Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Lab Work (Read 764 times)

I think the problem with the cold is the duration. I'm running in temps of high teens to mid-twenties - always at least 5 mph wind. Once I hit 2 hours, I start getting really chilled, and once that happens, it just feels like my muscles shut down. I'm generally soaked at that point. Last outdoor run I dropped 3.5 lbs, and that's pretty significant given my starting weight. I find it really difficult to hydrate properly. When I've run in the winter before, I generally stay out 45 min to an hour, and I don't go out if it's sub-zero. I'm doing my last long run on an indoor track - it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. MTA: that sounds awful about your Raynaud's symptoms Sad , you are one tough cookie.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Where are you running your marathon? Somewhere warmer??

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Should be in the mid 40's - hope I don't get heat stroke Tongue Hydration won't be a problem, I understand there is a surplus of aide stops along the way. I'll be running with a very experienced marathoner, and I'm sure she'll keep me in line as far as taking in fluids and gels. Hoping that the 2 week taper will allow my T3 levels to rise a bit. I plan on having another screening done 6 weeks after the marathon - it will be an interesting experiment to compare values. I've planned all along to pretty much take December off from running to give my bones a chance to catch up a little.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Should be in the mid 40's - hope I don't get heat stroke Tongue really tickled me! Compared to your average temps, you'll be in heaven! It's been 45-ish the last couple nights here and one night I was down to a tank top because I was so warm. ( I probably overdressed to begin with.) That's terrific that you'll have a marathon running buddy. I bet you are really looking forward to the big day. What is the name of the run? I'm glad you've allowed for a recovery period afterward.That's one reason I've never been interested in doing a marathon - because it seems so hard on everyone's bodies that they have to heal up afterward. I admit that I've taken more days off this year than any other, but prior to this, I haven't wanted to give up a single day of running. I'm happy with the HM distance because I can continue with my usual running routine afterward. PS. I don't think I did this right. My reply ended up in the box with your quote. Not sure how to fix it.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon - Ha - the name is as long as the race Tongue I'm really looking forward to meeting up with my friend again! I was going to take December as a down month anyways. I have had 4 stress fractures in my R leg, the last one was femoral and we think triggered by a bad fall I took on the ice - no, not running - shopping Roll eyes I've never taken a spill while running - go figure. Anyways, my ultimate goal was to be injury free for 1 year - a goal I have been chasing for 2.5 years...November 15th will be my one year injury free day Big grin I'll still be doing plenty of exercise in December, I'll just be doing low impact stuff, and restrict running to maybe 3 miles on alternate days. you know, as soon as I can actually run again... Big grin I liked the HM, but my favorite distance so far is a 10K, I think I could do well at that distance, and I would still get my long runs into the 15 mile range to train for it..... and I've yet to run a 5K. Next year, I want to focus on those distances, I might do another half, but if I do another marathon, I want a solid year of base behind me, so I can actually try to race it. This is social and to see what the distance feels like - but the competitive side of me still wants to make it a best effort.

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group