Running-Wizard

Missed my run this morning... (Read 90 times)

Because this happened!

I know this is everyday life for some of you but this amount of snow is very unusual in Tokyo city, needless to say I was not brave enough to get out there amongst it!  After a frustrating drive home from work (early), I ended up having to park the car on the side of the road and walk home Sad

So now...tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day but I guess I should run today's run tomorrow?  Let's hope the snow melts overnight!

Being a slow runner means I get to check out YOUR butt...

This is how I do it... http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/SarahinShibs/

JML

Looks like a treadmill day.....

I once had a similar snowstorm occur on the morning of my last scheduled 20 mile long run for a marathon training cycle.  I ended up doing it on the treadmill.  It did not make my top 5 list of most enjoyable runs ever.....

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

My daughters have the flu and my hubby just left this morning for Houston, I have a ten mile run scheduled for tomorrow...I just finished my fartlek on the treadmill and the only thing I can think about is how much tomorrow is going to suck! But I just can't imagine twenty on a treadmill...I think I just wouldn't have done it!!! Oh my goodness, sounds horrible! Even with the ten miler tomorrow I'm considering doing five in the morning and five in the evening to break it up....I just can't stand the treadmill

JML

The key to running long is to bring a second towel.....to cover up the display.  For some reason, I find watching the numbers tick by to be incredibly annoying,  By covering the display, I trick myself into forgetting how much soul sucking time remains.  That being said, I will pretty much do anything to avoid running on the treadmill.

Hahaha, me too! But covering up the display is a really good idea

So last week two of my three kids came down with the flu and we were stuck inside all week long. No big deal since I have a treadmill in my basement and made it work. BUT yesterday when I went out for my easy fartlek run I noticed that I was struggling to breathe and the rest of the day I felt terrible. By bedtime I could tell I was coming down with something. I slept in this morning and planned to do my run on my treadmill again since I figured a few hours of extra sleep would help me out. I was able to do about two miles but then gave up, my throat is so swollen and I was coughing the whole time. It wasn't pretty. So, tomorrow is my rest day....but I am tempted to just take it easy today and see if I can do my planned run from today, tomorrow. Or, maybe I should just give this one up and rest completely for the rest of today and tomorrow and pick it up Thursday with my strides?? I don't want to prolong the cold, but I also don't feel terrible...it's just the whole breathing thing and my throat being so swollen. Thoughts??

JML

One missed workout is not a big deal.  Better to take today and tomorrow off and run the next run on the schedule when you have recovered.

One missed workout is not a big deal.  Better to take today and tomorrow off and run the next run on the schedule when you have recovered.

+1 to this! Take care of yourself!!

yeah, feeling worse as the day has gone on, think i will just forget the miles from today and rest until Thurs. Thanks!

JML

Funny story…. A few year ago, I was trying to kill my PR and break 22 minutes for a 5k.  I came down with a cold the week before the race and tried to run it anyway (very smart).  Came through the mile 1 split running on sub 22 pace, quickly turned into a coughing, wheezing mess…..and finished in 23:22.  Should have skipped it that day.  You just can’t race/run through a cold.

Hungry

Christirei,

It might be worth having it checked out -- if 2 of your kids had the flu, it's possible that what you are coming down with is the flu.

I missed 2 weeks of running (from December 28 to January 11) with what I thought was a just a bad cold. I was very weak, missed a few days of work, and had extreme shivering/chills one night. As I've talked to a number of people, one of the flu strains this year is mainly an upper respiratory thing -- lots of tightness in the chest, and lots of "gunk," but nothing in terms of vomiting or diarrhea. This is pretty much what I experienced, so I think now, in hindsight, I may have actually had some version of the flu.

I missed the first week of my RW marathon plan, but I eased back into the schedule (without trying to "make up" for missed days), and am now back to following the program as written -- the full scheduled times (mileage), pace ranges (HR ranges), etc.  I feel great now, a huge improvement over how I felt a couple weeks ago. Maybe if I had gone to the doctor and gotten properly diagnosed and received something (Tamiflu perhaps?), maybe I could have shortened the duration of whatever it was I had.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hill Slug

Good advice, take it easy.

Feel better soon!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

I missed Tuesday's run because my son was sick and had a fever and it felt wrong to take him out in the baby jogger in the snow. Yesterday he was better, so we bundled up, I put a hot water bottle in his stroller foot sack, and we jogged around for 25 minutes in 19 degree weather. That was definitely not according to the RW plan, which called for a fartlek yesterday (although I would rather have just made up the aerobic run from Tuesday) but you know what? Running is better than not running. That's my new motto.

And I'm starting to think that when you have kids, you're lucky to be able to run at all.

Christirei? Are you ok?

You guys were right, I have the flu. Slept for most of the past two days, still feel awful. Thinking this week is a wash. Hope to run again next week, but not sure how to do that, slowly I imagine Smile
                                You guys were right, I have the flu. Slept for most of the past two days, still feel awful. Thinking this week is a wash. Hope to run again next week, but not sure how to do that, slowly I imagine Smile

Sad This sucks. Feel better soon! And worry about next week when it comes. There may be some walking in your future, and that's ok!