Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Long runs, recovery, and energy levels (Read 20 times)

Howdy!

Y'all were very helpful when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the fall, thank you!  I'm taking 25 mcg of synthroid daily and am doing well - no side effects and a bit more energy.  As I increase my mileage and long runs in preparation for a fall marathon, I find that I'm wiped out after runs of 8, 10, 12 miles.  Yikes, that's just the beginning : )

I've cut out soy milk completely and that seems to help a bit.  During the week I had a nice lag of 2 hours between taking synthroid and having soy milk with cereal but on Saturdays that lag was down to 1 hour or less.

After a longer run I've had chocolate milk and/or a whole wheat bagel egg sandwich (bagel, scrambled eggs, spinach, tomato, yum!) and then lunch a couple of hours later.  I'm not sure if I just need to eat more or try some recovery drinks or something else.

What works for y'all after longer runs so that you can still accomplish something else that day (groceries don't buy themselves : )  ?

Patty

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

HappyFeat

Hi Patty,

Looking at your log, I believe you feel wiped out by your LR because your weekly mileage doesn't support them.  Once you get your weekday mileage up, your LR will get easier.  I don't think it has anything to do with your thyroid.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi Patty, I agree with HappyFeat. I think it would help to build in a mid-long run, and maybe cut back on some of the biking as you increase the running to see if that makes a difference. Good luck!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Shoot. You're right, I keep hoping for a magic recovery food/drink but the answer is not that simple. I'm starting a marathon training plan which has longer mid week runs.

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

HappyFeat

Yep...no magic answer to achieving fitness gains....just run more.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.