Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

SubDood:

Good luck tomorrow!!  Was gonna write before your Up-Tempo but been real busy.  Hope it went well.  I'll come back here sometime this week to answer some--I apologize that my life has been in a way too much lately.

If you see Scott Keenan, say hi for me and give my very best for his retirement.  Maybe after your Grandma, we can get together for coffee--I do live not too far from Lake Lydiard.

Good luck.

Thanks, northernman! How's the foot?

Happy

SubDood:

Good luck tomorrow!!  Was gonna write before your Up-Tempo but been real busy.  Hope it went well.  I'll come back here sometime this week to answer some--I apologize that my life has been in a way too much lately.

If you see Scott Keenan, say hi for me and give my very best for his retirement.  Maybe after your Grandma, we can get together for coffee--I do live not too far from Lake Lydiard.

Good luck.

Nobby!

Thanks for the well wishes! I will look for Scott Keenan, but I imagine he’ll be a pretty popular guy around these parts tomorrow. (Wow! Retiring after 37 years as Grandma’s race director!)

I will post a race report when I can. I feel good and ready to race. Thanks!

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

perryw

I ran the third race of the Hoosier Park 8K Triple Crown Series today, which was at the Hoosier Park horse track in Anderson, IN.  I went in hoping to average 8:45/mile.

The pre-race festivities were near the finish line and included a trumpeter playing "To Post" which was pretty cool.  The race started on the back stretch of the horse track, just off turn 2, so we walked as a group (field of 266) around to the start line.  We started off behind the "gate truck" which is used to start the harness races that they do at the track.  That was very unique!

The 7/8 mile track was a fine gravel that was pretty well packed and not at all hard to run on.  Thankfully, they cleaned up all the "horse mess" before the race!   We ran about 1/2 way around the track before venturing in to the parking lot, then running the roads around the facility.  At one point, an SUV went down the left lane because runners were taking up the right lane.  About when he was getting up to oncoming traffic a police car had caught up to him, then the officer got out and seemed to tell the guy to pull over on to a side street for a talking to.  The weather seemed to be either sunny and humid or sunny with a strong headwind, depending on which way we were running - temp was in the upper 70's and it felt muggy.  There were two water stops and I drank half my cup and dumped the other half on my head!

The race finished with nearly a full lap around the track... really a unique experience!  I finished in 43:09 for a 8:41 pace.  This was just my third 8K race but was a 1:51PR from 4/2012, and 4:42 better than the 8K I ran April 21 after a winter of not running much.  So I was pleased with my results.

Mile 1 - 8:34

Mile 2 - 8:26

Mile 3 - 8:41

Mile 4 - 8:38

Mile 5 - 8:38

Garmin measured 5.02

My long run was supposed to be today; it was supposed to be 7 miles (5.5 - 8 range) but I didn't go back out for the extra 2 miles.  This wraps up 2 weeks of my training plan.  Enjoying it so far.

Blog with pictures

JML

Great result perryw.  Good looking splits as well.   Congrats!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

northernman

Fight The Future

OK, I think I'm mostly back, in terms of recovery from PF. I've completely switched now to low heel-toe drop shoes, alternating between Altras and PureFlow2 shoes, and concentrating on forefoot landing. That seems to have helped with the PF. I've also been doing some running in sand, to strengthen the foot muscles. I still have just a little bit of calf pain, but it's really not much at all, and the left foot hardly hurts, either.. I see that the schedule starts this week in the hill phase, and the instructions say this is a potentially stressful period that could lead to injury. Perfect timing, I think, for me to injure something else. I believe I'll take it easy the first week, and maybe just go up and down some hills without doing any serious "bounding", since that sounds very energetic for an old guy like me. Here's hoping everything stays together.

Happy

OK, I think I'm mostly back, in terms of recovery from PF. I've completely switched now to low heel-toe drop shoes, alternating between Altras and PureFlow2 shoes, and concentrating on forefoot landing. That seems to have helped with the PF. I've also been doing some running in sand, to strengthen the foot muscles. I still have just a little bit of calf pain, but it's really not much at all, and the left foot hardly hurts, either.. I see that the schedule starts this week in the hill phase, and the instructions say this is a potentially stressful period that could lead to injury. Perfect timing, I think, for me to injure something else. I believe I'll take it easy the first week, and maybe just go up and down some hills without doing any serious "bounding", since that sounds very energetic for an old guy like me. Here's hoping everything stays together.

Great to hear your PF issues have improved. I got rid of all my shoes with more than 4mm of heel-toe drop; I made a very gradual transition in my running form before I started any training programs, and I believe it has helped a lot in injury prevention. Regarding Hills, I don't know what others think about this, but I did most of my Hills workouts on a treadmill (gasp!). I don't have a lot of hills around where I live, weather was a big factor this winter/spring, and I also tend to think that there is an advantage to the uniform and consistent surface of the treadmill. Just a thought -- YMMV.

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

northernman

Fight The Future

Great to hear your PF issues have improved. I got rid of all my shoes with more than 4mm of heel-toe drop; I made a very gradual transition in my running form before I started any training programs, and I believe it has helped a lot in injury prevention. Regarding Hills, I don't know what others think about this, but I did most of my Hills workouts on a treadmill (gasp!). I don't have a lot of hills around where I live, weather was a big factor this winter/spring, and I also tend to think that there is an advantage to the uniform and consistent surface of the treadmill. Just a thought -- YMMV.

That's a great idea. Particularly since downhill seems much more stressful on my calves these days than uphill. Thanks for the suggestion

perryw

Done with week 3.  My long run on Saturday was on our rail trail with my running group.  It was supposed to be 1hr19min / 7.5 miles, so I ran out to about the 3.75 mile mark in just under 39 minutes.  The weather Saturday was great and forcing myself to run slower made for a really enjoyable run.  23 miles last week, which is a high for the past 6 or 7 months, and more than I ran in January and February combined.  But no aches and pains and I was feeling pretty good.

Sunday was a rest day and I spent about an hour doing yard work.

Today.... ugh.  I'm working a weird noon to 9pm shift this week so I woke up about 7:30 (plenty of sleep!), intending to go run my easy fartlek.  I felt horrible.. head ache, back ache, legs sore, and just overall bad feeling.  I bent down to get my running shorts from the drawer, my back felt tight and sore.  So I decided to pass on the run.  Some days you feel it, some days you don't.  I don't want to run at 9:30 tonight when I get home because I'll never get to sleep afterwards!

I'm doing a 6 mile race on Thursday, so my week was already going to be messed up.  Now it will be even more off.  My remaining runs are the aerobic run Tuesday and out-and-back Friday.  I had already nixed the out-and-back due to the race and was just going to do my easy 24 minute jog Friday.  I'm thinking I'll stick with that and not try to do the fartlek run on Friday.  Here's to feeling better Tuesday.

Starting week 7 of a 24 week marathon training plan. This is the point at which my prior training plans started, so it's a new experience putting this many miles in so early. I've been able to keep up so far since this is my "easy" time at work (I am a college professor). My biggest challenge is the weather -- it's been so hot and SO HUMID. Got caught in a sudden drenching rain this morning -- this was flash flood warnings type rain and I was soaked in minutes and running through puddles --  but oddly, it was actually less painful than running in 95% humidity. Fortunately, there was no lightning. More rain and thunderstorms predicted all week so it will be interesting to see how to schedule runs.

I signed up for a 4 mile race on Thursday just because it is held in the park that I usually run through so I had the choice of 1) doing a shorter run somewhere else, 2) running easy to the park, then running the race, and running easy home, or 3) running later in the day when it is hotter and more likely to be thunderstorming. I chose option 2 and will substitute it for my weekly out-and-back.

Hope everyone is dealing ok with the heat and humidity. Just think how much faster we will all be running in the fall!

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/21

Happy

Good luck on your Thursday races, jerseyrunner and perryw!

I signed up for a race on Saturday, but I am definitely NOT running it as a race. It's a 25K trail run that a friend of mine wanted to do, so I agreed. It might not be the best idea this soon after a marathon (2 weeks), but I really want to do it. It promises to be scenic, but very hilly!  There are 8 up-and-downs that have 250 foot elevation changes!  My plan is to bring my cell phone and take pictures along the course. A 4-bottle water belt and lots of snacks are also part of the plan!

This week is my first week of hills.  I really didn't look forward to this phase, but found the bounding to be challenging and fun.

Guess we'll see if it is still fun as the duration increases.

perryw

I'll put up a blog later, but I'm too happy not to post now.  This was my fourth year running the Firecracker 6 in downtown Indianapolis.  I set my race and 6 mile PR by running 49:01 for an 8:11 pace - 35 second PR!  Temps in the mid-60's and 90% humidity.  That compares to my 5k pace a month ago of 8:07, and my 8k 12 days ago @ 8:41 (though on a hotter morning).  The recovery indicator even said "train don't strain" and I slowed myself in mile 4 because my left achilles was tightening up.

I guess something is working for me with this RW plan!  Have a good 4th everyone.

On the road back

Congrats, perryw!

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

Happy

Great job, perryw! Congrats!

Arghhhh, permission to whine and complain??

I paced my mom for her first ever 10K over the weekend with the plan to switch my recovery jog and long run days. The race was very hilly and it was a challenging course, but I got her across the line in under an hour and she won her age group! So....success. The trick to this course is a hill called Lover's Leap. It's a famous lookout point in her town and it's one of those hills where you doubt your car can even drive something that steep. We walked up but my mom loves to sprint downhills...so we did. And I think I either strained or tore something in my left quad. It wasn't so bad the day of, and the next day I completed my long run with only a few aches and pains (although I was running with a slower friend so the pace was easy)

I got home from the weekend away and my youngest was sick and up all night long with a croup like cough. Monday morning was supposed to be an aerobic run, but after being away all weekend, up all night, leg still sore...i skipped the run. And was glad I did, I knew I needed to and my RI's for the day were the lowest I have ever seen. After a day at the doc's office doing breathing treaments with my daughter and being completely stressed out with her new asthma diagnosis...I took my middle daughter to an hotel for a birthday overnight with her best friend....and was up all night  Smile  I couldn't leave them alone so i skipped my fartlek yesterday with plans to make it up on Thurs (my normal rest day)

Got up this morning after a great night's sleep ready to run! Got outside and the heat/humidity was oppressive...but whatever. My heartrate was super high this morning, but I feel ok so I figure I am fighting off the cold that my daughter has (or maybe coming down with it??)  I started to run - and I use the term loosely since I couldn't even maintain my recovery pace - and felt awful and my quad started just screaming. worst it has felt since the race over the weekend. After three miles I gave up and walked back home. if pacing my mom in that silly race sets my training schedule back....I am going to be pissed!!! going to roll it out on my foam roller today and hope that tomorrow I can get back on track