Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Hyperthyroid - not sure why - marathon next week- is it safe to race? (Read 14 times)

SHendrickson

Hi,

I have asked my current doctors this question and received less than helpful responses. I am an RN and 26 yr. old female with current thyroid labs that show overactive thyroid. High T4 free and undetectable TSH - 0.01. I am getting ready to run a marathon in my city this next weekend, which is also my birthday. Turning 27 while running 26.2. My endo would like me to do a 24 hr. radioactive iodine uptake test and scan now, yet I have protested and will not do until after the marathon. Scared about how my body may react to the test and possible side effects; plus I do not feel it is necessary since my labs clearly show hyperthyroidism. My doctors are not the greatest and rely heavily on tests and labs instead of my symptoms and thoughts. So I am wondering is it safe to race 26.2 miles in this health state? My marathon PR is 3:17:05, so I would be pushing a solid pace. I also wonder what this radioactive iodine uptake test is like and would appreciate any helpful info or tips. I love running, yet lately I feel like a mess. My mind feels like it is on speed, body is exhausted most of the time, fine hand tremor, not sleeping well, and serious sweating. I am mostly concerned because lately I have been having chest palpitations and pain constantly. I had low HR to begin with (43), so it has not become alarmingly high yet but is on the rise (now 52 at times). Please help! Thank you!

I am new to the group and excited to hear a group is in place!

Hi and welcome! It is a scary thing to have your thyroid out of whack this way. Now for my disclaimer...The internet is a wonderful resource, but it doesn't have full access to your history and your unique situation. That being said, I think you already know the answer to your question - if you are having palpitations and chest pain during normal activities, or right after you finish a run, not sleeping and generally exhausted -  it's not the time to be running a marathon. If your heart muscle is already under duress from hyperthyroidism, you don't want to risk any kind of permanent damage.

If you are not happy with your docs, consider getting a second opinion. I've hound it helpful to keep a record of  lab work, as well as tracking changes in RHR, B/P and weight.  Do you have Family Practice or GYN that you trust and could discuss your concerns or possible referrals for a second opinion?

What other thyroid labs have you had other than TSH and FT4? I'm hoping you had a full thyroid panel after those first 2 tests came back abnormal as well as an US of your thyroid?  Wishing you all the best and please feel free to ask any questions and keep us informed of how things are going for you.

Cheryl

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group