Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

How's your summer going? (Read 294 times)

Hard to believe it's August already! The kids up here will be back at school in 10 days!

After a great start to the year, I was injured in June - still recovering, so I've kept myself busy with a little re-vamp of my home - going through room by room, getting rid of clutter, and moving things around. We've been in this house for 9 years, so it was time to change things up a little. I'm hoping that if I can be patient a little longer, I'll be able to resume running in a couple of weeks. On the thyroid front - my last 3 labs have shown a steady decline in my T3 levels, but I seem to be doing OK - I think it's because I haven't been doing much aerobically for the last 2 months. In any case, I'm feeling well from that standpoint, and I have my next labs scheduled after Labor Day, so it will be interesting to see if I'm holding steady or still dropping.

Our summer started out with great weather, but we've seen a lot of grey, cloudy skies and rain, rain, rain for the last 3 weeks! Today it's finally cleared a little and I'm planning on going out for short hike.

What have you been up to?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

How disappointing for you to get injured, Chenille  Glad you're feeling well otherwise.

My latest TSH done last week was 1.4 and I am feeling good in that regard. I'm currently taking 112 mcg Synthroid 6 days a week, and skipping the 7th. I get re-tested in 6 months.

I've been dealing with ischial bursitis (of the sit-bones - yes you can get it there!) since April. It took me until June to figure out what it was and how to manage it - with the help of another RAer. I'm currently running very slowly every other day. This week was  6, 7 and 8 mile runs; so my mileage is way down and I'm losing sight of my Pace Bunny. But at least I'm still running and I'm building endurance. My weekday runs were only 4 to 5 miles before this. Actually the problem surfaced when I started trying to build in a Saturday Long run. Once all symptoms are gone and I don't relapse, I can go back to running more often; but I think that will be another month or so. The summer here in Washington has been fantastic and I've done some hiking too.

How is everyone else doing?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

My 13 year old son has spinal fusion surgery in May at Barnes Children Hospital in St. Louis to correct a 48 degree curve in his back.  We had braced him for a year, but that didn't work, so surgery was really the only choice.  He has 20 pins and rods in  his back and we call  him the "Quarter Million Dollar Man" because the health care expense has been enormous.  (i guess my health insurance likes to give me a mini heart attack every other day because they show the expenses and then have paid very well--still, when you see a bill like that in the mail....).  Anyway, Tommy has done fantastic.  He was out of the hospital 2 days early and completely off all pain medication within 10 days.  He continues to heal amazingly fast.  The only draw back is no competitive sports for one year and he plays them all:  football, basketball, hockey, track and baseball.  He will get to work out with his teams on a daily basis, just not play in competition and next year, when he enters high school; he will be able to go 100 percent.  

On a positive note, I ran everyday when we were in St. Louis, except the day of surgery (that was 6 hours) and there is a great running area in River Forrest right out the hospital doors.  Those runs really meant a lot to me and helped me with the stress of the whole situation. 

Running wise, I had what I considered a terribly disappointing half marathon in early May.  Unexpected humidity and a total bonk around Mile 8 made it a death march.  So I have trained pretty hard (for me) through the summer, which has featured a lot of humidity in the Midwest.  I still have enjoyed it, even though my pace is quite slow. My half marathon fall race is September 12th and I am hoping it goes better.

Thyroid wise, I will see in another month when I get my labs done.  I am struggling with a weight gain and I feel a little punky, so I am curious to see what happens.

Cheryl:  I cant stand injuries!   I hope you get back out fast.  Isn't summer one of your best running seasons in Alaska?     

So glad to hear that your DS is healing quickly - what an ordeal for the whole family.

Good job on your summer training and hopefully all will fall into place for Sept 12th.

I basically missed the whole summer running season - hard blow, but I was finally able to put things into perspective - I think another week or two and I'll be able to start a return to run program.

Ouch to the ishial bursitits! No, I didn't know you could get it there! Hope you are completely recovered soon!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Kate, I'm so glad your son came through a major surgery like that in such excellent shape and hope he can resume his sports activities in high school. That's a huge stressor for you - and I can understand why the running was helpful - fantastic to have a good running venue so close to the hospital - what great luck there.  Will you get your thyroid tests done before the HM in the fall? Not that it will make much difference, just wondering.

My ischial bursitis developed when I was training for a HM last June - which I was then unable to run in. Oh well, I exceeded my expectations in the May Rhody Run; so I know there's hope for me yet. I'm toying with the idea of entering an October HM. If I can run 8 miles now, I should be able to do that - at a very slow pace.  It's tough to predict LIFE though and I haven't decided yet whether to plunk down my entry fee or not.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Happy:  I didn't know what ischial bursitis was until I googled it a minute ago and OUCH!  Painful when sitting?  That must be really frustrating.  I peaked at your log and it does look like you are running consistent now.  I think you should get the October HM if you are feeling ok.  Its such a motivator to have something to look for and train towards.  If you are like me, I don't really want to travel too far for a race, so there are 2 HM races per year in my area.  Short drives and the race atmosphere is fun, too.  I would do it, even if my time was a bit slower due to the iinjury.

I will get my blood work done about 2 weeks before the HM.  Don't know what it will show.  I am not the most disclipined eater, but I had managed to lose about 20 pounds in a year.  In about 3 months, I have put on about 10 pounds and I have kept up the same physical exercise routine and the same eating habits.  So I don't know why this is happening.  I suspect its from a Synthroid adjustment that was made about 6 months ago, reducing 132 mcg to 125 mcg.  I was not very happy with that decision, but our health care provider had a change in doctors and this new guy thought that .3 was too hyper, citing something about increased heart palpitations in studies.  I had no such side effects but he still made the adjustment.  I went to 5.82, then he switched the medication from generic to Synthroid, but kept it at 125 mcgs and I am waiting to see the new numbers after using the Synthroid for about 6 months.    

Sorry to digress....  We were having a lovely discussion about summer and maybe we should keep that as the focus.     

HappyFeat

.  I went to 5.82, then he switched the medication from generic to Synthroid, but kept it at 125 mcgs and I am waiting to see the new numbers after using the Synthroid for about 6 months.    

WHAT??! Surely you mean a re-test in Six Weeks - not Six Months ??  Six weeks is all you need to register a change in my experience. With a reading of 5.82 and feeling the way you do, I'd be knocking his door down to get the test done at 6 weeks. Sheesh! 

Thanks for the encouragement...think I will look for a fall HM...and yes, ischial bursitis is a real "pain in the butt" I hope no one here EVER gets it because it's a miserable experience.

WHAT??! Surely you mean a re-test in Six Weeks - not Six Months ??  Six weeks is all you need to register a change in my experience. With a reading of 5.82 and feeling the way you do, I'd be knocking his door down to get the test done at 6 weeks. Sheesh! 

Yikes! I missed this - ditto - 6 months in way too long to wait for a retest.

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I am just not proactive enough with my health I guess.  Its been 5 months now, but since I picked up my last script yesterday with no refills, I think I will have my blood draw sometime today.  I will let you guess know.

Happy:  Go for it.  The sooner you sign up, the more time you have to make that concentrated effort.  That always helps me. 

My summer has been awesome (traveling-wise) and terrible (health and fitness-wise)!

In June I got slammed with a brutal sinus infection that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear up. Even 6 weeks after that I was still completely exhausted and would fall asleep any time I sat down. A couple of times I tried to run I almost had to take a nap in the middle of it (and that was only 3 miles or so!). Plus I still had post-nasal drip. And with a big cut-back in excercise (and 3 weeks of vacation) I put on 8 lbs in 2 months. I went back to the doctors and he said it wasn't sinusitis anymore and probably allergies, but sent me for bloodwork anways.  I started taking Zyrtec right away and felt a lot better. The doctor's office called to say all my tests were negative, but I went and got a copy today.

They show:

1) Positive for a previous epstien-barr infection (mono). No idea how long ago it occured, but it's not a current infection.

2) My TSH has climbed again to 3.19 (range of 0.45-4.5, I was 2ish in March). My FT4 is still good (1.04 in range of 0.82-1.77). Didn't check FT3. My primary care won't treat since TSH is in range. But since it's climbing again (I have been off treatment for 3 years now), I'm getting concerned. My symptoms aren't bad, and the tiredness has gotten better with the allergy meds. But my mom just got diagnosed as mildy hypo 2 months ago and I think I am heading back in that direction. I am not scheduled to get more bloodwork and meet with my endo until December, so for now I'm going to wait and see. If I feel worse again I'll get the bloodwork done sooner.

Otherwise things are good.  My SIL and best friend both got engaged in early July. DH and I went to Maine for a friend's wedding/ Acadia National Park. And last week we went to Yellowstone with DH's family and it was incredible. So it's back to the grind- no more vacations until xmas!

Cheryl- glad you are feeling well. I need to take a weekend and get some major cleaning done!

Kate- glad your son is OK! hopefully your blood test shows a drop back down.

Happyfeet- Glad your mileage is building again. 8 miles is nothing to sneeze at!

HappyFeat

Happyfeet- Glad your mileage is building again. 8 miles is nothing to sneeze at!

Just so you know - Happyfeet is a guy on RA. I'm HappyFeat because it makes me happy to have been running for such a very long time. I'm proud of the accomplishment, but I don't think I've ever had a choice in the matter - being the compulsive runner that I am. Last Saturday, I extended my LR to 10 miles which went as well as the previous week's 8-miler. I signed up for the Black Diamond HM in Enumclaw, WA on Sept. 26. That's only about 3 hours drive from me and is set in a State Park. I'm really excited about it. Runnergabe has done it and says it's very scenic, along country roads and by farms. It is a small HM because the main focus of the weekend is a couple triathlons and duathalons. I like small and scenic, so it's perfect. Like you said, Kate, it will give me a focus for my runs and take my mind off my disappearing Pace Bunny.

Just so you know - Happyfeet is a guy on RA. I'm HappyFeat

ahh.. that makes sense. I noticed he was a guy and not you, but I forgot about the spelling!  Glad things are going well- that HM sounds fabulous!

Shaunna, sorry to hear you've been so sick - hopefully your thyroid levels will get better once you're rid of that sinus infection.

I had an episode of sudden onset severe back pain - worst pain of my life. Had an MRI yesterday - I have a herniated disk. So, it's back to the PT on Monday, and I have no idea how long this recovery is going to take, but I have a feeling I can kiss anymore running good-bye for 2010....heaving a really big sigh here.

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Ohhhhh (((Cheryl)))  Huge Hugs for you girl. So so sorry to hear about your misfortune!  Is this connected to your recent injury?

yes, I still don't know what the original injury was, this was the first back pain I've had. Things just kept getting worse and worse, eventually I was also having problems with my R hip. I think it's likely that it was my back all along - it was just really hard to pinpoint.

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group