Running-Wizard

Intervals without a track? (Read 32 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Sorry I know I ask a lot of questions....

The parts of my plan that require intervals are looming....and I don't think I have a track to use. Tips? I do have a Garmin FR10.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JML

I rarely run my intervals on the track as I prefer doing them on the road.  I use the Hudson greenway which is a nice uninterpreted stretch of level pavement that works well.  You should be fine doing them on the road but you will probably need to run them by time instead of distance given your FR10.  If I recall correctly, the FR10 does not allow you to design custom interval workouts so you can use the 'Intervals by duration' section of the pace chart from the RW plan.

My other advice would be to not get too bogged down worrying about your specific pace.  The point of these workouts is to run some intervals at what feels like a hard effort.  The actual pace that you run is affected by many factors (fatigue, temperature etc) so you should just focus on running the hard segments at a pace that feels comfortably hard with good running form.  Intervals are actually a great way to get in touch with your perception of effort which is a useful skill to have.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

One thing I've used is the Course/Map feature in RunningAhead to map out approximate distances. There is a park by my house, and using the map feature, I measured a rectangular loop that has 4 legs, each of which is a bit longer than 100 meters. I used this "track" for many of my interval workouts, as well as the 12x100/100's, and even the 50/50's. Like JML said, don't get too bogged down in the exact numbers (pace or distance).

I've also used the treadmill for a few of these types of workouts -- that can be helpful if you really feel you need to stay at or close to the prescribed pace. (I used the treadmill for my Up Tempo workout when I got close to my race. I was very afraid that I would overdo the workout just days before my goal race, and programming the treadmill to the prescribed speed/pace helped make sure I didn't make that mistake.)

I'm still working on developing that "perception of effort" skill that JML refers to.

Boston Strong in 2014!

I don't use a track either. Using the "create route" function in RA to measure, I found relatively flat distances in my neighborhood (2 blocks, 4 blocks, a circle, an 8 block loop) that roughly correspond to the various interval distances and I use these for interval work. I don't think the distances need to be precisely 400 m, 800m and so on. I recently got a new Garmin, so I can program in the distances, but I am too lazy and still use my neighborhood favorites.

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21

ditto, I have a middle school track that is exactly 1.5 miles from my house. it is great to run my warmup there, do my interval workout, and jog back home. BUT school started this week, and they are strict about non-school personnel being on that track during the school year! blah. So, I start my interval phase next week but I will probably use a stretch of road close to my house that is about 600 m long...it starts getting hilly by 800m though. i just make it work for what i need it for. you have to work with what you got, so don't stress about not having a track to workout on!

JML

I'm still working on developing that "perception of effort" skill that JML refers to.

A helpful trick that I learned from my high school coach involves running the first mile of any run 'blind'.  He would frequently send us out on a one mile loop to start our longer runs and would not allow us to wear our watches.  His instruction was to 'find your easy pace for today'.  As we came past the one mile mark where he was waiting, he would tell each of us our split and hand us our watches.  I learned that 'easy' is quite variable from day to day depending on weather, fatigue etc.

I now apply what he taught me by setting my garmin to auto-split every mile and ignoring it until it chirps at the one mile mark.  Until then, I just focus on listening to the signals from my legs/lungs etc to make sure I am running easy.  After the first mile, I look at the time and learn what today's easy pace is.  I find that this forces me to listen to my body without the mental game of trying to run at the pace that I 'should' be doing according to the plan.

In the last few weeks, 'easy' has varied between 8:28 and 9:15 but tI am running at the correct effort level for the purpose of the run.  Give it a try and it might help to develop your perception of effort.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

... setting my garmin to auto-split every mile and ignoring it until it chirps at the one mile mark.  Until then, I just focus on listening to the signals from my legs/lungs etc to make sure I am running easy.  After the first mile, I look at the time and learn what today's easy pace is.  I find that this forces me to listen to my body without the mental game of trying to run at the pace that I 'should' be doing according to the plan.

Thanks, JML. I will definitely give this a try. Yeah, I have a problem with knowing/thinking what I "should" be doing and trying to force a certain pace. I will actually give this a try in a half marathon tomorrow -- not look at my Garmin until I hear the 1 mile chirp. I'll start at what feels like a decent marathon pace, then make some adjustments. I might actually do the negative split thing for once.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to