Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

6 month status (Read 498 times)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi. I go in for bloodwork in a few weeks to see how the Synthroid meds are doing in relation to my thyroid activity. I am hoping it all goes well. This last 6 months has been completely life changing. You can tell from my log when the meds starting working. I went from no activity to 20 miles per week. I feel absolutely wonderful and have lost about 25 pounds. I have a worry that the doctor is going to change the dose and I will sink back into the No Energy Zone. My life has changed and I don't want to go back!
      Congratulations, Kate! I am so happy for you! Checked your log and you are doing great. Looking at your running HR's - you shouldn't have to worry about getting a dose cut in your synthroid. The absolutely best part is that you feel great - priceless Smile Do you have any particular running goals for this year?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Kate that is great that you are feeling like a new person! Your running looks really good too. What dose are you on now? I wouldn't worry to much, it sounds like you are in a good place now, and even if the dosage gets dropped slightly it may not make a big difference since you are already feeling good. I would imagine coming from a happy zone is better than coming from the no energy zone. How's everyone else feeling? I have been having some weight struggles but mentally/emotionally feeling good. I go back for another ultrasound and bloodwork at the end of Feb and I am interested to see what my numbers are. Based on how I feel I would guess that I am still not clinically hypo, but I think my values may be trending in that direction again. Just a gut instinct but I will have to wait and see.
        HappyFeat

I'm SO there with you on this, Kate! I'm due in Feb for bloodwork since going to 112 mcg several months ago and I'm feeling great and my running is going great. Like you, I'm thrilled; but I worry every time I feel good and have to have lab work that my dosage might get reduced. I admit that in 24 years, that's actually NEVER happened - but still I worryBlush Running-wise, my main accomplishment in these last months has been to run 4 miles 5 times per week, with an occasional 5-miler in there. This is HUGE after the year I had with my thyroid fluctuation. So I'm reallly happy as well. My current goal (as of just now) is to start adding distance to Sunday's run to build a weekly Long Run.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

That is great to hear HappyFeat!
              Great news for HappyFeat too!!!! Awesome start to the New Year Smile Shaunna - keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well for you too!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Cheryl, Don't you have a January endocrine appt and bloodwork that was postponed from before your glorious marathon? ~Amy

Driver, Runner, Bestie

OK- got the result over the phone. I will have to pick up the full report at the office. My doc is pleased with the thyroid test---.4, but the test still continues to show iron-deficiency anemia. I guess I will have to (and sorry to be so blunt) do a poo test to see if there is blood loss. I am excited about the thyroid test, though. I was so worried that my prescription would have to be adjusted down. I am on 137 mcgs currently. When I was put on this amount, the doctor opined it might be too much, but that we would try it. The worst thing I fear if my dose was lowered is that the fatigue will return. Having experienced what is probably a more normal energy level for the first time in many years, I don't want to go backwards ever again. Anyone else get recent results? What is your biggest fear about this condition?
                    OK- got the result over the phone. I will have to pick up the full report at the office. My doc is pleased with the thyroid test---.4, but the test still continues to show iron-deficiency anemia. I guess I will have to (and sorry to be so blunt) do a poo test to see if there is blood loss. I am excited about the thyroid test, though. I was so worried that my prescription would have to be adjusted down. I am on 137 mcgs currently. When I was put on this amount, the doctor opined it might be too much, but that we would try it. The worst thing I fear if my dose was lowered is that the fatigue will return. Having experienced what is probably a more normal energy level for the first time in many years, I don't want to go backwards ever again. Anyone else get recent results? What is your biggest fear about this condition?
                    Kate - so glad that things are going well for you! Were your iron levels better, but still low or no improvement? Good luck with the poo test Big grin

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Texangirl

Hi everyone! I am new to the site here..but I am SOOOO excited to find you all! I am a new runner, (have gone from the couch to 5k in 6 months...but find my times are still very slow. (5K 40 min.) I had a total thyroidectomy in '07 from uncontrollable thyroiditis. (not hashimotos) when my thyroid was inflamed it sent out huge amounts of T4...and then when it was suppressed with cortisone...the level's went down. Talk about a rollercoaster! After several years of this, I just coudn't take it. Even on synthroid it would flare up, so I had elective surgery at my doctor's suggestion. I feel SO much better. Bad news...during all that time..my muscles turned to jello..so for me to start working out was very necessary. (I am 44yr old female.) I am also a "poor converter" which means, I don't convert T4 into T3..the T4 levels rise..and the T3 levels decrease. I currently take 3.5 grains of armour and 25 mg. cytomel. (split into 3 divided doses throughout the day.) My TSH is always around .005 to .001..but my doc doesn't look at that....she just looks at the T3 and T4 levels. My problem is that the more I run, (3 times a week for 5-6K each time) I find I am not losing weight, but gaining, and my legs/skin is itching again..and retaining water. My 3 classic hypo symptoms. So..I will give it more time..but I am afraid the extra running is using up the thyroid meds..and they may have in increase my dosages in order to take care of the hypo symptoms..we will see. I go for bloodwork in April. Thank you all for being there..and keeping such great attitudes about our thyroid issues and not letting it stop us from running.
                        Welcome Texangirl, we are glad you found us! Smile It sounds like you have been through a lot already but you seem to have a good doctor who is willing to look at variables other than just TSH. How long were you stable on that dosage before you started running? Hopefully a small increase will be enough to get you feeling good again. Keep us updated with your bloodwork results.
                        HappyFeat

Welcome Texangirl and congratulations on your running program. Can you ask for updated labs before April? This is the first I've heard of increased running affecting dosing. Hmmm. One more factor to consider in my own sitch. Has anyone else noticed that the more they run, the less effective their dose seems to be? MTA: Has anyone noticed that ERT (estrogen replacement therapy) affects their thyroid? Just wondering. ~Amy

Hi Texangirl! So glad you found us Smile Sounds like you have a good doc. If you are having your classic hypo symptoms, then I would guess that your low levels are interferring with your running - especially if you are a poor converter to start with, and if you resumed running after you had a good dose established for you. Do you take any vitamin/mineral supplements? Do you know if you have low ferritin issues? I've recently read a number of articles saying that if you have thyroid issues, your ferritin levels should be in the 70-90 range (normal range 30-300). Amy - I didn't have a drop in my levels until I bumped up my training for the marathon - but it was a pretty big increase. If you still have at least some function left in your thyroid, you may not have a problem with increased mileage. Estrogen definitely competes with thyroid hormone and increases binding of T4. If your doses were established while you were on a stable dose of ERT, then you should be just fine as long as there isn't an increase in your ERT. At the same time, if you decrease your dose or stop ERT, then you may need to drop your thyroid dose. The kind of ERT you use can make a difference too.

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Thanks Cheryl - really appreciate your input. ~Amy

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi Texangirl: Glad you found us. This group is a source of encouragement as well as a wealth of information for me. I am glad that you are running. It can be a daily struggle, especially when our energy levels are so depleted. I don't get the itchy skin, but I definately have numbness. And the weight gain is especially frustrating. I remember having a one pound weight loss early on in getting my dose stable and my internal med doc was crazy happy, really driving home the point how hard it is for us hypos to lose weight. Cheryl: you mentioned you found an article, "I've recently read a number of articles saying that if you have thyroid issues, your ferritin levels should be in the 70-90 range (normal range 30-300)." Do you have a link? My ferritin level has sunk to 3.8 and I think I am experiencing a number of symptoms related to that poor number.