Running-Wizard

Missed some hill workouts, thinking of adding a week of hills and subtracting a week of taper... (Read 27 times)

Obligatory runner.

...so what do you guys think about that idea? I missed the entire first week of the 3-week hill phase (well, I jogged a few times) due to my apparent food intolerance issues. Today I did what would be, if I stick to the schedule, my last hill workout, giving me a total of 3 hill workouts instead of 6.

I'm inclined to let it be, since nothing is perfect and a training plan is basically just a glimpse at some unattainable, perfect state of running affairs that never happens in real life. THe plan has me starting the anaerobic phase/intervals next week. But I'm a little worried that I won't be adequately prepared for the anaerobic phase, given that the hill phase is meant to strengthen your legs and prepare them for the beating they will take from the intervals. That's how I arrived at the idea of doing this week twice, and shortening the 2-week taper to 1 week.

So I really don't know...how important is this 2-week taper vs. 2 more hill workouts?  I'm not sure I've ever tapered for anything for more than a few days, so I have no prior experience to bring to this decision. Would love to hear some opinions.

By the way - I'm training for a half marathon on 5.5!

Okay, I'm back, baby!! ;o)  Thanks to SubDood who reminded me of this page!!

At any rate, yes, my first and simplest suggestion would be to just let it be.  That said, however, there are various situations.

If you're training for a marathon or a half marathon even; then yeah, just let it go.  Your anaerobic intervals shouldn't be that fast and you would most likely be able to get away with not doing too much hill training (although I still believe hills are very good preparation for a marathon so you COULD mix intervals with hills too...).

If you're training for a shorter event like 5k, you may want to count how many weeks you have for anaerobic interval training phase.  If you only have 2, by all mean, forget hills and move on.  But if you have, say, full 4 weeks, you may want to do one more week of hill before you move on to intervals and just do 3 weeks instead.

One time, I was coaching this young girl who was training for indoor 800m and we were running out of time so we basically did "running up hills fast"; mixture of hills and intervals.  We only had 2 weeks to that's the alternate we did.  It worked well (of course, we weren't quite shooting to peak for indoor but we still wanted to be ready so she wouldn't get hurt).

Let me know how many weeks before you target race; what event you're training for.  But, my rule of thumb is; if you miss something, basically move on with caution.  Don't dwell on something you've missed.

...so what do you guys think about that idea? I missed the entire first week of the 3-week hill phase (well, I jogged a few times) due to my apparent food intolerance issues. Today I did what would be, if I stick to the schedule, my last hill workout, giving me a total of 3 hill workouts instead of 6.

I'm inclined to let it be, since nothing is perfect and a training plan is basically just a glimpse at some unattainable, perfect state of running affairs that never happens in real life. THe plan has me starting the anaerobic phase/intervals next week. But I'm a little worried that I won't be adequately prepared for the anaerobic phase, given that the hill phase is meant to strengthen your legs and prepare them for the beating they will take from the intervals. That's how I arrived at the idea of doing this week twice, and shortening the 2-week taper to 1 week.

So I really don't know...how important is this 2-week taper vs. 2 more hill workouts?  I'm not sure I've ever tapered for anything for more than a few days, so I have no prior experience to bring to this decision. Would love to hear some opinions.

By the way - I'm training for a half marathon on 5.5!

JML

recommend keeping the taper particulaly given that your goal race is a half.  The next two phases prior to taper can be a bit challenging, and you want to make sure that you have enough time during taper for the fitness you have worked so hard to build to fully sink in and be there for you on race day.  I would be concerned if you had done zero hill workouts, but three should give you adequate leg strength to proceed.  As it stands, I would suggest running your first interval workout very carefully to avoid pushing the pace beyond the recommended range.  If anything, I would heed the warning in the interval writeup and not push to finish the set if you feel drained and your form starts to degrade.

Life does happen some times.  You can't make up runs that you missed.  You can only proceed with the fitness that you have built so far.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Obligatory runner.

Thanks for the answers, Nobby and JML!

Nobby - the race is a half marathon on May 5th, so 6 weeks to go. Thanks for the idea to run up hills fast! I'll think about that as an alternative to doing 400's on the track.

JML - I like the idea of the taper being there so that your fitness can sink in. The next 4 weeks are definitely going to be a challenge. I can see needing a little time to recover after all that fast running.

I'll stick with the plan as it is and see if I can incorporate some fast uphill stuff. If all this snow ever melts, I may even get to do some hilly trail runs. It will all be fine, I'm sure Smile

Yeah, I'd mix up hills and 400s--if you're doing more than 6-days-a-week, then you should have 2 quality workouts + O&B.  I'd do one intervals and one hills.  And I wouldn't do bounding or springing; I'd run up hard (not necessarily fast).  Do that for the next 2 weeks and then Coordination and then Taper.  You should be fine.

Thanks for the answers, Nobby and JML!

Nobby - the race is a half marathon on May 5th, so 6 weeks to go. Thanks for the idea to run up hills fast! I'll think about that as an alternative to doing 400's on the track.

Obligatory runner.

Thank you Nobby! I will report back...

Yeah, I'd mix up hills and 400s--if you're doing more than 6-days-a-week, then you should have 2 quality workouts + O&B.  I'd do one intervals and one hills.  And I wouldn't do bounding or springing; I'd run up hard (not necessarily fast).  Do that for the next 2 weeks and then Coordination and then Taper.  You should be fine.