Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Winter 2014 (Read 10 times)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Checking in with you all.  I finally got referred from the small town PA to an endocrinologist in a sightly bigger city.  I had high hopes that she would be really interested in getting to the bottom of my symptoms, but really, she just said she wanted to keep the medication exactly the same and see whats happening in 4 months. There was no big dialogue about what was going on.  I probably should have pushed it more.

I guess things aren't all dire-wolfy here.  I have ongoing tingling and numbness in hands and legs (to the point where my hand tingling wakes me up in the middle of the night for a couple of hours).  My ears ring constantly.  I feel mentally slow.  And by the end of the day, I am pretty much lethargically melted onto the couch.  Oh, yea, at the time on the month, I have monster cramps.  Just a million little ways my body seems out of sorts.

MY TSH is .03, which seems to indicate hyper, but my symptoms seem mostly hypo.

Running is good.  Really, its the highlight of my day. I do it first thing in the morning, when I feel most energized.

How is everyone else?  Hope things are going well.  Stay bundled up!  Kate

HappyFeat

I just have a sec..will write more later...BUT wondered if you've had your Vit. B12 tested?

B12 deficiency can cause peripheral neuropathy.

How maddening to have a new doc NOT be proactive!!! I'd like to punch her for you. Okay, I've got to go. back later!

Okay - DAYS later - such is my life!

My running is definitely the highlight of my day too.

I'm keeping it all very EZ pace for the most part since faster paces are what set me back leading up to the October marathon. In the past week, I threw in some relatively faster bits though and survived. With the iron supplements, my situation is turning around. My head has been sprouting new hairs for the past couple months and my energy level is better.  All my labs get re-tested in February, so I won't really know where I'm at til then.

Beyond that, DH has started running again so that we can do a 3-day trail running vacation together in May (in Oregon).  The best part about this is now when he's off on a weekend day, I have a trail running buddy!  So far, we've gone out 3 times for about 90-minute runs. Today was about 1:45.  He's using a HR monitor watch (TomTom) and I'm happy to find that his desired "range" matches my EZ trail running pace; so we run along quite comfortably (well, I do anyway).

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I really thought I replied to this but I can see now that I did not?! Weird.

I was going to comment that i often have hyper symptoms at the same time as hypo symptoms. I'm doing pretty good right now but the last time I tried my current dose (112 mcg) I had both. For me it's lack of good sleep and the shakes. I'm ALWAYS hot...but that doesn't seem to be affected by any dosage of meds, I'm just always hot.

As I said, I'm feeling really good right now but I am also dealing with the ear ringing. I have also had vertigo 4 times now...which I have never had in my life. I was up from a dream where I feel dizzy but it's real and I'm having an episode of vertigo. It's so weird.

Glad (as always) to see updates. HappyFeat - I hear you met up with Michelle this last weekend. Isn't she great?!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

HappyFeat

My ears ring constantly too!! That's been going on for around 10 years. Wish I had a solution for it.

Yes, I met Michelle and Ashley on Friday evening for dinner. It was a very enjoyable visit. Hopefully we will head over her way to go snowshoeing at Mt. Rainier in the coming months.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

My ears ring constantly too!! That's been going on for around 10 years. Wish I had a solution for it.

Yes, I met Michelle and Ashley on Friday evening for dinner. It was a very enjoyable visit. Hopefully we will head over her way to go snowshoeing at Mt. Rainier in the coming months.

Gah - I hate the ear ringing!

I'm glad you had a nice visit. And I hope you guys are able to meet up for Rainier! I wish I lived closer!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!