Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Hi (Read 157 times)

rlwiggins227

Hi all.  I just discovered this forum in a search for hypothyroidism and running.

I'm a 36yo female, wife and full time working mom of 2.   I have been running for almost 6 years and am in training for my 2nd half in October, typically run 20-25mpw. 

I found out this week that I am hypothyroid.  My TSH was 13.02 at my last testing.  Once I heard this, I started googling, and of course, find that I have alot of the symptoms but just assumed they were normal, full time working mom things.  Joking 

Anyway, I started the my meds this morning,  Levothyroxine 25mcg per day.  

I guess my main ?'s are... will this affect my running?  With running and watching my food intake, what are the chances I'll start gaining weight?  Or losing weight?  I'm really lost and confused w/ all of this and am just worried that things are now going to change for the worse when I've been doing so well w/ my running.  I guess I'm just scared and needing some helpful words. 

Thanks everyone.  Undecided

HappyFeat

Welcome to the group, RL. Lots of great info if you read through the threads. I only have a sec right now as I'm off to work, but the quick answer to your question is that correcting your hypothyroid state will only help your running. Don't be scared about that, ok? I'm surprised your starting dose is so low, considering your TSH reading. When mine was around 14, I was put on 250 mcg; maybe that's what you meant?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

rlwiggins227

Thanks for the reply!!

No, it's 25mcg, I'm sure of that.   They said they wanted to start me slow and check it in 6 weeks again.

Hi and welcome! It's a good idea to start slow with the thyroid replacement, especially with a goal race coming up. If you were going to gain weight from being hypothyroid, you would have done so already. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Happy Feat - are you sure you meant that you were put on 250 mcg? That is an extremely high dose and it's not that common that you find people on maintenance doses that high - usually people who are genetically resistant to thyroid hormone. Do you know what your FT4 was at that time?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Yes I've kept a log to track the changes over the years.

The FT4 at that time was .78 and initially he bumped me from 125 to 200 and then up to 250. Six months later, my FT4 was 1.39 and TSH .03 and the dose got lowered to 175. Three months later lowered to150. One year later lowered to 125 where I stayed for about six years AND which is where I had been before that big drop to TSH of 14 and the bump up to 250. Crazy.

Wow, that is really crazy. Just goes to show how much medical science doesn't know about how our thyroids work. On the other hand, it really makes you appreciate how complex our bodies are, it's a miracle that most times things flow together smoothly.

Do you have Hashi's thyroiditis?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

No. I think my thyroid fluctuations are related to female hormone fluctuations.

Supposedly I'm on the right dose now...but...I'm hot when normally I'd be cold and I can't fall asleep to save my life!

I've decided this week, I'm going on a self-directed dose adjustmentWink (downward) just to see what happens. My next test is in February; I can always go back up 6 weeks prior to see where it registers then - or not.