Running-Wizard

TAPER MADNESS WHEEEEEEE (Read 33 times)

thanks christirei! Had requisite terrible night of sleep, now ready to do the best I can at 10 a.m. Smile feeling a little coldy still, but it is what it is...

Thinking of you Harriet!! I hope you have a great run tomorrow!!

Well, I'm back. And it was not good. I had to drop out after 6km with the worst side stitch/stomach cramp I've ever had. Even jogging was impossible. It started while I was warming up, stayed present but bearable until the 5km water stop and then, after I drank some water, it just blew up and became so painful that I couldn't run through it.

I am so, so disappointed and angry right now. I'm in great shape. I know I can do sub-1:40.

And you know what? I even know why this happened! At first I was like wtf is this...but then I realized (during my long walk back to the u-bahn) that while I'd eaten my usual breakfast of millet cereal with maple syrup, I bought a different brand of millet yesterday. Sure enough, back at home, I confirmed: it's not quick-cooking millet that takes 10 minutes to be ready. I should have cooked it for 25. I even noticed the difference in texture while I was eating but never thought it was a problem. It wasn't like rock-hard or anything. that has to be the culprit. I never get cramps like that.

Anyway. Onward and upward, I guess? The good thing is that I can start running properly again starting tomorrow. No more of this 2 miles a day taper crap Tongue

The other good news is I went through 5k in 23:30, right on track for 1:38-39 SO BASICALLY I totally PR'd. In my head.

oh no! that's so awful  Sad  I am so sorry Harriet! Maybe you can do what I did and find a cheap half coming up in the next few weeks and give it another try. I hope you feel better soon

thanks Christi! I'm super bummed, but hoping to maybe cobble some plan together for a decent 10, 15, or 21.1,k race on June 2. Until then, there is not much going on around here (&I'm vacationing from may 12-22 in any case.)

oh no! that's so awful  Sad  I am so sorry Harriet! Maybe you can do what I did and find a cheap half coming up in the next few weeks and give it another try. I hope you feel better soon

JML

Sorry runharrietrun.  It sounds like you just had one of those 'off' days that sometimes happen.  You made the smart decision in stopping.   I wish I had done the same in my last marathon when I stupidly pushed to the finish resulting in a bad racing experience and considerable muscular damage.   I like the idea of cashing-in on the fitness that you built during this training cycle in another race.  You should be able to use Nobby's on/off schedule particularly since you stopped the race effort at 6k.  Sorry that you had a bad day and I hope you have a better race soon.

Jon

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

I am super bummed for you, Harriet! There are so many variables that can throw a person off on a given day -- it's either funky millet one day, or being stopped by a train the next. You've got all the training behind you; it'd be great to be able to give it another shot soon. Best wishes, and if nothing else, thoroughly enjoy your vacation. (I can enter, "Totally PR'd in my head" in the status chart, if you'd like.)

Thanks for the sympathy, JML and SubDood. I'm slowly getting over my self-pity and seeing that crap like this just happens. And it happens to everyone - I have several pro and semi-pro runners' blogs in my reader and they've all had a story like this.

I am super bummed for you, Harriet! There are so many variables that can throw a person off on a given day -- it's either funky millet one day, or being stopped by a train the next. You've got all the training behind you; it'd be great to be able to give it another shot soon. Best wishes, and if nothing else, thoroughly enjoy your vacation. (I can enter, "Totally PR'd in my head" in the status chart, if you'd like.)

Yes, perhaps you can enter "Head PR" in the results column and then "Funky millet" under Notes.

The difference between a train and funky millet is that the millet was totally under my control. Sad but true: I had a moment in the grocery stores, as I reached out to buy this subpar, Chinese-processed millet (imported from China and sold as organic...yeah, real environmentally friendly right there!) where I thought to myself "hm, never try anything new on race day..." But they didn't have the brand I usually buy and I was in a hurry and whatever, millet is millet, right? Angry

As I said, the good thing is that I get to go for a real run now...

Sorry to hear of that outcome. I guess the bright side is you did the full training and have the fitness so the next cycle will build upon that.  Hopefully you can get into a race soon to realize those gains.

Sorry to hear of that outcome. I guess the bright side is you did the full training and have the fitness so the next cycle will build upon that.  Hopefully you can get into a race soon to realize those gains.

Yes, exactly. It was definitely not a waste of time!

Hungry

... crap like this just happens. And it happens to everyone - I have several pro and semi-pro runners' blogs in my reader and they've all had a story like this.

Yes, perhaps you can enter "Head PR" in the results column and then "Funky millet" under Notes.  DONE.

As I said, the good thing is that I get to go for a real run now...

Harriet,

I'm curious about the words "real run" in your post.  Are you talking about your next race effort, or just going for a run that's not part of a written plan? Or both?

Part of me really loves sticking to the plan, almost to the point of obsessing about it. Another part of me looks forward to the post-race period where I relax a bit and do whatever the heck I want. A friend of mine wants to run a 25K trail run with me 2 weeks after my marathon, and that sounds like a total blast! I might also just check the schedule of local races and sign up for stuff at the last minute. No "real" training plan, but maybe some "real runs"?  Also, my beer consumption has dwindled to just about nothing, so I'm looking forward to changing that after my race!

I just meant a substantial run of over 2 miles that doesn't involve any weird sprinting or require a warmup, e.g. 15km easy in the park at no particular pace. Trail run tomorrow! Woohoo!

I'm the same way with the plan. I like following/obsessing over it, but I also really enjoy having some down time to just run whenever I feel like it and do whatever races seem like fun. Beer & 25k seems like a fantastic combination!