Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

How's everyone doing? (Read 524 times)

Had a blood panel the other day and got good news--things are now in the normal range, although the anemia is still somewhat persistant as my red blood cell count in the very low area of normal. I am now taking 137 mg of a generic Synthroid as my maintanence amount daily. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with a generic brand? This is all so new to me. Engery levels are still high and I have been running like crazy--for me anyway--since a few months ago I was not running at all. Hope everyone else is taking care of themselves. Kate
    Hi Kate! That's great news! As far as generic or brand of Synthroid - if it's working for you - stick with it. The most important thing is to not switch back and forth between the two- if your pharmacy tries to tell you different - talk to your doc before making a change. I've not been doing as well the last few weeks, but not really convinced it has anything to do with my thyroid. I've lost a little weight and have been bumping up my mileage, and the combination seems to be screwing up my metabolism. Has anyone else experienced a transition when they have increased training for a particular event? Still, it's an easy thing to eliminate, so I had my blood drawn Monday, and am hoping to have the results back by the end of the week. I'm hoping for similar results which will go a long way to reassuring me that I truly am "stable" on my current dose. How are the rest of you?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Kate, I agree with Cheryl. If it's working stick with it. I was on Levoxyl for years with good results. Cheryl, I think marathon training and cutting calories is enough to make anyone feel off so I wouldn't worry too much. Neverless I hope your results are good this week! I'm still feeling alright. I had follow-up bloodwork done on my low WBC and it came back fine so I guess my body was just fighting something that day. I have put on some weight but I don't think it's the thyroid's fault, more likely all the bad food I have been eating in Chile. Take care, Shaunna
        Thanks, Shaunna - I think you are right. Sometimes I forget that I'm not really Super Woman Big grin Hey, how was Chile? I don't want to hear cold Tongue How was the food different?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Cheryl: Good luck with the marathon training. I hope things go well with your blood work and let us know.
            Hey, how was Chile? I don't want to hear cold Tongue How was the food different?
            I'm still here! I've been here 1 week with 4 more to go. The food is.... bad. Lots of fish but everything is either fried or at best sauteed in oil. Lots of meat but I'm not a big meat eater normally and when I can't tell what's in most of the food it turns me away from ordering a big plate of meat. Not too many places even carry salads and when I did have one I got pretty sick, maybe because the veggies were washed with water? The grocery stores don't carry a big selection either, lots of cookies and snacks but not much healthy stuff. I finally tracked down some bread, PB&J so I can make sandwiches in my room. I'm trying to only eat one meal a day out and keep running but it's wrecking a havoc on my weight loss goals. The little city we are in doesn't have many American visitors so it's tough to get English anywhere. My Spanish is basic so it's tough to even guess what to order most days! If I ate seafood other than fish I'd be better off, but I just don't like it Tongue Have fun at the Monkey!
              What????? You don't like seafood!!!!!!!! That is rough to maintain a decent diet, especially as long as you are going to be there. Hey, I'm glad you have internet to keep track of what is going on over here! Can't wait to see pictures and stuff! and thanks Smile

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Hello again. I'm been AWOL for awhile, but I'm finally feeling good, have resumed my running log,and am once again eager and able to enjoy my running...hurray! I'm running 4 miles on a pretty consistent basis. My goal right now is 4 miles 5 days per week. I'm due for another thyroid check in February, but am doing alright at 112 mcg Synthroid. The anxiety that came with the bout of hyperthyroid has gone - whew! , but then I had some issues with HRT which caused me to have heart palpitations which was very disturbing. Now other than a pinched nerve in my low back, everything has calmed down now and I'm feeling good and have even lost the weight I gained. For a while there I was up about 5 from not running - eek! Another troubling factor has been that my husband seems to have lost interest in running. He'll go out with me, but whenever I suggest increasing our distance, he balks. Sometimes it's like dragging a lead weight behind me. Anyway, I find I often shorten my run to accommodate him so at least he'll get SOME exercise. That's how we end up with 2 and 3-milers. But for the most part, we're up to 4 miles now, so that's good. My goal would be 5 or 6 because that's what we used to run on the weeknights and I really enjoy that length, and then to add back in a weekend long run. So there's my update.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi, Amy! Glad to see you checking in with good news! I"m so happy that things are going your way once again. Great job on getting your DH out there exercising Big grin

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Amy, Thanks for the update. Doesn't it feel great to have energy? I find myself smiling for no reason at all. I have a husband is definitely not a runner, so I am impressed you two are out there together. Kate
                    HappyFeat

Yes it does feel great! Today marks the NINTH day in a row of running, all 4M except for one 2M. I know it's crazy to double your weekly mileage like that, but my legs feel perfectly fine - and I've done this kind of come-back before without injury. I'm really thrilled about it, especially because I know I could be derailed by hormonal changes or a back flare-up any day. So I'm really happy today.

Doing the happy dance for ya!!!!!! WTG and congrats with your running progress Smile

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Cheryl: Have you done the marathon yet? Please let us know how it went!
                            Cheryl: Have you done the marathon yet? Please let us know how it went!
                            I did it! Thanks for asking Smile race report warning, it's long - hey it was a long race Big grin

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

How exciting to achieve your goal!! Congratulations on finishing and having FUN doing it! It's simply HUGE! Way to go!