Running-Wizard

how to fit in a 5k race (Read 24 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

So i'm in the 8 week aerobic phase for a marathon in october. In 4 weeks, there is a local 5K I plan to run. The schedule calls for a 9.5 mile out and back on that day, and a 4.5 mile jog the day before. Would you just replace the 9.5 with the 5k race, and call it about even? Would you change the day before? This is not a particularly important race for me, but of course I'd like to win or place in my age group  Big grin

I would keep the jog the day before making sure it was very easy, then probably jog very easy another couple of mi,es after the race...you know, while you wait for everyone else to finish so you can collect your award Wink
      northernman

Fight The Future

I would keep the jog the day before making sure it was very easy, then probably jog very easy another couple of mi,es after the race...you know, while you wait for everyone else to finish so you can collect your award Wink

Ha!  Well, unfortunately there are a couple of really fast 55 year olds around here, and I'm not one of them, so no awards for me! But still, I anticipate getting a PR, since my current 5K PR is at a slower pace than my marathon time.

thanks for the advice ; sounds good.

Hungry

I would also agree with Christirei, especially about doing some easy miles following the 5K. You are in the Aerobic phase, and there is a lot of time until your October marathon, so I think you still want to get in the miles/time on your feet at this stage. The race isn't particularly important to you, and there are some speedy 55-year-olds, ... so I wouldn't expect that you'll be giving it 100% effort, and a few easy miles afterwards will help with cooldown, recovery, etc..

I had a similar dilemma with this weekend's schedule. My schedule says, 9.5 mile PCR run today, 12 mile Jog tomorrow. My marathon is in 6 weeks. But I signed up for a Half Marathon tomorrow... because I'm just dumb that way.  I made the decision to "stick to the plan."  I ran the PCR run this morning (ran it pretty hard), as scheduled.  Tomorrow, I will run the Half Marathon, but I plan to stick with the 2:00 pace group, which should be pretty close to my scheduled Jog pace. This is really only a dilemma because I had my best race result last year at this same event, including my current PR for the Half. (I will try to focus on the scenery, and perhaps try out some fueling and hydration options.)

BTW Northernman: Is your goal race the Twin Cities Marathon? Would you like me to add this as your goal race on the RW status chart? Let me know your goal time, prior PR, etc., and I'll update the chart: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/RunningWizard/forum/b348a45b422449ad98c044933452fe22

northernman

Fight The Future

Oh, sure, why not, Sub. This can be a contest between the potency of the running-wizard approach versus the ravages of old age. My marathon PR was twin cities last year, 3:21:56 (pretty close to your recent PR, i see), and current goal race will be twin cities again. Goal time is 3:17:30, although if things look good, I'd be happy to get a 3:15. Last month I was thinking I could speed up to get a 3:20 at Boston, but arrived with zero motivation somehow, and ended up at 3:24 plus change. I believe I was tired and didn't taper enough. Thanks

Hungry

Oh, sure, why not, Sub. This can be a contest between the potency of the running-wizard approach versus the ravages of old age. My marathon PR was twin cities last year, 3:21:56 (pretty close to your recent PR, i see), and current goal race will be twin cities again. Goal time is 3:17:30, although if things look good, I'd be happy to get a 3:15. Last month I was thinking I could speed up to get a 3:20 at Boston, but arrived with zero motivation somehow, and ended up at 3:24 plus change. I believe I was tired and didn't taper enough. Thanks

I've added it to the status chart. With your recent 3:22 and 3:24 marathons, 3:15 seems quite doable to me (assuming good conditions, decent taper, etc.). It will be interesting to look at our before and after data to assess the RW approach to marathon training. (The data would have to include the obvious disclaimer that, "These results are from 2 guys in Minnesota over the age of 45. Your mileage may vary.")