Running-Wizard

Considering Running Wizard (Read 65 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Hello!! I am 6 months out from my first half marathon, it is on October 12th. I'm already thinking about plans, trying to find books to read, ect to prepare for it even though it's still early. I've heard great things about Running Wizard and was told there's a group on here for it (I'm a frequent poster on the Beginners and Beyond group here aka the former RWOL Beginners Forum group) so I figured this was the best place to get advice on it.

Background: Been running regularly since August. I've completed 7 races: 4 5Ks, 2 4 Milers and one 10K. I have another 5K and 10K coming up in the next month. I have a 10 mile race in June. However, I had a little hiccup in training and ended up having to take time off with ITBS then build back slowly, and as a result it is going to be difficult for me to get my long runs up to 10 miles in time....so I'm probably going to end up running easy/walking the race instead of racing it. Currently I'm at about 12 miles per week and run 4 times per week. I'm working on base building again after I had to take a few weeks off because of ITBS and am being very conservative. I hope to get to 20mpw by June. I currently don't do any formal speed work, just sometimes add some strides or fast finishes to my runs, or do occasional progression runs. My race times have been steadily getting better since my first race 6 months ago....I have PRed each of my 4 5Ks in the last 6 months, going from 37:07 on my first to 28:31 on my most recent.

Based on my history is Running Wizard something that would work well for me? Or does someone have a recommendation for a book or plan that may be better suited for me?

Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JML

Hi Kristin,

Welcome to Running Ahead and the Running Wizard program.  Congrats on an auspicious start with your running.  It sounds like you have made very solid progress since you started running regularly.  I think that you would do well with RunningWizard, as it will help you to build the base you need to race well and (more importantly) avoid injury.    I think that you should consider the ITBS as a warning sign that you need to proceed with caution and consider some changes to your training approach.  In my opinion, you may be racing too often and are pushing your training a bit too quickly.   Your instinct to build base and proceed conservatively as a result of the ITBS is correct.  You should establish a strong foundation of good conditioning for both your aerobic system and muscles/tendons which is best accomplished by building base miles.

Fortunately, you are in the right place.  Running Wizard plans all start with a decently long period where you focus on base miles with a little faster running mixed in.  After the base is built, you then go through 4 additional training phases that progressively build other attributes of running fitness until you are in peak form for race day.  It is typically a longer training cycle than traditional plans but it is worth it.    If you can resist the siren call to race during the buildup to your goal race and keep within the pace guidelines in the plan, you will be rewarded with a very solid race in your first half in October.  I am now in my second Running Wizard training cycle after using many different approaches over the years.  I can say without reservation that this is the best approach that I have found and I know how I will always train going forward.

I think that you will be well served if you choose RunningWizard.

Good luck!

Jon

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thanks Jon!!!

It may be worth mentioning that I don't run every race "all out." There are many races I do because I want to be a part of the event. I do them for the cause they fundraise for, because it is in a location I want to run in (or a park I would be running that day in anyway, so why not), and because I enjoy the race atmosphere.The 5K I ran 28:31 in this past weekend, however, was definitely "race effort" however because I was dying to get a gauge on my current fitness and potential, because I have noticed recently that my "easy pace" keeps dropping, and I realized I no longer had a concept of what I can expect from myself.  Aside from my 10K in May (in which I am also dying to see what I can do with that, as my December 10K time of an average of 10:54 minute miles was the best I could possibly do at the time, but is now around my easy pace!) I don't think I will run any races "all out" until my half, even if I do participate in some races.

How many weeks is the Running Wizard plans generally? Or does it vary a lot?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Nevermind that last question....just relooked at the website and it says 12-24 weeks

Obligatory runner.

Hi Kristin! Welcome! Looks like you're doing really well with your running. I think Running Wizard can definitely help you build your base and avoid further ITB issues. You'll progress sensibly and won't overdo it...and if you do overdo it, the recovery indicators will tell you to chill out and take a day off.

The more I think about it, the more I think a 6-month RW plan could be really really good for you at this stage (yes, I say this knowing nothing about you...except that you're really into running and just started a few months ago...) First of all, if you follow the plan and read all the instructions, you will learn to do it right. You'll learn what kind of running to do when; every run in the plan has a purpose. You'll build your base at the right speed for you. Each daily workout offers a range of paces and distances so you can experiment with that without worrying about whether it's too much, or too slow, or whatever.

I have to agree with JML though, that you may want to (or have to) cut back on the amount of racing you do. You can probably substitute races for some of the faster "out and back" or "progress calibration" runs but you may even find that you don't want to race because you're tired and prefer to jog Smile Because this plan? It is awesome, and it will take you far, but it gets challenging when you start upping the intensity and doing intervals and 100m repeats and PCRs-followed-by-long-runs. I think the 10 miler in June, though, could serve as a really good measure of your progress. I'd keep that one if I were you, and not do quite so many 5k's.

I'm currently training for a half marathon using a 16-week plan. That seemed like a LOT of time when I started back in January, but honestly, in retrospect (my race is in 3 weeks) it feels a little like cramming. I felt like I was JUST getting my aerobic base where I wanted it when I had to switch gears and start doing a lot of fast running...I think that a few more weeks of aerobic stuff would have been optimal. So I would definitely suggest you start ASAP for your October race. Give yourself the maximum amount of time to build your base!

You mentioned looking for books to read. You could read up on the Lydiard method - I have "Running With Lydiard" which describes his method pretty well. I know there is another, more recent book called "Healthy Intelligent Training" which apparently also covers Lydiard's methods, but I haven't read it, just know it's out there. The book "Road Racing for Serious Runners" by Pete Pfitzinger is also very good, though not Lydiard-specific (similar ideas to Lydiard though, just carried out differently).

Hello!! I am 6 months out from my first half marathon, it is on October 12th. I'm already thinking about plans, trying to find books to read, ect to prepare for it even though it's still early. I've heard great things about Running Wizard and was told there's a group on here for it (I'm a frequent poster on the Beginners and Beyond group here aka the former RWOL Beginners Forum group) so I figured this was the best place to get advice on it.

Background: Been running regularly since August. I've completed 7 races: 4 5Ks, 2 4 Milers and one 10K. I have another 5K and 10K coming up in the next month. I have a 10 mile race in June. However, I had a little hiccup in training and ended up having to take time off with ITBS then build back slowly, and as a result it is going to be difficult for me to get my long runs up to 10 miles in time....so I'm probably going to end up running easy/walking the race instead of racing it. Currently I'm at about 12 miles per week and run 4 times per week. I'm working on base building again after I had to take a few weeks off because of ITBS and am being very conservative. I hope to get to 20mpw by June. I currently don't do any formal speed work, just sometimes add some strides or fast finishes to my runs, or do occasional progression runs. My race times have been steadily getting better since my first race 6 months ago....I have PRed each of my 4 5Ks in the last 6 months, going from 37:07 on my first to 28:31 on my most recent.

Based on my history is Running Wizard something that would work well for me? Or does someone have a recommendation for a book or plan that may be better suited for me?

Thanks!

Agree with everything that's been said, Running Wizard is amazing and the sooner you start your plan the better off you will be! i am finishing a 5K tomorrow (goal race!) and will take two weeks "off" and then start my marathon plan first week of May...for an October marathon. Especially since your weekly mileage is pretty low right now, i think the sooner you start the base building phase the better off you will be. And lurk around this forum a bit, you will find a thread that discusses why the longest "long run" is several weeks/months out from the actual race day, keep in mind that running wizard plans build on your foundations that you work up to, so it won't look like a traditional half marathon plan.

Good luck and hope to see you around here more often!

JML

I would highly recommend going for the longer 24 week plan (or as long as you can manage after your 10K).  At this stage of your running development, you will really reap the benefits of a longer base phase, and the trend of your easy pace dropping will continue.  It will also allow your legs (particularly the ITB) to become acclimated to the physical stresses of running.  I also suffered from ITB issues when I restarted running about 5 years ago.  Figure out how to treat it now (the foam roller is your friend) or it can turn into a bear of an injury.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach to races.  I also do races where it is not a full effort for various reasons (being a pacer for someone, just like the race etc).

Good luck with your 10K.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thanks everyone for the input!!! I appreciate it. Re: ITBS I had physical therapy for it and now have a stretching, strength,rolling routine that seems to be helping a lot. I have no races on the schedule that I plan on "racing" between the May 10K and the October half (I have the 10 Mile race in June that I likely won't be ready to even THINK of running it hard, and a 5K in June that I am running with my dad, it will be his first race ever and we are doing it for fun....it finishes in the NY Giants endzone and we are HUGE Giants fans) so after my 10K may be  a good time to start. Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's good; get it! ;o)

Just kidding...  Well, not kidding about that it's good (;o)) but I'll give you my honest opinion.  Running Wizard is, and I can say this with good confidence, most sensible and "individualized" training plan out there.  However, that said, it ain't a miracle program!! ;o)  IF the cause of your ITBS was doing too much, too soon, too fast/hard; then RW might be a good one to follow, providing you pick the longer end of the available plan.  But if the cause is elsewhere, even RW may not eliminate that problem--may ease it; but may not erase it.  So you'd have to be sensible about that.

Second, if you are hurt (ITBS) and if you're right now mixing things up right now without much focus, don't.  What I mean is; why doing fast finish or "occasional" progression runs?  How occasional are they and why that frequent--any purpose to that or are you just throwing them here and there? Don't.  It's not going to help you with ITBS.  Unless there's a certain flow or "progression" in mind, don't just throw them in "just because"...  That's how you screw up your legs and/or over-all training plan.  Have a clear plan and FLOW in mind and that's what RW would provide for you.

That said, however, depending on your current level, it may NOT give you a full-cycle Lydiard training which provides this "flow".  If your longest run is less than an hour, which I don't think it is for you but, considering your injury, you may want to be a bit conservative and that MAY push you back in that level, it will give you a gradual progression of volume followed by a few weeks of what we call mixture of training with some degree of faster running like intervals (with 4-days-a-week, once a week) for a couple of weeks.  This does not include hill training which provides preparatory strengthening work for intervals/tempo type of workouts.  In other words, it may not be as complete as you might like it to be.  But it should be "good enough". ;o) It still gives you a structure and "flow".  Also, someone asked me yesterday whether he could purchase a plan and use it over and over again! ;o) (fat chance, Chuck!!)  The truth is; we set this up in such way that each day's workout effort (pace) is determined by the current fitness level with steady progression in mind.  In other words, we don't just give a formula like "add 5 seconds per mile to your current 5k pace..."  If done correctly, you should be better this week than last week; and should be better next week than this week.  So each day's workout is different from other day's; and each cycle should have different effort level.  Also, we have Recovery Indicators to monitor your recovery rate--this, in fact, is what makes RW truly unique.  It's not just workout but life sometimes affects your physical state and it needs to be considered.  This would do it for you.  Some people have asked us why we don't have the "down-week".  We say, with the sound training plan, you WOULDN'T need a down-week.  Only the incorrect plan needs the down-week because it's pushing you above your ability.  If you keep to the effort level to the suggested range; and if you incorporate RI diligently, you would not need the down-week.

And it ain't that expensive!! ;o)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Yeah, it's good; get it! ;o)

Just kidding...  Well, not kidding about that it's good (;o)) but I'll give you my honest opinion.  Running Wizard is, and I can say this with good confidence, most sensible and "individualized" training plan out there.  However, that said, it ain't a miracle program!! ;o)  IF the cause of your ITBS was doing too much, too soon, too fast/hard; then RW might be a good one to follow, providing you pick the longer end of the available plan.  But if the cause is elsewhere, even RW may not eliminate that problem--may ease it; but may not erase it.  So you'd have to be sensible about that.

Second, if you are hurt (ITBS) and if you're right now mixing things up right now without much focus, don't.  What I mean is; why doing fast finish or "occasional" progression runs?  How occasional are they and why that frequent--any purpose to that or are you just throwing them here and there? Don't.  It's not going to help you with ITBS.  Unless there's a certain flow or "progression" in mind, don't just throw them in "just because"...  That's how you screw up your legs and/or over-all training plan.  Have a clear plan and FLOW in mind and that's what RW would provide for you.

That said, however, depending on your current level, it may NOT give you a full-cycle Lydiard training which provides this "flow".  If your longest run is less than an hour, which I don't think it is for you but, considering your injury, you may want to be a bit conservative and that MAY push you back in that level, it will give you a gradual progression of volume followed by a few weeks of what we call mixture of training with some degree of faster running like intervals (with 4-days-a-week, once a week) for a couple of weeks.  This does not include hill training which provides preparatory strengthening work for intervals/tempo type of workouts.  In other words, it may not be as complete as you might like it to be.  But it should be "good enough". ;o) It still gives you a structure and "flow".  Also, someone asked me yesterday whether he could purchase a plan and use it over and over again! ;o) (fat chance, Chuck!!)  The truth is; we set this up in such way that each day's workout effort (pace) is determined by the current fitness level with steady progression in mind.  In other words, we don't just give a formula like "add 5 seconds per mile to your current 5k pace..."  If done correctly, you should be better this week than last week; and should be better next week than this week.  So each day's workout is different from other day's; and each cycle should have different effort level.  Also, we have Recovery Indicators to monitor your recovery rate--this, in fact, is what makes RW truly unique.  It's not just workout but life sometimes affects your physical state and it needs to be considered.  This would do it for you.  Some people have asked us why we don't have the "down-week".  We say, with the sound training plan, you WOULDN'T need a down-week.  Only the incorrect plan needs the down-week because it's pushing you above your ability.  If you keep to the effort level to the suggested range; and if you incorporate RI diligently, you would not need the down-week.

And it ain't that expensive!! ;o)

Thanks Nobby....that is really good information!