Running-Wizard

Missed my run this morning... (Read 90 times)

You guys were right, I have the flu. Slept for most of the past two days, still feel awful. Thinking this week is a wash. Hope to run again next week, but not sure how to do that, slowly I imagine Smile

Get better soon and take all the rest you need Smile

Being a slow runner means I get to check out YOUR butt...

This is how I do it... http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/SarahinShibs/

JML

You guys were right, I have the flu. Slept for most of the past two days, still feel awful. Thinking this week is a wash. Hope to run again next week, but not sure how to do that, slowly I imagine Smile

Looks like I have joined you in having the flu.  Wednesday's 11 miler stopped at 6 due to feeling terrible and today's out and back is looking like it will not happen.  How many weeks until the end of flu season?  Sigh....

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Finally out of bed today, but already know that my long run isn't happening this weekend. Hoping to do an easy run Monday and see how it goes. My youngest daughter started running a fever last night, so now my whole family has officially had the flu. Hopefully this is it for us this year!

Hungry

Finally out of bed today, but already know that my long run isn't happening this weekend. Hoping to do an easy run Monday and see how it goes. My youngest daughter started running a fever last night, so now my whole family has officially had the flu. Hopefully this is it for us this year!

One thing I did as I was getting over my flu a couple weeks ago was I continued to monitor my resting HR in the mornings. (I didn't record it in the RW Recovery Indicator during this period, because I didn't want it to mess up my "baseline" as I was starting the program -- it was about 10 bpm elevated from what it had been.) Even when I started to feel as though I was well enough to run again, I waited until my resting HR dropped back closer to what it had been before I got sick -- so I probably took an extra 2-3 days off just to make sure I was fully recovered. No need to rush back into it.

Get well!

JML

Went out for my long run this morning after skipping my out and back yesterday due to the pesky flu.  I had low expectations and started at a very slow and easy pace accordingly.  A funny thing happened.....I just kept feeling better as the run progressed.  By the midpoint, I started to slowly increase the pace while making sure that it was still felt easy.  I ended up cruising for the last couple of miles at my normal long run pace without issue.  I guess that oxygenation helps recovery from illness.

Wow, that's nice JML. I took the whole weekend off even though I was feeling better and went out really easy today, no fartlek run for sure!! I felt good, I was worried that my cough would still get in the way, but I was actually fine and felt good the whole way. Tomorrow I am supposed to do a 1.5 hr run, but I think I will repeat my easy six miles and then pick my program back up. yesterday I was feeling fine, but after changing sheets and doing laundry I was so tired I had to sit and rest for a while! So, I know I am not quite back to normal yet and don't want to do anything stupid. My littlest one still is running a fever and very sick, so I have to be strong!

And the winter plagues continue! Woke up this morning (in the middle of the night actually) with a slight fever, feeling like the contents of my cats' litterbox, so skipping the run today. Will take today as a rest day instead of Friday. No big deal really. When is spring? Like in 7 weeks? Is it too early to start counting down?

Christirei, hope you're still on the mend and your daughter is feeling better as well!

JML -  Glad to hear your run turned out well in the end!

Christirei and runharrietrun - I hope you both feel 100% soon, spring is just around the corner Smile

Being a slow runner means I get to check out YOUR butt...

This is how I do it... http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/SarahinShibs/

Have to say the weather has been going through its own series of plagues this week. First it was like -10, then it snowed, then it rained, then everything was covered in ice, then the ice melted but now the wind is absolutely HOWLING outside. Serious gale force stuff.

Spring. it's coming. Eventually. Ommmmmmmm.......

Can I just say that: a) I am going to Delhi for 3 days (yes 3) in February for my friend's wedding, and b) I just emailed the hotel to make sure they have a treadmill, because it's my peak aerobic base-building week and it would be a shame to miss anything.

Is there ANY CHANCE that I will, during my three (3) days in Delhi, complete 2 90-minute runs on a hotel treadmill? Stay tuned...

Hungry

Is there ANY CHANCE that I will, during my three (3) days in Delhi, complete 2 90-minute runs on a hotel treadmill? Stay tuned...

Yes! But it sounds like you are going somewhere that may have better weather than where you are now (snow, ice, and wind, etc.). Delhi is not too bad in February, no? Maybe you can avoid the dreadmill during your visit.

I've gotten very familiar with the treadmill this winter. It was -11 Fahrenheit here in Minnesota this morning. Did my Out-and-Back run for almost 90 minutes on a treadmill. I recently got a new Sony Walkman (MP3 player built into the headset, no cables, no separate device!), and it makes running on the treadmill much more enjoyable for me.

Good luck!

JML

Yes! But it sounds like you are going somewhere that may have better weather than where you are now (snow, ice, and wind, etc.). Delhi is not too bad in February, no? Maybe you can avoid the dreadmill during your visit.

I've gotten very familiar with the treadmill this winter. It was -11 Fahrenheit here in Minnesota this morning. Did my Out-and-Back run for almost 90 minutes on a treadmill. I recently got a new Sony Walkman (MP3 player built into the headset, no cables, no separate device!), and it makes running on the treadmill much more enjoyable for me.

Good luck!

I am with SubDood.  Of course this seems reasonable.  Bring an extra towel to cover up the display on the dreadmill and get 'er done!

Hill Slug

I missweekend key runs this weekend; out & back and my long Run.  Stupid non-running event:  I was out shoveling snow Saturday morning and turned to go sideways but my foot and lower leg stayed stuck in the snow, twisting my knee at an unnatural angle.   I had some acute pain in my knee.(To put it mildly).  Two days of rest, icing and NSAIDs.  I was able to run yesterday with no lingering pain.

Stay healthy!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Ok, so they are calling for the storm of the year here in kc tonight. Guessing there is a good chance my kiddos are getting a snow day tomorrow and I am not going to make my first hill work out...any good ideas on hownthis workout will translate to the treadmill?
                              JML

Ok, so they are calling for the storm of the year here in kc tonight. Guessing there is a good chance my kiddos are getting a snow day tomorrow and I am not going to make my first hill work out...any good ideas on hownthis workout will translate to the treadmill?

Well this is a conundrum but I think that it can be done.  I would recommend the following steps:

1 - Run easy for 15+ minutes to make sure that your legs are well warmed up.  A couple of strides at a higher speed is a good idea as well.

2 - Set the treadmill to a steep elevation with the pace set to something that is a fast walk for you.

3 - Slowly raise the speed until you can comfortably perform the bounding motion required by this workout for 1-2 minutes.

4 - Slow the pace down and drop the elevation to jog easy to prepare for your next bounding interval.

5 - After you are done with your final hill interval, jog easy for 5-10 minutes.

The biggest challenge that I see is to keep the speed during the intervals at an easy enough pace that you can safely stay in place on the treadmill.  I think that it can be done since the point of this is not to sprint up the 'hill' but rather to make sure that you bound with the correct form.

Good luck!