Running-Wizard

Hills help? (Read 42 times)

I looked through the former threads and didn't see one about this, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask.

I've just finished the aerobic part of my training plan and am heading into the hills this week in my HM training plan.  I'm confused about the workout marked "hills".  Background is I've never done a "hills" section in a longer distance training plan, but not that long ago (2-3 years) I did do hill bounding regularly to train for 800m and 5ks.  This is my second HM but my first with Lyriard.

My workout plan says to do them for 39min, with a 15min warm-up and 15 min cool-down.  The instructions say on your first workout to only do one hill bound.  However, how do I run a 39min workout with only one hill?  Is the warm-up included in the 39 minutes?  Do I run more hills but only "bound' up one?

Now off for a PCR run in the hot sticky outdoors- ugh.

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

JML

I think that these questions came up in a thread earlier today.  Check it out and let me know if this does not cover your questions:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/RunningWizard/forum/bf2d3ecf916f46fdb1d89f65b52471ef/resume#focus

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Thanks for the reply.  That helps with the warm-up and cool-down confusion.  However, I'm still confused as how to make the workout 39min if you only have 1 hill bound?

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

JML

For the first time you do this workout, it will be shorter than 39 minutes.  This is a very physically stressful workout and the RW plan wants to make sure that you avoid injury.  When I do this workout the first time in a cycle, I 'fill-in' the time with some easy jogging.   Don't worry if it is short from a time perspective.  It is better to do a short workout than do all 39 minutes and end up injured.

Hi

I had the exact same questions the week before I started the Hills section. I accidentally found my answer when I clicked on the Hills link in my plan on running-wizard.com. Open the Training program, go to a Hills week and click on the Hills link in the "Workout" column (not the "Phase" column). There's a lot of information there. Here's how I interpreted it:

The training consists of one or more hill sets each of which has 4 components:

Spring up the hill (200 - 400 metres)

Jog at the top until recovered

Stride down fast but in control

Run 3 x 150 metre stride outs with full jog recovery between.

I followed the instructions and did one hill set in my first session, two in my second and three in my third. I kept it at three sets for the remainder of my hill sessions. Each Hill Set took me ~ 15 minutes so in the end I was doing a 45 minute hill workout plus a 15 minute warmup and a 15 minute cool down.

Of course I may have interpreted it wrong - but it did give me a good workout Smile

I hope that helps.

MTA: Too slow. See what happens when you start writing a post and get interrupted...

Geoff

Supersono99

Geoff, when you say jog at the top, is that in place? When I get to hills workouts, I will have to use a bridge, so I'm trying to figure out how you jog at the top. I'm several months away from this workout, but might as well ask while it is on topic.

The hill I used was longer than the hill springing distance (200 - 400 metres) so I ended up walking up the hill until my heart dropped back into the 120s before turning around and jogging a short way down hill before breaking into a run to the bottom of the hill.

You could jog on the spot - but I think I would jog a short way down the other side of the bridge, turn around and either jog back to the top or walk to the top before doing the down hill speedy bit. I think the aim is to let your legs, heart and lungs recover before the next 'hard" part of the workout.

Geoff

JML

You could jog on the spot - but I think I would jog a short way down the other side of the bridge, turn around and either jog back to the top or walk to the top before doing the down hill speedy bit. I think the aim is to let your legs, heart and lungs recover before the next 'hard" part of the workout.

+1 on this.  The point of the jog at the top of the hill is to give you a brief recovery interval before doing the next hill segment.

That being said, do you have any other options for a hill other than a bridge?  I would be concerned that the incline on the bridge is not steep enough to give you the resistance needed for the hill workout.

Boston Strong in 2014!

I would be concerned that the incline on the bridge is not steep enough to give you the resistance needed for the hill workout.

How steep should the incline be? I have a hill picked out that is 300 meters long with a 60 ft rise, roughly a 6% grade. Is that steep enough? It certainly feels steep going up.

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21

JML

How steep should the incline be? I have a hill picked out that is 300 meters long with a 60 ft rise, roughly a 6% grade. Is that steep enough? It certainly feels steep going up.

That should do the job.  I use a hill that is roughly 400 meters long and rises by around 50 feet.

Supersono99

How do you determine the grade of any incline? There is a very steep grass hill in my development. Might that work? The bridge I am thinking of is steep, too, but I would have to see if it even has a sidewalk, but I believe it does.

JML

I use the mapping tool here in RunningAhead.  If you map the route that you will run, it will tell you the length and the elevation change.

Click on 'training log' and then the 'new course' option to get to the tool.  There is a button in the mapping tool that will allow you to 'create route manually' if the hill your are considering is not on a road.  You will probably need to use this feature for your grassy hill.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I just did my first hill workout......not sure if I did bounding correctly. Should it feel like I am doing "high knees"?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JML

Yes.  It is a bounding motion, not a sprint.

This reminds me that I need to edit/post the video that I shot of Nobby doing hill bounding.  It should help to clarify this issue.  Sorry for slacking.

I will be doing my FINAL hill workout tomorrow morning, and can I just say....WHEW! i am glad, four weeks of hill training is plenty and I can say I am looking forward to intervals  Smile