Running-Wizard

Questions on my plan (Read 48 times)

perryw

I've never done strides, so it will be a learning experience for me.  The RPE is 2-6, the same as the easy fartlek.  The out-and-back is 4-7.  Here is the description from the site:

Strides: 6-10 100m with jog-walk recovery interval

1. Warm-up for 15 minutes
    2. Stride-out 10 times over approximately 100m. Run fast but without tension. Let your body decelerate naturally instead of stopping quickly. The key is relaxed fast – such as starting a 5k race.
    3. Jog back to the start – take about 2-3 minutes of recovery jog so you have completely recovered your breathing.
    4. Cool-down 10–15 minutes

Variation: Run continuous laps of 300 jog/100 stride.

This is the area that I'm thinking of doing the strides on, about 1.2 miles from the house: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5947152

There is a route from our Thursday night meeting spot that I could run that would allow me to do the fartlek workout easier than measured strides and there's some hills on it.  So maybe that's the better idea.. swapping the fartlek and strides nights.

Fartlek: Speed Play

1. Warm-up 10 - 15 minutes
    2. Run the whole gamut of paces over an undulating area such as a park or a golf course. Mix in some fast stride-outs, sustained runs for a minute or 2, short hill sprints, downhill strides, etc, making sure that you have easy recovery jogs in between.
    3. Cool-down 10 - 15 minutes

I tried about 1.5 miles of fartlek tonight, just around the flat neighborhood.  Picked out random light posts and mailboxes to run quickly to.  Medium speed one time, quicker the next.  Shoes I'm wearing are beating up my feet.  Blisters and hot spots.. just need to throw em away!

That sounds like a plan.

Strides don't have to be measured, but they're supposed to be somewhere near 100m whereas fartleks are can have 10 sec spurts up to several minutes or more.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Yep, good plan! Definitely get some new shoes though. Your legs are going to be working hard for you and you want to treat them right Smile

perryw

I do have a couple other pairs of shoes... just too cheap to give up on a pair with only 60 miles on them.  They're Saucony Guide's and the sizing on Saucony shoes just doesn't seem to jive with my feet.  Size 12 pinches my pinky toe and 12.5 is so loose I get hot spots and blisters on my forefoot and arches.  It's disappointing because the shoes feel great on my feet walking around.  I bought them last year and had the first pair replaced by Saucony because the tread was flat in places after 50 miles. I am done with them now though - to the gym bag they go!

My legs do feel tired this morning after that run yesterday.  I'm glad I didn't start the plan 24 weeks out and am giving myself a few weeks of easing in to the workouts.

I do appreciate the advice you guys & gals have given me Cool

I do have a couple other pairs of shoes... just too cheap to give up on a pair with only 60 miles on them.  They're Saucony Guide's and the sizing on Saucony shoes just doesn't seem to jive with my feet.  Size 12 pinches my pinky toe and 12.5 is so loose I get hot spots and blisters on my forefoot and arches.  It's disappointing because the shoes feel great on my feet walking around.  I bought them last year and had the first pair replaced by Saucony because the tread was flat in places after 50 miles. I am done with them now though - to the gym bag they go!

My legs do feel tired this morning after that run yesterday.  I'm glad I didn't start the plan 24 weeks out and am giving myself a few weeks of easing in to the workouts.

I do appreciate the advice you guys & gals have given me Cool

Sounds like things are going well. Good for you for ditching the shoes. Sadly, spending a lot of money on shoes that turn out to be lemons is just part of this running game...

perryw

So for anyone keeping track... I ran a 5K this morning in 25:11 Garmin time which is 8:07 avg pace for 5K (3.06 miles on the Garmin); there was no starting mat so that's what I'll go by.

I wasn't intending to go that fast!  I didn't notice the first mile on the watch (come to find out it was 8:23) but the second was 8:12 and I knew that was too fast for how I've been running, but I decided to try to hang on for the ride and the third went by in 8:06.  The last tenth (or .06 on the watch) was up six switchbacks on a mound in the middle of the park... 6 of em.  My legs were wobbly at the end, so I feel like I raced pretty well.

That compares to 26:54 that I did last November.  My PR was 23:53 in June 2010.

I modified the RW plan and my VO2max jumped up about 3 whole points and the paces in the preview look much better.  The half time predictor is 1:55 currently and 1:50 after the plan... both of those numbers are faster than my PR of 1:56 in May 2010.  So we'll see!  I'm excited now.  I think I'll finalize the plan after I get a RHR tomorrow morning and start getting scared Wink

JML

Great effort on the 5K. Sounds like you raced it well.  Congrats!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Nice race! Six switchbacks at the end of a 5k is just diabolical.

perryw

Yea, here's the mound.. I wish I had walked up closer to get a better view.  It's about as close as you get to a hill in central Indiana Big grin

mound

Happy

Six switchbacks on this mound? That IS diabolical!  Nice job on the 5K!

Yea, here's the mound.. I wish I had walked up closer to get a better view.  It's about as close as you get to a hill in central Indiana Big grin

mound

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi