Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Medications (Read 718 times)

Running Mama

I haven't been checking my HR - I am just so used to having a low one! Last year, long before anyone ever thought to check my thyroid, I'd been sent to a cardiologist b/c my HR was down in the 40s and I was feeling like the bottom of a shoe. Of course, the cardiologist found nothing and sent me away more confused. I just gave up - but I'll start tracking and I will call my dr. tomorrow. I tell ya, I better not be pregnant on top of all this! But I'll check that, too, just in case!

In the months after my surgery, before my doc realized that my TSH wasn't responding the way it should - my doses kept getting dropped lower and lower - I felt like, well, you know , for months. My HR dropped down into the low 40's and the doc tried to tell me it was because I was a "well-trained athlete". Ha - it was a rather sudden change and I've never had HR's that low before or since. I train with a HR monitor and I know my zones. If it had truly been due to my awesome conditioning - I would have been running stronger and faster, not slower and lower mileage .  That being said, it's not just one thing, but a combination of symptoms to watch for.

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Top 'O the World!

So,  I got my 2nd round of lab work. Showed that my TSH levels had dropped significantly - in fact, per Doc. too much! sooo, he modified my script of Levothyroxin from 50mg to 25mg....within a few days, the tired/sluggish crap set back in - maybe worse than before meds!  Now, on 50mg, I was nearly symptom free.  ?
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Running Mama

How often will they change your dose? It sounds like you need to go back to 50 mcg - do doctors ever take symptoms into account or do they just use your numbers as a guide?? Just curious. I'm new to all of this, but I will be getting my next round of bloodwork done in 2 weeks and want to know what I can expect! I am just starting to feel a little better, but I hear that once the dosage is right, I'll feel better than everQ
            It takes 6 weeks to reach steady state - so normally dose changes aren't any more frequent than that - especially in the beginning. However, if things aren't going well, a check at 4 weeks will let you know if you are on the right track. As far as dosing by symptoms - depends on your doc, some are more willing than others to look at the complete picture.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I started on a dose of 50mcg of levothyroxin for 4 weeks. My level went from 5.5 to 3.145 and the doc declared my levels "normal". I explained to her that I still felt horrid and she agreed to up it to 75mcg for another month. I will be due for another blood test in a couple of weeks. I think I might be feeling a bit less tired than I was but I certainly don't feel great yet. Anyone have any insight on what a good level (range) really is since my doc apparently thought 3.145 was normal?

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

"most" women feel best with a TSH around 1 - but it is a very individual thing - and how you feel is critical. That being said, if you have been hypothyroid for a long time, it can take longer than 6 weeks after your levels come up to your personal sweet spot for you to fully recover. For me, my GI system gets hit really hard when I'm hypo and takes a looooong time to recover, for you it might be something different.

For all of us, it seems as though our running endurance takes a major hit. I think it must have something to do with how our bodies are able to recover/repair from intensive exercise when we are hypo.

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Thank you for the input. I was just diagnosed as hypo April 6th of this year and started meds on the 8th. I have been feeling poorly for quite some time so it's hard to pin point when this all started...I honestly had attributed my symptoms to stress until I started having womanly problems and my ob tested my iron and thyroid. At this point I am at least starting to have some ok days - (meaning I'm not almost falling asleep throughout the day at work) but emotionally I am an absolute mess. It made me feel so much better to see that others have had similar sypmtoms because I really thought I was going crazy. I'm just worried at this point that my doctor won't treat me as low as a 1 - have you or anyone else experienced any issues with that? This is such a slow road...so frustrating...and my running is really really suffering.

Oh, one more thing...has anyone experienced a lot of muscle and joint pain from being hypo?

Thanks!!!!

The emotional mess part was one of the things I had the hardest time dealing with. It was very difficult to present my case to the doctors I saw - without breaking down and crying - I really hated crying in front of them, but it was just not something I could control no matter how hard I tried. My OB was an absolute angel - told me she understood that this was not the real me, and interceded for me with the other docs. The emotional stuff all went away when I finally got back to near optimum levels for me. The muscle and joint pain was definitely there, again, cleared up when my levels were better.

If your ferritin( iron storage protein)  level is low (in the 30's or less) I would start taking an iron supplement - stay away from the time release stuff, and keep it about 4 hours away from your thyroid meds.

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

My iron levels were normal - which i was glad to hear since I became a vegetarian the beginning of the year.

I haven't broke down in front of the doctor (yet). So far they are still prescribing and trying to work with me but I could see having a full on melt down after my next test if she still thinks my numbers are "normal" and I still feel this bad! I really just feel sorry for my family...I swear I never know what is going to set me off and make me cry!

The muscle and joint pain has really interfered with my running...I will be soooo thankful when/if that goes away!