Running-Wizard

RW Goal Races, Results, etc. (Read 85 times)

Happy

Nice going! Did you have to hold back because it was a training run? Just curious about how easy it is to run races for training and not to give it your full effort.

Thanks! Yes, I didn't want to mess up my marathon training, so I tried to stick to my "plan" pace. It's easy for me to not give it my FULL effort in races like this one -- I'm kind of a slacker once I start to feel fatigued! However, the balancing act is to fight the competitive juices when someone passes me late in the race, and I KNOW I could beat them if I really wanted to. It's stupid, I know. I lucked out this time, though. A woman caught up to me around mile 10 and struck up a conversation. We had an interesting chat the last 3 miles, and it made the time fly by! We ran mile 12 at a 6:57 pace. It was an ideal pacing situation for a "training run."

Yeah, I was tempted to push it. I was less than a minute off my half marathon PR, but I will have a few chances later this summer to work on that.

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

any word from Subdood?? His marathon was yesterday right? I keep checking his log but nothing logged so far...maybe the race is this morning??

Happy

any word from Subdood?? His marathon was yesterday right? I keep checking his log but nothing logged so far...maybe the race is this morning??

Aww, thanks for thinking of me, Christirei! I just posted an update -- separate thread. My log should now be updated, too. It went well, but I've got some pretty major house disasters waiting for me at home. I will update and provide more details when things have settled down at home.

Thanks!

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

On the road back

This is my second attempt at using RW. First time ended in flames during the hill training period (pulled calf on the last repeat of the last workout). I'm really hoping I get to my race healthy because I want to see how accurate the predicted time is because it's so much lower than my PR.

Anyhoo, here are the details:

Race: Thunder Road Marathon in Charlotte, NC

Date: Nov. 16, 2013

RW prediction: 3:47:20

PR: 4:23:32

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

Happy

This is my second attempt at using RW. First time ended in flames during the hill training period (pulled calf on the last repeat of the last workout). I'm really hoping I get to my race healthy because I want to see how accurate the predicted time is because it's so much lower than my PR.

Anyhoo, here are the details:

Race: Thunder Road Marathon in Charlotte, NC

Date: Nov. 16, 2013

RW prediction: 3:47:20

PR: 4:23:32

Thanks, yapper!  I will update the chart. Good luck with the RW program this time around. I think the RW predictions can be pretty aggressive. But I believe that is by design -- it is more an estimate of your "potential" based on your fitness level going into the plan, kind of a "best case scenario," in my opinion. I used my fastest 5K time within the year preceding my plan as my input into the plan, and it seemed to work well. I did not quite meet my RW "predicted time," but it still gave me an all-time PR, and I was thrilled with that result.

Oh, and you mentioned getting injured during the Hills Phase in your previous experience. I would offer two suggestions on this. First, "When in doubt, do less." To me, that means holding back a bit and not overdoing the workouts, especially during the Hills Phase. Second, there is a comment that shows up in the "Notes" column regarding the Hills workouts -- it says that you should prepare for the Hills Phase during the last 2 weeks of the Aerobic Phase. The actual quote is,

• "This is a very demanding exercise; you should start working on your legs during the last 2 or 3 weeks of your Aerobic Conditioning Phase to prepare your legs. Be overly cautious and feel your way gradually!"

I did not see this comment during my program until after I had already finished the Aerobic phase. However, I did proceed cautiously and conservatively after reading it.

Good luck with the plan!

JML

I think the RW predictions can be pretty aggressive. But I believe that is by design -- it is more an estimate of your "potential" based on your fitness level going into the plan, kind of a "best case scenario," in my opinion. 

I don't know that the RW predictions are overly aggressive but I do agree that they are a best case scenario.  When I did my first RW plan for a half, I chuckled a bit at the start of training when I saw the projected race time.  I never thought that I could get to that time after one training cycle.  I ended up running 8 seconds slower than the prediction (Where is my refund Nobby?!?!? Smile).  I think that the predicted times are attainable if the following two conditions are met:

1 - You follow the training plan closely while being mindful of recovery and how you feel.  There is a strong escalation in fitness waiting to happen if you allow it to develop correctly.

2 - You have a good race day.  For me, this includes factors that I cannot control (weather etc) and things that I can (pacing, taper, hydration etc).

In both of my races where I used RW, I adhered to the plan and had a good race day resulting in good PRs.  My recent 5K was significantly faster than the RW prediction which I think indicates that the predicted times are possible.  I think SubDood's recent marathon result also supports this.

All that being said - the RW predicted time for my fall marathon seems a bit daunting.  For now, I am just going to focus on getting in some good training and we will see what happens in November.

Good luck theyapper66 and welcome back to RW

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

JML....where are the details for your fall marathon?? just checked the chart and it doesn't look like your marathon is listed  Smile

Sue in PA

Hi all, I'm new to the RW program and a relative newbie to running.  I did some running last July, culminating in a couple of 5ks in October,  but because of my overzealous training, I ended up with shin splints (the sports orthopedist that I saw told me there was a possible stress fracture).  I was sidelined from running for a couple of months and ended up doing absolutely nothing over the winter other than the PT for my shins and some alpine skiing.  So I'm essentially starting over, and had the presence of mind to seek out a reliable and sensible training program this time around.

I registered for a 10k on October 19 (the Runner's World Half Marathon and Festival 10k) and I'm a little over a week into my RW 10k program.  I ran in the 5k part of the festival last year, and decided to train for the 10k this year.  My daughter-in-law is going to run the 10k with mel--well, not exactly with me the whole way, she's young, very petite, and much faster than me, so I told her I'd see her at the start and finish. Wink

As a result of being (for all intents and purposes) a beginner, I don't have much in the way of history.  But here's what I do have:

Race:  Runner's World Half Marathon and Festival 10k

Date:  October 19, 2013

RW prediction:  finish (no time goal)

PR:  34:24 (5k)

JML

JML....where are the details for your fall marathon?? just checked the chart and it doesn't look like your marathon is listed  Smile

Well......it is a bit of a funny story.  I am actually running two marathons this fall:

Nov 3rd - NYC - Running in support of the charity team that I am coaching, I am going to 'jog' the NYC marathon to help some of the first time marathoners over the line.

Nov 17th - Philly - This is my actual goal race.

Yes.....running two marathons in two weeks is not a great idea.  This is going to test every recovery trick I know, and will likely result in me not coming anywhere close to the RW estimated time.  It is unlikely that I will be recovered properly so I am going to just try to run a smart race in Philly and have a good day.  Being realistic, this probably means something in the neighborhood of 3:30 (RW estimates 3:06).  We will see how this turns out but I suspect that my BQ attempt is going to have to wait until the spring. I spoke to Lorraine and Nobby about this when I was in Boulder and the general consensus was that I am choosing a tough path.  It might workout, but I place the chances of having a good race in Philly around 20%.

In any event, I am very happy being the coach for the team that is raising money for a very good cause.  This feels more important to me than running my best marathon at this point.

Happy

Sue in PA -- Welcome! I will add your race info to the status chart at the "top" of this thread. Good luck with the plan and race!

JML -- Wow. I will add your November marathons to the chart. Q: If you complete 2 marathons in one month, doesn't that qualify you for the Marathon Maniacs club? 2 Marathons in 2 weeks is insane!  Good luck!

(I'm a bit insane myself. I'm running a 25K (15.5 mi) trail run this Saturday, which is just 2 weeks after my marathon. The distance, by itself, wouldn't be insane. But if you look at the elevation plot (major freakin' hills), it's pretty crazy.)

Happy

frank777, how is the tapering going?  Best of luck on your marathon this weekend!

Is anyone else racing any time soon? There is quite a lull in the race chart schedule through July, August, and September. I'll add some of the random races I do between now and then, but I don't have another "goal" race in mind yet. Perhaps others are in the same boat? Maybe it's the heat and humidity?

Hey Subdood, I am running a 10k this weekend, but I am pacing my mom for her first 10k attempt. Her goal is to come in under one hour....which is about my recovery pace Smile. But I am happy to run with her, we rarely get the oppurtunity. This summer I am not anticipating racing much, but I do need to find a sept half marathon for my time trial a few weeks out from my marathon. When I find something I will give you an update!

On the road back

I forgot to list my goal for the marathon in November.  I've been chasing a sub-4 marathon for a bit, so that's the goal.  I'll be even happier if I run closer to the RW predicted time.

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

JML

JML -- Wow. I will add your November marathons to the chart. Q: If you complete 2 marathons in one month, doesn't that qualify you for the Marathon Maniacs club? 2 Marathons in 2 weeks is insane!  Good luck!

Yeah SubDood......nobody ever accused me of being the smartest guy in the room.   I had already signed up to run Philly when the person who runs the charity asked me to help coach for NYC.  Given my belief in the charity he is running, I couldn't say no and I am thrilled to be able to help him.

As to the Marathon Maniacs, I defer to the wisdom of Groucho Marx: "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

Who am I kidding, if I make it through this episode of insanity, I will probably join for no other reason than to get the yellow singlet to wear to races.   In the meantime, I have a lot of miles to run in the next few months to get ready.

frank777

Phew!

Well, that's the Gold Coast Marathon done and dusted. I ran with my daughter Caitlin, who was doing her first full marathon (I've done one before, in 2000). The day was beautiful and clear, a cool 12 degrees C which got up to the low 20s. I ran with Caitlin the whole way as I figured she might need my support if things got tough. She does a 3 minute run/1 minute walk routine, and our tentative target finish time was 5:30. The first 26km or so were great; we were cruising easily and were really enjoying the great crowd support along the while route. But then things started getting difficult for Caitlin, with a slight tummy upset and increasingly stiff muscles slowing her down. We ran past the finish chute at 32 km (an evil touch by the organisers) and collectively gritted our teeth for the 5 km out and back to the finish. Kilometers 32 to 37 were hard for her, but I was so proud to see her knuckle down for the last 5 km to home. We powered down the finish chute for a 5:48:45 finish; a bit slower than we hoped, but oh so proud of the achievement. One proud dad and a sore but happy daughter.

My Running Wizard target time was 4:22. I'll never know if that was achieveable but my gut feeling is that it might have been a bit optimistic. I've pulled up pretty well - sore legs and feet but that's all. I carbo loaded seriously for the first time over the last few days and I'm certain that it worked, as I had absolutely no energy issues at all (although that would also be due to the slower than normal pace that I ran). But I'm very happy that I used the plan because it gave my training structure and forced me to be honest.

I'm not sure that I'll do another full marathon, but next year I'd like to use a RW half marathon plan to try and get my time under 2 hours.