Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Welcome and please say Hi (Read 927 times)

Chenille,

Thanks so much for reading and responding to my lengthy tale!  I did start taking Synthroid (25 mcg), about a week ago. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I've been pretty tired more often than not for the past few years, to the point of being irritable and feeling easily overwhelmed so my dr's idea that I'm hypothyroid started to make sense and seem less scary.  Reading others' posts in this forum was very helpful to me in getting past the idea that a diagnosis would limit my running or restrict what I could do in some way.

Your thoughts on the lab tests are very helpful!   Without more detailed tests in the past, I really don't know what's normal for me. My dr did say she'd send me an order for another blood test before the endo appt but I'll have to check on what detailed tests she puts on the order. It might be worth checking with the endo's office to see what they'd like to have.  She was pretty easy to talk to and willing to order more tests even though she's sure that it doesn't make much difference in the treatment.

What types of symptoms are associated with low FT3 (hypo?) or high FT4 (hyper?)?

When I talked to my dr. the other day she said that with the lower TSH for the 2nd test she'd call this subclinical hypothyroidism; she's convinced that it will gradually get worse and I'll end up on synthroid sooner or later.   I'm ok with taking synthroid if it means my energy, concentration and irritability will level out or improve a bit.  I haven't noticed any problems with the synthroid; I'm taking it in the morning before working out, having breakfast over an hour later and taking calcium at night.

Do you take your resting heart rate before taking synthroid in the am?  Do you just keep the Garmin or whatever beside the bed and use that? I haven't tracked resting heart rate before but I am trying out a low heart rate type of training for the winter so I'm running with a hrm for the first time.

I saw your update in another thread and hope you get some relief soon, especially from the stomach upset symptoms, yuck : (

Patty

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

It takes about 6 weeks for you to have the full effect from synthroid, although you may notice that you feel different in about 2 weeks.

To take your resting HR, just keep any watch that counts seconds by your bed, and take your pulse for 30 sec and multiply by 2 or for the full 60 seconds. Do this as soon as you wake up before you get out of bed.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group