Running-Wizard

RW Goal Races, Results, etc. (Read 85 times)

Ran the Hartford Half today in lieu of my PCR.  Ran at about 3/4 effort on tired legs and was pleased to turn in a 1:35 (7:16 average) with negative splits (last three miles under 7).  It feels kind of odd to take almost 3 minutes off my half PR that is less than a year old without running at race effort but I am not going to complain.  Happy running everyone.

Very nice work, JML. PR on tired legs. Congrats!

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I ran a half marathon today. I didn't train in the sense of following a plan; I am stuck in a permanent aerobic phase right now. Finished in 1:45:39 and won a weird book for being 2nd in my age group. I'm thinking that since my half pr of 1:40-something is from 2008, it is time to reset the pr-counting-machine (what, you don't have one in your basement?). Thus, this is now my pr. Pretty sure it's soft though Smile

Columbus marathon in a BQ time of 3:27:55 which is a 22 minutePR

more when I get back home tomorrow, but it was beautiful day and a solid run and i am very tired

Hungry

I ran a half marathon today. I didn't train in the sense of following a plan; I am stuck in a permanent aerobic phase right now. Finished in 1:45:39 and won a weird book for being 2nd in my age group. I'm thinking that since my half pr of 1:40-something is from 2008, it is time to reset the pr-counting-machine (what, you don't have one in your basement?). Thus, this is now my pr. Pretty sure it's soft though Smile

Great job on the half! I like the idea of a PR Reset Button. So, congrats on the PR! And on 2nd in age group! Would you like me to add the info to the race chart? I’d be happy to post the details. What was the “weird book” you won?

Hungry

Columbus marathon in a BQ time of 3:27:55 which is a 22 minutePR

more when I get back home tomorrow, but it was beautiful day and a solid run and i am very tired

Congrats Christirei!! Great performance. I'm eager to hear the details.

Congrats Christirei!! Great performance. I'm eager to hear the details.

AWESOME!!!! Congratulations on your achievement Smile Also looking forward to details!

Great job on the half! I like the idea of a PR Reset Button. So, congrats on the PR! And on 2nd in age group! Would you like me to add the info to the race chart? I’d be happy to post the details. What was the “weird book” you won?

Thanks SubDood Smile I don't consider the time very impressive in itself, but it's a good starting point for the next training plan and not a bad time for someone who just runs a moderate amount slowly. I think I ran well - slow first 5k, then pretty consistent pace the rest of the way (my Garmin freaked out toward the end but I'm pretty sure I was consistent. It felt that way.)  The book was some guy's memoir of all the marathons he's run, written in the style of the most boring, non-creative running forum race report you can imagine, multiplied by 500+ pages. It was like, "It was 1 p.m. The gun went off. I started running. At km 5 I was thirsty, so I drank a little. I was tired at the end. Don't slow down, I told myself!" Literally like that. 60 marathons. 500 pages. Seriously??? I bust my ass, and this is what I get? Next year I'll have to break into the top 3 overall to avoid this situation. Just have to drop 20 minutes from my time. NO PROBLEM.

Hungry

Hilarious! I would love to see that book. I mean, there is so much potential to be creative and funny when writing about running. Yes, your motivation for next year will be to avoid receiving another copy of that book!

It sounds like you enjoyed the race, and that's huge. One of my most memorable races was a half marathon I ran before doing any "serious" training. I was dying around mile 11 when a pacer (young guy, maybe 19) caught up to me and told me he was going to push me to the finish. (Apparently, all the runners in his pace group had fallen way off the pace, and I became his project.) At one point, he actually started yelling at me (and dropping F-bombs) to coax me to keep going. His prompting got me to cross the finish line in just under 1:40 (by 10 seconds or so). I gave the kid a big hug at the finish line. Later, I found out that the 1:40 time was the cut-off to qualify for "Corral 1" status at the Twin Cities Marathon.  That was the first time I seriously considered running a marathon again after a 16-year break. So, that race probably had a more profound impact on my running than any other, even though it wasn't one of my fastest. I love those kind of moments, and running seems to hold the potential for many more of those.

May your book become the equivalent of an F-bomb dropping teen-ager!

Thanks SubDood Smile I don't consider the time very impressive in itself, but it's a good starting point for the next training plan and not a bad time for someone who just runs a moderate amount slowly. I think I ran well - slow first 5k, then pretty consistent pace the rest of the way (my Garmin freaked out toward the end but I'm pretty sure I was consistent. It felt that way.)  The book was some guy's memoir of all the marathons he's run, written in the style of the most boring, non-creative running forum race report you can imagine, multiplied by 500+ pages. It was like, "It was 1 p.m. The gun went off. I started running. At km 5 I was thirsty, so I drank a little. I was tired at the end. Don't slow down, I told myself!" Literally like that. 60 marathons. 500 pages. Seriously??? I bust my ass, and this is what I get? Next year I'll have to break into the top 3 overall to avoid this situation. Just have to drop 20 minutes from my time. NO PROBLEM.

Sue in PA

Wow, impressive reading about the marathon and half-marathon racers!  Congrats!

I ran my first 10k this past weekend, the Runner's World Half Festival 10k.  I followed Running Wizard 10k plan and am extremely pleased with the results, considering (because of a crazy work schedule) I didn't follow it to the letter for the last 6 weeks.  When I first started RW, I was very concerned about the fact that my plan never had me running 6 miles--my longest run range was 3.5-5 miles.  But even with me falling off a bit toward the end of the training, I still achieved my goal of finishing in under 1:20.  My finish time was 1:19:23.  And the even more amazing thing is that I felt really, really good right through to the finish.  Took a few 30 - 60 second walk breaks when my HR got too high, and even with that, I finished right where I hoped to finish.

So now that I have a 10k PR, I'm already strategizing on how I can improve my time next year.  I'm starting a 5k RW program the end of November, training for the Yuengling Light Lager Jogger in April--the first 2 miles is uphill Shocked.  I did a walk/run in the Lager Jogger this past April (with very little training over the winter) so my finish time was pretty slow.  I'll be ready for the next one!  And once the 5k RW plan is finished, I'll roll right into a 10k RW program to prepare for the 2014 Runner's World Half Festival 10k.

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of the Running Wizard!

Sue

Congratulations to all on a bunch of great fall race results.

I just signed up for a 24 week plan, culminating in the April 6th 2014 Half Marathon at Go! St. Louis.  My current PR is 1:52, and at this point I am shooting for 1:48.

Hungry

Congratulations Sue in PA! Glad to hear the race went well and that you felt great through to the finish.

Good luck dotstar!

Sue in PA

Thanks, SubDood!

I am registered for a flat 5k on November 16, on a canal path.  I'm running it just for fun, but after training for a 10k, a 5k distance seems easy! :-)

Philliefan33

The Delaware Canal?  I'm running the half marathon that day.   I think the 5K starts after the HM?

Thanks, SubDood!

I am registered for a flat 5k on November 16, on a canal path.  I'm running it just for fun, but after training for a 10k, a 5k distance seems easy! :-)

Future Races:

5/4/14:  Bucks County Ten Miler

perryw

perryw Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon Nov 2 2013 Half Marathon  1:52:28  1:56:27 1:52:04  Beat RW goal by 24 seconds, and a 4 minute PR.  10k split was also a PR for that distance.

My 10k pace was 8:37, and my overall pace was 8:34, so I guess that means I ran a negative split?  The first two miles were slow because I started too far back and had to dodge a lot of people.  Anyways, despite not feeling confident about being able to pull off the time RW chose for me, I was able to slightly beat it.  So I'm happy the plan worked for me!

Philliefan33

Congrats, perry!

Future Races:

5/4/14:  Bucks County Ten Miler