Running-Wizard

I have jinxed yet another race! (Read 29 times)

Hungry

I ran a half marathon today, but did not "race" it. My RW schedule said 12-mile Jog, so I really kept the pace relaxed and used this run to recover from yesterday's PCR. This is the 3rd race I've run this spring during my marathon training plan, and there have been "difficulties" associated with each. The first was the 5K where we were stopped by a train TWICE. The second was the 25K trail race, where the snow had frozen pock-marks that threatened to twist ones ankles with each step. Today's race was cold and windy -- 38 degrees with winds gusting up to 25 mph. I lined up near the 2:00 hour pace-runner, and settled in for a comfortable run with about 600 or so others. At about mile 4, I saw a large group of very fast runners merging onto the trail we were on. Turns out, the race organizers had a young person on a bike leading the runners on the course. She took a wrong turn at some point, and a fairly large group (including the fastest runners) had to turn around, back-track, then weave their way through the plodding masses of us "back of the pack" runners.

A friend of mine got caught up in that fiasco, but it allowed me to chat with him briefly when he caught up to me. He and the others were not very happy.  My Jog pace today kept me from being caught up in the confusion, so no complaints here. But if I had been trying to beat my PR from last year, I would've been a bit upset.

Is it me? Do I bring bad luck? This string of bad luck better end soon. I've got one or two more races to run before my goal race.

If you and I showed up at the same race, no one would find the finish.

Hungry

If you and I showed up at the same race, no one would find the finish.

Sounds like a plan!

zonykel

Throw some salt over your shoulder before your next race. Wink

I would consider paying to watch that race.

Sounds like a plan!

Hungry

Yes, but the trick would be figuring out WHERE to sit!

I practically invited Josh to run the Twin Cities Marathon in October, but he has an aversion to Wisconsin, which apparently includes a one-state buffer zone (ruling out Minnesota, of course). It's probably for the best.

It's not Wisconsin - it's relatives. Wisconsin is fine by me.

Hungry

It's not Wisconsin - it's relatives. Wisconsin is fine by me.

Oh right, sorry.  Totally understand the relative thing. Moving from North Carolina to the Olympic Peninsula keeps relatives in Wisconsin about as far away as possible while staying within the contiguous 48 states.

Speaking of relatives in Wisconsin: My cousin is getting married in Madison, Wisconsin in mid-August -- the same weekend as the Madison Mini-Marathon (Half). I may have to sign up for that (and see how badly that turns out).

Hungry

You could serve funky millet at the aid stations.