Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

new and wanting to start running (Read 284 times)

cheymelah

Hi all!!!

I am so glad to find this forum!!! I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with hypothyroidism after several miscarriages. I was actually pregnant when diagnosed. After having my son (now 7 months old) I was very hyperthyroid TSH levels .005 ! I found an endro and she took me completely off of meds thinking it was just pregnancy related. Fast forward 6 weeks later I am back to being hypo with TSH levels of 46.35 ! The doctor put me on 125 mg of synthyriod...that was 2 weeks ago I still feel bad. I really want to excercise and start running but I am so tired. I have always loved to excercise and have wanted to run and complete even a small race. Have any of you started running after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism? What time of the day do you excercise? Do you any of you find that there is a certain diet that makes you have more energy! I cant wait to get to know some of you thank you so much!!!

Heather

Hi Heather - welcome and congrats on having your son!

Are you new to running?

When it comes to how much a person can do when they are hypo is a very individual thing. It does take about 6 weeks to reach steady state levels with a new synthroid dose, and since you were starting at a low level 2 weeks ago, you might not have enough energy to do much running for a few more weeks  - especially with the demands of a baby. As to the best time, just whenever you feel your energy levels are best. You might want to start with some brisk walking, and then just throw in a minute or two of running at intervals to start with.

What kind of exercise do you like best?

Cheryl

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

cheymelah

HI Cheryl!!!

Thank you so much for replying! I really love to do tae bo and kickboxing. I am new to running. I was trying to start a running routine when I was taken off of medicine. I was up to 1/4 of a mile running straight with 1/8 of a mile  walks in between....2 miles twice a day. Compared to most people on here that is horrible! I will start a whole new routine when I feel better.  My children and I go to the park or I just run around my yard which is 1/4 mile round. I think that I will have to wait a couple of weeks but I am sure ready to feel better! And although I have only gained about 6 pounds it sure feels like its more than that. Are you on a special diet that helps running and hypo? I was thinking of getting a threadmill.....are there opinions on running on a threadmill verses outside

Well, as far as diet and running - just eating healthy and getting good protein and carbs. There are many opinions about treadmills - my opinion is whatever works for you. In the winter, I alternate my running outside, indoor track, and the treadmill. I know lots of peeps who with kids who use a home treadmill to supplement their running when they are not able to get out alone to do their runs.

One more thing - don't compare yourself to other runners - whatever you do is great! You are making a decision to get out there and do something rather than just sit around. Running can be a very fickle friend - sometimes every thing just clicks, and other times....well, all of us go through ups and downs with running, but there is just something about it, because we keep getting back out there

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Welcome Heather.  Congrads on running.  You will be surprised at how fast you will improve.  Even on my worst days, I try to remember that any distance is better than no distance.  And you have to give your body a chance to adapt to all these wonderful, amazing changes--the new baby and the running.  Seriously, you have been through a lot and it takes time.  Keep us posted on your progress.