Running-Wizard

Hill Bounding video (Read 40 times)

JML

My apologies for taking so long to post this.  Enclosed is a video that I shot of Nobby doing hill bounding in Boulder in June.  I hope that this helps people new to RunningWizard to better understand how to do this workout.  I have also enclosed the RW write up on this workout for easy reference.

Modified 8/28:  The video link has been changed.  Nobby sent me a link to a new video to better demonstrate the workout

https://sprongo.com/video/884297#playlist/64079

Instruction

Warm-up well.

Beginner: (if you are new to this or have limited ankle flexibility). Run a hilly course. Do not try to run fast on the uphills but rather concentrate on a good knee lift, strong arm swing, uplifted chest and full push-off extension in your back leg. Practice running efficiently on the downhills with high turnover and enough of a forward lean that your front leg lands directly under you.

Marathon and Road Runners: (if you have regularly run hilly courses in your aerobic phase and have no ankle issues). Find a hill about 200 to 400m in length; go up the hill with a bouncy action and a good posture, concentrating on a good knee lift and arm swing with a “snap” with your ankle

Hill Set

1. Spring up the hill
    2. Jog until recovered at the top
    3. Stride down fast but in control
    4. Run 3 x 150 meter (approx) stride-outs (slightly faster than your fastest aerobic pace) with full jog recovery between. If the hill is short, do these stride-outs only every 15 minutes.

Track runners: (if you have done intermediate hills for a session or two with no recovery or ankle issues). Same workout as for the intermediate but using a bounding action uphill

Important Points

Proceed cautiously as these drills are very demanding on your legs. If you are not used to this kind of exercise proceed slowly by doing just one hill bound on the last hill initially.

On your first session always do one hill set only or about 20-minutes.

Add one hill each session until you reach a maximum of 4 or total duration of about an hour.  Make sure that you include a good warm-up and cool-down on the top of the suggested time duration.

Don't concentrate on the number of repeats; do as many repeats as the time allows. On your first session, it may be just one uphill in 20-minutes but that's okay. Add one hill each session until you reach 3 or 4; or total time of about an hour.

Hill springing and bounding are forms of plyometric exercise; therefore, the slower you go up, the more resistance will be felt and obtain better results.

On the downhill learn to use gravity efficiently by increasing your leg turnover while keeping your chest forward. Relaxation is key here.

Adaptation

• Leg Power and Flexibility
    • Leg Speed
    • Resistance to pounding
    • Safely develops the muscular and neurological infrastructure for subsequent phases that develop speed. (especially important for those locked in a shuffle and find it hard to lift their pace).

Biggest Mistakes

• Running too fast up the hill rather than concentrating on form.
    • Running too hard up the hill and getting into too much oxygen debt. This is not desirable in this phase.
    • Putting more stress on the legs than they are ready for with too much bounding or downhill running and getting injured.
    • Precipitating your peak with repeated speed bursts. Some people tend to develop speed very quickly once they start doing the hill circuit. If this is the case, go very easy with downhill striding and on the stride-outs. You’ll still have plenty of time to develop speed to maximum. Premature speed development would only lead to premature peaking and this should be avoided.
    • Warning: The first week of hill training is one of the times where injury is most likely to occur.
    • This is a very demanding exercise; you should start working on your legs during the last 2 or 3 weeks of your Aerobic Conditioning Phase to prepare your legs. Be overly cautious and feel your way gradually!
    • Lydiard cautioned that after about 2 weeks in this phase your legs could feel very tired and you may feel you’re actually slower. This is normal and will pass in the last 2 weeks of the phase

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Nuinta

? When I click the link it goes to sprongo but says request invalid?

JML

It looks like sprongo now requires you to have a user account (which is free) to see the video.  Once I logged into Sprongo, I clicked on the link and it worked.

Supersono99

I created a sprongo account but still cannot view the video. Any help would be appreciated,  I have my first hill workout tomorrow. How long should it take from bottom to top bounding up the hill one time? Or how long should the hill be?

JML

I was able to login and view the video.  I was also able to download it.  PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Thanks

JML

To answer your other questions:

- The hill should be 200-400m in length,  If this is your first ever hill workout, I would keep it on the shorter side.

- The time that it takes is not important.  This is a strength drill, and the form is more important than the speed.  In fact, you will have better results if you do this at a slower pace.  If you go to fast, it is hard to have the desired 'bouncy' form and this could turn into a hill sprint which is not the goal.

zonykel

I got a sprongo account and I still can't see it either.

JML, I'll PM you my email address. Thanks.

Supersono99

I sent you my email address.

Hmmm, I think the hill I'm going to use tomorrow may only be 100m or so. It'll have to do.

JML

100m should be fine.

Good luck!

Supersono99

Thanks for sending it.

zonykel

Thanks for sending it.

+1 Thanks for sending to me as well.

JML

Nobby just posted the video on the revised Lydiard foundation site:

http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/hill-bounding/