Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

zonykel

I'm training for a half marathon in early May. I've completed the aerobic phase of training and just finished the first week of hills. I'm scheduled to run 6 days a week, but unfortunately, every once in a while something happens that prevents me from doing all 6 days.

I've had one relatively minor injury that slide lined me for 3 straight days, but other than that, I've been able to handle the work load. This is by far the most I've run on a regular basis (I started running in mid 2010). I'm crossing my fingers that I remain healthy until race day.

The area where I live is pretty flat (the call it the "Low Country"), so for hills, I have to use the treadmill. It can get pretty challenging once I go past 7% incline. I keep my pace relatively slow for those hill workouts.

Although I started the running wizard plan in early December, I actually started running (again) in November. Weight loss since then seems to be going well (I was in the low 150s and now I'm in the low 140s... not quite a 10-lb loss, but almost). Not sure I'll get to 137 lbs (what I would consier my "ideal" racing weight), but we'll see.

Hope everybody else is doing well with their training plan.

Man, the Low Country sounds great to me right now!! I live in a very hilly area and it is pretty challenging to find a good straightway to do intervals in! low and flat sounds nice to me right now after a challenging - very windy!!- PCR

Hungry

I just finished week 7 of the 24-week marathon plan (although I missed most of week 1 due to the flu). I'd say it's going well so far, but there is still a long way to go (three more weeks of Aerobic Phase base-building still left before I start Hills). My biggest fear when I first got this plan was that I wouldn't be able to handle the mileage during this phase. My mileage the past few weeks has been significantly higher than my peak mileage during my training last summer (not a Running Wizard plan), and despite the higher miles, I feel pretty good overall. The biggest difference in the 2 plans is that I am currently doing 4 runs per week that would've been considered "Long" runs under the other plan. (The other plan had 1 "long" run per week, but runs during the week rarely took over an hour.) The biggest adjustment for me is that I now have to wake up early enough to get some fairly long runs (more than 90 minutes) done before work.

I believe that following the guidelines for each workout (especially the HR guidelines for me) has kept me from feeling sore or fatigued. We'll see if things change when Hills and Speedwork begin. I'm also itching to run a race again -- I will try to work a 5K into my schedule in April.

I also hope everyone is doing well with their training. Please share your stories!

Since I am going through the 5K plan I only have one run that takes me over the 90 min mark during the week, and I agree!! It is HARD to get myself out of bed that early to squeeze it all in!! Keep is going!

Obligatory runner.

I feel so good on my long runs lately! Maybe this is jinxing it and I shouldn't say anything...but I think it is due to the 2 longer aerobic runs during the week.

just wanted to share. Carry on...

JML

I just finished my second week of the hills phase and I am in a really good place with my training.  My legs feel strong and the suggested paces feel very much on the easy side. I ran a half marathon yesterday instead of the 14 miler called for by the plan.  I settled into a pace that felt easy and just cruised through Central Park on my way to a VERY comfortable negative split 1:52 (my PR is 1:37).  I picked up the pace a little at the end but at no point did running at what was my old PR pace from a few years ago feel taxing.  My aerobic base is really strong and I am looking forward to adding more speed as I get closer to my goal 5K.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

This is my plug for using the RW Recovery Indicators.  Today I was scheduled to run 14 miles at 8:28 pace. I woke up and felt a bit sluggish. I checked my Recovery Indicators, which I’ve gotten into the habit of doing every morning. Weight and Hours of Sleep were normal, but my Resting HR was 62 bpm. For reference, it’s been 48 bpm the last 3 days in a row. The last time it was this high was 7 weeks ago when I got the flu (and then didn’t run for almost 2 weeks).  This shows up quite sharply in my Resting HR plot (if I can paste such an image correctly ...):

When you enter your Recovery Indicators into Running Wizard, it shows a “thermometer” with 4 readings: Fully recovered; Mostly recovered; Still Recovering; and Danger – Your Stress is too high -- Take a day off. In almost 8 weeks of this plan, I’ve had just 2 days where it said anything other than Fully Recovered, and today was one of those days (it said Mostly Recovered – Train, but don’t Strain). The previous time was due to a night of very little Sleep (HR and Weight were normal), and it again said Mostly Recovered.

I ran today, but slowed WAAAYYY down – instead of 8:28, my pace was more like 11:30 (I ran on the treadmill, so it was a lot of 5-6 mph, rather than 7.1 mph). I thought I would have to quit after 3 or 4 miles, but I kept slowing the pace to a level I could maintain comfortably. I tried to keep my HR where it normally would’ve been had I been running at 8:28 pace AND was feeling 100%.  I started to feel pretty good after about an hour, and ended up running close to the planned Duration (about 10 minutes shy of the 1 hr, 58 min planned Duration). My Distance, of course, was much less (9.3 miles instead of 14), but I’m thinking that I got most of the benefit of the full workout today (i.e., almost same amount of “time on feet” )  – or as much as I could expect given how crappy I felt when I started.

Tomorrow is a Rest day, followed by an Out-and-Back day. I hope to be back to 100% in time for a solid effort Friday. But I just wanted to share this with this group. I know that Nobby makes a point of reminding us to use the Recovery Indicators, but I get the sense that not many of us are actually using them regularly. For me, it’s a good way to make sure I don’t “blindly” follow the plan when there is some pretty hard evidence telling me not to.

Obligatory runner.

Interesting, Subdood! I hope you didn't end up getting sick today. I've noticed the same thing with heart rate and impending illness (it's the one useful thing that came out of my short-lived affair with HRM's) and your post is a good reminder that I should be more consistent with the recovery indicators.

Funnily enough, I did something similar yesterday, though I didn't bother with the RI's because it was so obvious that it was going to be a crappy day - toddler was up half the night and I felt some sort of virus brewing. You know when you wake up and feel like you just got run over by a truck? Yeah. Anyway, I put the kid in the baby jogger and proceeded to run 13 kilometers in 90 minutes. That is SO SLOW! I usually run 15 kilometers in that amount of time! But whatever! I too made the decision, around 5 km, to just keep going. Workout got done and I'm sure it was better than no workout at all...

This is my plug for using the RW Recovery Indicators.  Today I was scheduled to run 14 miles at 8:28 pace. I woke up and felt a bit sluggish. I checked my Recovery Indicators, which I’ve gotten into the habit of doing every morning. Weight and Hours of Sleep were normal, but my Resting HR was 62 bpm. For reference, it’s been 48 bpm the last 3 days in a row. The last time it was this high was 7 weeks ago when I got the flu (and then didn’t run for almost 2 weeks).  This shows up quite sharply in my Resting HR plot (if I can paste such an image correctly ...):

When you enter your Recovery Indicators into Running Wizard, it shows a “thermometer” with 4 readings: Fully recovered; Mostly recovered; Still Recovering; and Danger – Your Stress is too high -- Take a day off. In almost 8 weeks of this plan, I’ve had just 2 days where it said anything other than Fully Recovered, and today was one of those days (it said Mostly Recovered – Train, but don’t Strain). The previous time was due to a night of very little Sleep (HR and Weight were normal), and it again said Mostly Recovered.

I ran today, but slowed WAAAYYY down – instead of 8:28, my pace was more like 11:30 (I ran on the treadmill, so it was a lot of 5-6 mph, rather than 7.1 mph). I thought I would have to quit after 3 or 4 miles, but I kept slowing the pace to a level I could maintain comfortably. I tried to keep my HR where it normally would’ve been had I been running at 8:28 pace AND was feeling 100%.  I started to feel pretty good after about an hour, and ended up running close to the planned Duration (about 10 minutes shy of the 1 hr, 58 min planned Duration). My Distance, of course, was much less (9.3 miles instead of 14), but I’m thinking that I got most of the benefit of the full workout today (i.e., almost same amount of “time on feet” )  – or as much as I could expect given how crappy I felt when I started.

Tomorrow is a Rest day, followed by an Out-and-Back day. I hope to be back to 100% in time for a solid effort Friday. But I just wanted to share this with this group. I know that Nobby makes a point of reminding us to use the Recovery Indicators, but I get the sense that not many of us are actually using them regularly. For me, it’s a good way to make sure I don’t “blindly” follow the plan when there is some pretty hard evidence telling me not to.

I have faithfully been plugging in my recovery indicators and so far i haven't recieved any messages about taking an easy day. It's a bit tricky for me since I wake up at four thirty and try to be out the door before five, i don't stop and take my HR before I leave...typically i do it after my runs, so don't know if that messes up my resting HR a bit, it's probably still coming down frome the run?? Not sure, but I always take it after the run, so at least that kind of equalizes it.

This group is so great! I'm so glad that JML got it started so we could all cheer each other on!  I only have two weeks of hill training and because of weather missed it last week, so i am hoping the roads clear enough today that I can finally get outside and at least get one hill workout in before the next phase starts.

Hungry

Interesting, Subdood! I hope you didn't end up getting sick today. I've noticed the same thing with heart rate and impending illness (it's the one useful thing that came out of my short-lived affair with HRM's) and your post is a good reminder that I should be more consistent with the recovery indicators.

Harriet -- After I posted that lengthy dissertation, I looked again at my graph and thought, huh, I hope I'm not getting sick again. Well, the last 24 hours have been absolutely miserable. I got a flu shot earlier this year, but despite that, I've now had the flu twice in the last 2 months. The workout that I did yesterday, as easy as it was, really hurts today. My legs are really sore! My Rest day today is a good thing. Not sure if I'll even attempt to run tomorrow; we'll see how it goes. My resting HR today is in the 80's! My weight is also down (an unhealthy amount). In hindsight, I wonder if I would've been better off (upon seeing the "spike" in my HR yesterday) taking the day completely off from running.

Christi -- I like this group, too. I've never posted on forums before because I've seen some where people get very intimidating and nasty to each other. People on RA seem, in general, very helpful and supportive of each other, and even more so within this group. I've learned more about running in the last 2 years here than I did prior to that (and I was a cross-country runner for 6 years back in the day).

Obligatory runner.

Oh man! That sucks, Subdood. Rest up!!

Yeah, this is a nice group, and RunningAhead in general is a good place.

@Christirei - so I guess the hills-on-treadmill thing didn't work out? Bummer. Hope you can get some real hills in! I think you're meant to take your heart rate first thing in the morning, or at least after sitting around doing nothing for a while so that it reflects your true "resting" rate. Geeking around and taking my heart rate at different times, I've found that even just getting up and doing stuff around the apartment elevates it by at least 10%. Then again I don't often get to take it first thing in the morning because my priority is generally the dude in the next room shouting "MAMA UP! MAMA UP!" Or else I'm jolted out of a deep sleep by the cats jumping on me, which causes my heart rate to spike noticeably Smile

Anyway. Off to run for 90 minutes or so!

Harriet -- After I posted that lengthy dissertation, I looked again at my graph and thought, huh, I hope I'm not getting sick again. Well, the last 24 hours have been absolutely miserable. I got a flu shot earlier this year, but despite that, I've now had the flu twice in the last 2 months. The workout that I did yesterday, as easy as it was, really hurts today. My legs are really sore! My Rest day today is a good thing. Not sure if I'll even attempt to run tomorrow; we'll see how it goes. My resting HR today is in the 80's! My weight is also down (an unhealthy amount). In hindsight, I wonder if I would've been better off (upon seeing the "spike" in my HR yesterday) taking the day completely off from running.

Christi -- I like this group, too. I've never posted on forums before because I've seen some where people get very intimidating and nasty to each other. People on RA seem, in general, very helpful and supportive of each other, and even more so within this group. I've learned more about running in the last 2 years here than I did prior to that (and I was a cross-country runner for 6 years back in the day).

SubDood, so sorry that you are sick! rest up. I know that this year the flu vaccine is comprised of three different strains and that at least one is a very good match for what has been going around, so i guess you got the some other random strain Sad  I got the flu in January and what really helped me feel better quickly was drinking pure pineapple juice with scoops of vitamin c powder...really helps amp up your immune system so you can fight it out. I would say you shouldn't run at all if you feel this bad, it will only tear your body down more instead of just resting and giving yourself a break for a few days.

hope you feel better soon!

Bacon Party!

First week on the plan ... just did my first Out & Back.

Became a bit intimidated by it when, just before heading out the door, I read the day's description of it - Tempo Run Shocked

Having spent the last year and half training exclusively Maffetone / LHR style, it was kinda fun to "go fast."

Although, I failed - it took me 5 seconds longer to get home. (Of course, the increased traffic [causing me to dodge and parry] and headwind might have had a little something to do with it.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

JML

Buzzie - 5 seconds sounds close enough to me.  I would blame the difference on sunspot activity that interfered with your Garmin.  That seems reasonable........

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Bacon Party!

Buzzie - 5 seconds sounds close enough to me.  I would blame the difference on sunspot activity that interfered with your Garmin.  That seems reasonable........

Yeah! That must be it!

Meanwhile, in observance of Unplug, I will be running sans Garmin tomorrow. No PC, tablet, or phone for me either! Shocked

Liz

pace sera, sera