breaks (e.g., at every water stop, maybe walk just long enough to finish a full cup of water without spilling or coughing) can actually improve your overall pace/time in some cases. I did this last fall for a marathon, and it didn't hurt my time much. And I recovered quickly afterwards. The ratio might be 15:1 run/walk, but I wouldn't focus too hard on not walking at all. Just my two cents.

Supersono99

I plan on walking enough to drink at water stations but not regular planned intervals. I don't want to HAVE to walk due to not being able to cover the distance.

JML

8.5 miles is longest run, range is 6.5-9.5. It is actually in the week labelled 15 weeks before race. The duration ranges from 1:37-2:06. I've been running all RW runs by duration and running the avg or bolded duration. I don't look at pace or distance until I'm done, I've been runnjng by RPE and my garmin is set to only show time. After the 15 weeks out run, it drops to 7.5 Until 10 weeks out, then it drops to 6.5 until 6 weeks out and then 5.5 until the taper. Maybe the plan came out conservative because where it asks you if you've been running consistently for however long I did not check yes, because of my lapse in July-aug?

I would advise taking it up to 9 miles for the run 15 weeks out from the race and then keeping it at the higher end of the range as the plan progresses.  I think that your plan may be on the conservative side, but I also think you will arrive at the starting line well prepared to run your best.  I have seen numerous people run a half marathon on a longest run of 8 miles with good results using training approaches that are not as structured / well designed as RW.

BTW - Kudos to you for running by RPE / duration.  This is an excellent way to develop a sense of effort which will serve you well going forward.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

Thank you, JML. I will bump up the LR to the higher end of the range.