Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

new - hello & Q's re hypERthyroid and upcoming race (Read 18 times)

CSP

Wow. Did not expect to find a group re thyroid and running Smile

Hi everyone. I am new to thyroid problems and to running.

Had bout of thyroiditis last year. After the rollercoaster calmed down a bit (both severely elevated and depressed thyroid levels--they changed from one extreme to the other almost weekly for a few months) my doc suppressed thyroid function w/ supplementation). I was started at 1.25's and tapered until last month when I stopped completely.

About 1 week following the day I stopped the meds, started having fairly severe hot flashes and slightly elevated bp.

Now (about 2 weeks out) continued hot flashes, insomnia (somewhat related to hot flashes).  But I ran 9 miles Sunday and my  heart rate was ok (zone 5 the whole time according to my heart rate monitor, but I think my hr monitor has miscalculated my max hr.) I could have held reasonably comfortable conversation for most of the run.

I do have an appointment w/ endo at their 1st opening--they suggested it after I called w/ symptoms.

And , I have 1 more long run prior to the appointment. (10 mi Sunday).

Should I be concerned about running?

Any chance they'll recommend I cancel my race in 2 weeks? (My first ever half marathon)

Will my thyroid swing back to normal? (I do know there's no way to answer but maybe someone here has gone thru something similar?)

Welcome, CSP. Sorry to hear you have thyroid problems and congrats on discovering the joys of running!

It's a little difficult to answer your questions, and I have a couple for you.

Are you female? If you are, how close to 40 are you and have you had menopausal/premenopausal symptoms before? Did you have antibody levels done when you were having thyroiditis?

As far as running goes, if you feel you can hold a reasonable conversation while running, there shouldn't be any reason for you not to run at that pace. I don't know what your HR zones on your monitor means, but has there been an increase in your running heart rate? If you haven't felt the need to change your training because of symptoms, then I wouldn't think it would be a problem for your half but you should have a better idea about that after you do your 10 mile run. Only you can make the call as to whether or not you are having hyper symptoms that are causing a change in your normal running paces.

Thyroids are mysterious organs and you are right, it's highly unlikely that anyone can tell you if it will swing back normal or not.

It's a good idea to make a list of your top questions to ask the endo, and I would also suggest starting a file and keeping track of your thyroid labs. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you. Follow up info helps all of us!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group