Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Welcome and please say Hi (Read 927 times)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Welcome Anna.  And it will continue to get better as your body adapts to the medication.  Keep running.

Welcome, Anna -so glad to hear you are finally getting the treatment you need! You are a real inspiration for persevering all those years.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Livosh

Hi all.  I just found out today that I may be hyperthyroid (elevated T4 and low TSH)  I'm  kind of freaking out because at 49, I thought the symptoms I was feeling were because of perimenopause (the hot flashes and sweating), and the weight loss(25lbs in 6 months) was from all the training and exercising I've been doing  I started running regularly about 2 years ago.  I started training with a local running club for a 10 K that's supposed to be in 2 weeks, and I've been working on swimming for a possible triathlon next spring.  I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in 2 weeks ( after the race) so I won't know for a few weeks what the whoe situation is.  I'm not even sure yet whether I can continue to run as my doc's office is closed.   I've really enjoyed training and getting in shape and I don't want to lose althe gains I've made.  I'm hoping that someone has been in the same situation and can calm me down, and give me hope that my racing days are not over!

Thanks for the support

Sandy

HappyFeat

Sandy - of course you can continue running and racing - more power to ya!

Let us know what the endo says after your appt and Good Luck in your upcoming race!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

artzyfartzy68

Hi, I'm Jacki!

I started running a year or so ago to lose weight (ha!) and I was doing really well, but since Sept began to experience a lot of terrible symptoms and had started gaining weight, altho I'm up to nearly 20 miles per week. I lost 3 minutes per mile speed since Dec...I can barely run and it's so frustrating! In addition to that, I've been doing yoga for YEARS, even teaching for a bit, and doing weight training 3x per week. Despite all of that, I look like I don't even work out....I'm gaining big lumpy fat on my thighs, belly, and the inside of my arms and I have NO muscle tone.

Anyway, I have an appt w/ an endocrinologist on Wed and I'm pretty excited to get this mess straightened out. It's horrible! I'm half way thru a training program for a half-marathon, and have a 10K race this Sat (which I'm sure will be a bloodbath). I just want to feel "normal" again.

I'm tired of being so tired!

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi Jacki.  Please don't get discouraged.  It takes several weeks before you will feel energized even after you start medication.  Let us know what you find out.  You are taking steps in the right direction and it will only get better!  This is the perfect place to ask questions or even vent.  Looking forward to getting to know you.    Kate

Hi,

I've been lurking amongst this forum for a while feeling a bit creepy because I'm not really suffering any symptoms - and because I'm a guy and this Thyroid thing seems mostly to effect women.

Anyway... I discovered I was borderline hypothyroid quite a few years ago due to a very careful doctor and since then my Dr has my TSH and FT4 tested every 6 - 12 months or so. I have slightly high TSH (5.5), normal FT4 (16), and presence of thyroid antibodies. I don't think it is effecting me yet, but over the years my TSH has slowly increased and I expect that if I am lucky enough to live long enough then one day thyroid autoimmune failure will probably "get" me. 

I'm keeping an eye on the blood results, energy levels, and the bathroom scales but hope that its quite a few years before I have to go through finding out what taking the medication is really like. The downside at the moment is that every time I get a bit tired my hypochondriac thoughts start to worry "is this it". Finding this group has helped keep those thoughts in check because although there may be some bumps along the way this forum shows me that there is still plenty of scope to keep well and keep running even with thyroid problems.

Running - cheaper than therapy

HappyFeat

Hey Ian - happy to hear from you and glad you can benefit from what you read here.

I'm really glad you're not feeling any symptoms. Lurk all you want...more information is better!

I have to say that I don't know why people are concerned about taking thyroid hormone if they need it. 

It can be a frustrating process to get the dosage right, but when it is - you just feel Normal and Not Tired all the time, etc.

I went for 20 years on Synthroid feeling Normal.

Unfortunately, once I started having female hormonal changes, my TSH also started fluctuating and I haven't yet got it really stabilized.  You, however, won't have that issueClown

Hi Everyone!

Thanks to HappyFeat for pointing me to this Forum. 

I've been watching my thyroid closely for 2-3 years here, as my primary symptom has been a steadily declining resting HR.  Two years ago, my THS tested at 3.5, but the remainder of the tests were still normal.  My family Dr. and I had a discussion at the time regarding the controversy over the reference range and we agreed to keep an eye on things.

Fast forward to this July....... my resting HR has continued to decline, and is now in the low 40's, with the occasional dip to 38.  I'm NOT in that good a shape! I'm 55 and still experiencing residual hot flashes although menopause was official 2 years ago.  I complain to my Dr. about losing hair and let's make sure we re-do TSH, right?  Comes back 4.95.... not flagged by the lab, as they're on a 0.5 to 5.0 reference.  Thankfully, I get copies of my labs and requested a followup. Other symptoms are seeming to fit the pattern ....

• mild depression - hereditary, but the running wasn't suppressing it as well anymore
                    • fatigue - even though running volume was low, on injury comeback
                    • no sproink on the runs for months now. 
                    • increasing constipation

Results:  Anti-TPO is 269 and T3 is just under the range.

Next steps:  ultrasound and 25 mcg Synthroid, f/u in 2 months

Glad to have found this place.... looks like I have a lot of really good company!  And a LOT of reading to do.

Am really looking forward to feeling better.

...Nancy

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

HappyFeat

Hi Heme! This group has been very quiet for awhile now, but there is good reference material to be found in the threads.

Plus - you can view my running log this wayBig grin

Oh roo roooo!

Hello--I just bumbled across this section of the forum.  I was diagnosed hypothyroid about 7 years ago and while my first 4 years on Synthroid seemed to go pretty well, once I started running I seemed to start having issues again w/dose increases needed about every year or so, all the while w/me still feeling tired and slowly but steadily gaining weight.  In the past year, I've come across several things I think may help and am gradually putting them into action to see what happens. 

This looked like a good place to come just to read past posts, if nothing else.  Greetings to whoever else is here!

Beth

Hi Beth and welcome! Please share what you've found about helping your situation. It's helpful to compare notes with what works to get/stay optimized.  

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Hi Beth!

and Chenille!

There's a lot of good resource material in the threads of this group, Beth.

How long have you been running? I'm impressed by the mileage you've accomplished despite having symptoms of low thyroid. You're amazing, girl!

Hey!  I've browsed this group's forum for about a month and really appreciate the information and sense of encouragement shared here.  Now I'm de-lurking to ask for your help in understanding this world of thyroid health (or lack thereof : )

I'm 47, a runner for over 15 years with more consistent training and longer distances over the past 7 years.  I'm pretty healthy other than some seasonal allergies and nagging IT band stuff. In the past month, I've been diagnosed as having hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and prescribed synthroid.

I was really surprised by this diagnosis and resisted it.  I'd just finished a training program in which my weekly mileage went higher than before (around 30 ish miles per week) and run my best half marathon ever (2:05) and actually felt better after that race than after some training runs.  I don't struggle with my weight but Ben & Jerry's does show up around my middle if I have it several times a week : )  I guess I'd say I was a bit tired and I am usually the coldest person in a room but I've never been high-energy and I've always been a bit cold (I also tolerate heat better than most).

At my annual physical last year, my TSH came back a little high (4.92) so my dr. suggested retesting in 3 months or so and the retest came back in the normal range (can't find that result).  This year my TSH was 10.02 so she gave me the diagnosis and a prescription for synthroid.  I asked for another blood test, with more detail and she obliged but was convinced that I'd end up on synthroid sooner rather than later.  I've got an appointment with an edocrinologist in February (first available).

The 2nd blood test this year came back close to normal, the T4 and T3 and antibody results are below.  I asked for that stuff but am still figuring out what it means.

While waiting for the results, I started taking synthroid last week.  The more I thought about it, the more I thought "maybe my fatigue is related to my thyroid" and wouldn't it be nice to have a little more energy.  The doctor's note with the results indicated that I could hold off on taking synthroid for a while and follow up with the endocrinologist in a few months.  What the what??!!

November 2011 TSH 4.92

October 2012 TSH 10.02

November 2012 TSH 5.98

T4 free non dialysis .8 (.8-1.8)

T3 Total 95 (76-81)

Thyroglobulin AB <20 IU/ml (less than 20)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/ideas y'all have to share.  I'm a bit stumped by this.  Just as I was getting used to the idea of having hypothyroidism and taking synthroid, this new set of results seems to throw a curveball.

Thank you!!

Patty

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Hi Patty, the thyroid stuff can be confusing. Right now, there is plenty that current science does not know about the variability of just how thyroid hormone functions in the individual.

So reading through your note what I'm getting is that you have never been high-energy and always been on the cold side. When you say you've been a bit tired lately, does that represent a real change not related to changes in your sleep/diet/stress levels?

Disclaimer - I am no expert!!! What I see from your labs, is that your thyroid seems to be sluggish - your pituitary is acting appropriately to increase the stimulation to your thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone = elevated TSH levels. That works for awhile = elevated TSH levels with FT3 and FT4 levels in the normal range and no symptoms of hypothroidism, but at some point, the thyroid (for what ever reason) just can't keep up with the demand and then the Ft4 and FT3 levels start to fall and symptoms start appearing. That cycle of normal alternating with lows can go on for some time.

Not having the FT4 and FT3 levels to go with your earlier high TSH makes it really difficult to say what is going on with you. Your antibodies are normal so it doesn't seem to be an episode of hashi's right now. Many women get hit with hypothyroidism during peri/meno years with or without having Hashi's.

Your FT4 levels are really low, BUT what is normal for you? Without knowing that you need to really focus on if you are having symptoms or not. It would be interesting to see your FT3 - if your FT4 levels are low, it could be because you are using more of it to convert to T3 - as long as your FT3 levels are adequate to meet your needs, you aren't going to be symptomatic.  Total T3 is not a good indicator and I am not familiar with the normal range that your lab is using. These normal lab values are ranged on a bell curve which means the majority of people are "normal" or at their individual "optimum" functioning levels  when they are around the middle of the range. As you get closer to either end of the normal range, there are fewer and fewer people who are at their optimal levels at those numbers. What science does know is that regardless of what your optimal numbers are, individuals function best within a very narrow range of their optimal number, and that's a big part of the problem with treating thyroid if you have a doc who believes that getting you anywhere in the normal range is OK. Reminder - I'm just speculating about what your labs could mean.

Are you taking synthroid now and if yes, how much?

If I were you, I would request a repeat TSH, FT3, FT4, (also a total T3 and Total T4 if I could get my doc to order it) so I could take a fresh set of lab results to the endo appointment in Feb. There may be other tests the endo would want to see that might mean an extra needle stick for you if you take labs with you to your appointment.

I know it's not much help, but you really need to decide if and how severe your symptoms are. Is it a bad thing for your thyroid to be working harder if the end result is that you are still able to make enough hormone to meet your needs? Don't know, but a good question for the Endo. Do you know what your normal resting heart rate is? Start monitoring it just to see if it's changed significantly or not.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group