Running-Wizard

25k, 16 degrees, 12 inches (Read 20 times)

Happy

I'm running a 25k trail race tomorrow as my scheduled Long Run. We got 12 inches of snow last night. Temperature at start time is forecast to be 16 degrees Fahrenheit.

Just thought I'd whine a bit. I grew up here, and I choose to live here, so it's my own damn fault.

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

Good luck.  Maybe enough people will run that trail today to pack it down by tomorrow. Or is this a snowshoe race? Wink

We were just starting to get signs of breakup when we had b2b snowstorms early last week, requiring snowshoe packing the singletrack. (a couple assassinated snowmen appeared on local FB pages)  The heavily used or groomed trails are in decent shape, esp. since we've been getting alternating just-above-freezing during the day, then refreezing at night for solid conditions - at least in the morning. But the lower elevation, less-used trails are really punchy. The sun is out - and that is a major plus.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      frank777

Phew!

Toughen up!!

And good luck  Smile

Happy

Hey guys, thanks for your support! Here are some photos from my house. Snowshoes might be a good idea ...

MTA: Well, I'm clueless about posting photos.

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

JML

I now feel like a spoiled jerk thanks to this post.  I ran a 1500 time trial earlier and it crossed my mind that it was a little warm at the end of the run.  It was 58. I should not complain.

Good luck tomorrow SubDood!  Spring will come (eventually).

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Happy

third try ...

Happy

Good luck tomorrow SubDood!  Spring will come (eventually).

Thanks!  We might skip Spring and go straight from Winter to Summer (mosquito season).

Happy

I probably should have skipped the 25K trail run today. (Yep, more whining, but maybe someone will learn from my mistakes.)

I planned to run at my scheduled Long Aerobic Run pace, not at any kind of race pace. There was probably only 6 inches of snow on the course (unlike the 12 inches in my neighborhood), and it was a "balmy" 18 degrees at start time, so not as bad as I predicted, right? The course was modified a bit to include stretches of an asphalt biking trail, which was nice. But most of the course was on trails covered in snow that had started to melt a bit yesterday, then froze hard overnight. There were lots of pock marks from other runners' footprints that made twisting an ankle a real possibility.  My running stride became very short and choppy, and I was very focused on where my feet were landing. This is a very tiring way to run, and when I got back to my car after the run, my right calf cramped up badly. I lay on the ground near my car writhing in pain while other people strolled past.

The weather improved quite a bit during the run -- it was 40 degrees and sunny when I finished, and some of the scenery was quite nice. But I am very sore now, and I expect tomorrow to be painful as well. Although my pace was slow, it was an exhausting workout, and I could have gotten injured. In hindsight, I should have run my normal long run on roads near my home and just skipped the trail race. I'll be much more selective between now and my goal race in June.

That's perhaps the worst kind of snow - pocked then frozen. I'll usually snowshoe run on our single track after a snow to pack it so when others run or hike without snowshoes, it doesn't get quite as bad. Other single tracks get enough traffic to pack them well. We're getting warm days with freezing overnight, so the heavily used trails are in pretty good condition - at least the ones that have been groomed or packed earlier to have a good base. It's likely to be mush or mud by a week from now, so making hay while the sun shines.

Good effort trying to run on that. It makes your feet and ankles stronger - seriously - if you don't twist something first. That's one of the challenges of races - it's what the course conditions are on the date and time of the race.

I wonder if this type thing shows up on the recovery indicator for needing to give your legs a break.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Oh yeah. That sounds painful. At least AKTrail was able to identify a potential upside, namely strengthening effect of uneven ground...the worst thing about this sort of run, I find, is when you can't identify anything about it that was even theoretically good! Anyway, hoping the snow melts soon and you can enjoy a bit of spring...

Happy

Good effort trying to run on that. It makes your feet and ankles stronger - seriously - if you don't twist something first. That's one of the challenges of races - it's what the course conditions are on the date and time of the race.

I wonder if this type thing shows up on the recovery indicator for needing to give your legs a break.

I hope you are correct and this helps strengthen my feet and ankles. Woke up tired and sore today, but nothing I would call pain. My Recovery Indicators were pretty normal this morning; my resting HR may have been just slightly higher than normal (52 bpm vs. 48 bpm), but the thermometer said "fully recovered."  I took it very easy on my fartlek run this morning, listened to my body more than any other indicator. Last week was a rough one: 5K race (with train delays), 2xInterval workouts (first week of Anaerobic Phase), a PCR run, and the 25K "ice" trail race. Temperatures might creep up enough to melt off some of the snow today, but it still looks like winter around here.

I hope you are correct and this helps strengthen my feet and ankles. Woke up tired and sore today, but nothing I would call pain. My Recovery Indicators were pretty normal this morning; my resting HR may have been just slightly higher than normal (52 bpm vs. 48 bpm), but the thermometer said "fully recovered."  I took it very easy on my fartlek run this morning, listened to my body more than any other indicator. Last week was a rough one: 5K race (with train delays), 2xInterval workouts (first week of Anaerobic Phase), a PCR run, and the 25K "ice" trail race. Temperatures might creep up enough to melt off some of the snow today, but it still looks like winter around here.

If you have easier stuff to help build strength earlier, the rougher trails will definitely help build strength. If you run mostly on even trails or roads/bike paths, then a sudden bout of really rough trail may not be good.

I suspect that's what I'll find also - the legs will be dead/fatigued or DOMS without much showing on the recovery indicator. At least for isolated runs.

Definitely take it easy on next couple runs, if needed.

Just so you don't feel alone about winter: this is from  Thursday's run - not in mountains. I think the bike paths might be snow free now (but not cleaned from winter's road sand accumulation) and gravel roads at low elevation are starting to breakup. We still have possible snow or rain forecast.

Happy

If you have easier stuff to help build strength earlier, the rougher trails will definitely help build strength. If you run mostly on even trails or roads/bike paths, then a sudden bout of really rough trail may not be good.

I suspect that's what I'll find also - the legs will be dead/fatigued or DOMS without much showing on the recovery indicator. At least for isolated runs.

Definitely take it easy on next couple runs, if needed.

Just so you don't feel alone about winter: this is from  Thursday's run - not in mountains. I think the bike paths might be snow free now (but not cleaned from winter's road sand accumulation) and gravel roads at low elevation are starting to breakup. We still have possible snow or rain forecast.

I love the mountains in your photo. That would be very nice to see along with the snow.

I'm still a bit sore from Saturday, but I was able to do my scheduled Interval workout this morning (4x 1 mile -- on the treadmill, of course), and it felt pretty good. Recovery Indicators were completely normal, so I went for it. Most of the snow from this last blast has now melted away ... but we are expected to get up to 8 inches of snow tonight!  [Last year, when I was just getting back into running, we had temperatures in the upper 70's in March, and very little snow all winter. This year is definitely "payback" for last year.]