Running-Wizard

RW Goal Races, Results, etc. (Read 85 times)

Hungry

Deleted picture. It was a very cute picture. But someone objected. Sorry.

zonykel

Congrats, zonykel!  That's a great result. I'll add it to the chart. Any more races coming up? How's the cat food situation?

I signed up for another Running Wizard training plan, but this time it's the 5K. My goal race is October 26 (Name is "Miles for Missions"). Goal time is 22 minutes. Based on what I've read so far, looks like I can try race on alternate weeks once I reach my peak, so we'll see how many more 5Ks I add to that after the goal race.

For the cats, we took out one of the cat litters outside. My wife is not changing the cat food. She's putting the cats on a diet.

Boston Strong in 2014!

Don't know if this really counts because my goal race was the Boston Marathon on April 15, but I ran a PR in a 5k race today, one month after using RW to train for Boston. I was shooting for 25:00; my time was 24:28, first in my age group. Previous PR was 24:50 from Jan. 2008. Never thought I could get faster at age 59!

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21

Hungry

Don't know if this really counts because my goal race was the Boston Marathon on April 15, but I ran a PR in a 5k race today, one month after using RW to train for Boston. I was shooting for 25:00; my time was 24:28, first in my age group. Previous PR was 24:50 from Jan. 2008. Never thought I could get faster at age 59!

Congrats jerseyrunner! I absolutely think it counts! A PR, and first in age group ... I would guess you are still very fit from your Boston training cycle.

Great result -- congrats!

zonykel

I looked at the thread. Thanks!

Obligatory runner.

Right, I'll just come out and admit that I'm going to run a HM on June 2nd: the Potsdamer Schlösserlauf. After the recent millet debacle, I think a good goal would be to finish the damn race.

Hungry

Right, I'll just come out and admit that I'm going to run a HM on June 2nd: the Potsdamer Schlösserlauf. After the recent millet debacle, I think a good goal would be to finish the damn race.

Yes! Best name for a race! Potsdamer Schlösserlauf!

Harriet...I bet you run a great race! you haven't lost the fitness you built from your training...it's more like you had a very nice long relaxed taper period Smile

Subdood, I think I have a goal time in mind for my October marathon. RW plan predicts a 3:10 finish, which would be BQ -20 for me....and a fourty minute PR!! hahahahaha. I am going to hope for a 3:20, which is still a BQ -10 and would be a thirty minute marathon PR. Helps me to wrap my mind around running a full marathon at that pace, and maybe if my training is just kick butt then I can run an amazing negative split and come in under the 3:20 goal time Smile

I haven't posted much, but I finished my first RW plan and goal race May 5th and thought I'd share.

summary: trail 50k - goal time: 6h - a stretch, actual 6:26

Goal race was the Run for Kids 50k in Birmingham, AL, a nice reasonably flat single track trail, not too technical, about 2500ft elevation gain with no steep climbs. My previous best (if they can even be compared) was a 7:34 at Cheaha 50k that had over double the climbing and plenty of steep stuff - steep enough I was using my hands to pull my self up at times! Oh and I never really pushed during that race, I just wanted to finish my first 50k feeling good.

For this race I wanted to see how fast I could finish. I thought I might be able to get a sub 6 hour time if the trail/ weather etc cooperated and I didn't do anything too stupid. Massive thunder storms the night before the race and heavy rain during the race made for a very wet experience. We got 2 inches of rain in the first 4 hours. I was on goal pace for 22 miles and then crashed badly. My pace went from under 12 minute miles (average including aid station stops) to over 15 over the course of 3 miles. Finished in 6:26. I think it was mostly due to trying to keep up too aggressive a pace (though it never felt strenuous), but may also have partly been due to getting dehydrated and not taking in much salt. I was massively thirsty once I finished and was really craving salt. I was eating a gel about every 35-40 minutes. Recovery was really good aside from the worst chafing I have ever experienced. I was only a little sore the next day.

Overall I am satisfied with the results. I'm confident I'll get a sub 6h 50k eventually - a somewhat arbitrary personal goal I want to reach before trying a 50 mile race.

I didn't do a very good job of following the plan. I kept messing with it because I didn't set it up very well at the start and because I felt I needed more time on my feet for the long runs, 6+hour >> than 4 hour marathon. So I am starting another plan though I don't have a goal race in mind yet.

mta: finished 2nd female!! The first woman finished an hour ahead of me but I'm still pretty happy with the 2nd place Big grin

Mt Cheaha 50k 2/23/2013:  7:34 :D

Lake Martin 50; 27 miles: 5:29:07

Run For Kids 50k, Birmingham, 5/4/2013: 6:26:33 Woot!

Hungry

lynde, thanks for sharing this! Really amazing, actually -- your second(?) 50K; a PR by 1 hour, 8 minutes; and 2nd female finisher.  Congrats!!

I like your description of the course as, "nice reasonably flat," followed shortly thereafter by, "about 2500ft elevation gain."

Good luck with your next training cycle!

lynde, thanks for sharing this! Really amazing, actually -- your second(?) 50K; a PR by 1 hour, 8 minutes; and 2nd female finisher.  Congrats!!

I like your description of the course as, "nice reasonably flat," followed shortly thereafter by, "about 2500ft elevation gain."

Good luck with your next training cycle!

Thanks,

It was my second 50k and about 2.5 months later. It helps that I only started running consistently at the beginning of this year so I am seeing pretty rapid improvement in both my endurance and my confidence I can hold a given pace.

Trails are a different beast lol. Someday I am going to have to travel out west and run some real mountains!

Mt Cheaha 50k 2/23/2013:  7:34 :D

Lake Martin 50; 27 miles: 5:29:07

Run For Kids 50k, Birmingham, 5/4/2013: 6:26:33 Woot!

Hungry

Ran a Half Marathon today as my 13 mile Out n Back. I wanted to run it in 1:35 or so, ended up with a 1:33:23, so pretty close to my plan. Felt good! Finished 4th in my age group (4th of 61 in the M45-49), 32nd overall (out of 852). This was a tune-up for my marathon in 2 weeks. Now, it's taper time!

perryw

UserName____

RaceName

Race Date Race Distance Goal        Time Previous PR Goal Met Y/N Notes_________________
                              perryw

Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon

November 2, 2013 13.1M 1:52:28 1:56:27    

I guess I'll sign-in now that I've finalized my plan and it's starting this week, 21 weeks out.  The goal time is RW's goal time.... my goal is sub 2:00, 10 minutes faster than last year at the same race. But I'll keep the RW goal time down and see what happens during this training.

If I do a 10k the week before the race (October 26) as the plan calls for, I "should" set a 3 minute PR there as well, though I've only run 2 10k's in the past.  PR is 54:47 and the goal time is 51:29.  I have found a race for that day but haven't really made up my mind yet.

Boston Strong in 2014!

Ran a Half Marathon today as my 13 mile Out n Back. I wanted to run it in 1:35 or so, ended up with a 1:33:23, so pretty close to my plan. Felt good! Finished 4th in my age group (4th of 61 in the M45-49), 32nd overall (out of 852). This was a tune-up for my marathon in 2 weeks. Now, it's taper time!

Nice going! Did you have to hold back because it was a training run? Just curious about how easy it is to run races for training and not to give it your full effort.

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21