Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

PoeDogRuns - WTG!!!!! (Read 257 times)

Kate - great job on your half!!!! Congrats to you - race report, please?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Thanks Cheryl: I am still really digesting the whole experience. I can close my eyes and picture parts of the race in my mind. It was really, really neat, unlike anything I've experienced in life (and I have given birth to twins for goodness sakes!). The community support was unbelievable. Everywhere I looked at any point during the race, I saw enthusiastic volunteers cheering people on. In fact, my family suprised me by showing up at about miile 6.5, complete with my training partner, Brandibuck, our dog, who woofed when I ran up for hugs. There was more than 4000 people in the half. I train with my dog in the dark, so it was amazing to be arm in arm with all these runners. I found my pace group, so that gave me confidence and in fact, about 2 miles into the race, the pace runner was behind me. John told me I was closer to the 9:44 pace group, the faster group, then the 10:18 pace group I started with. I was a little lost around mile 8.5, and my stomache seized up. I usually don't drink any fluids during my runs, and I took about 3 swallows of gatorade, strong, sweet gatorade probably made from a mix. I don't know if that was what the stomache problems or if it was nerves or whatever--but it felt like I was shot in the stomache. I'd like to figure out what triggered it, so I can avoid that pain next time When I hit 11 miles, I had my confidence back, though and I knew I could finish. It was actually a little hard running into Memorial Stadium because there is kind of a steep decline and I had wobbly legs, trying to sprint, but when I hit the football field it was cool. I pictured our new Bears QB Jay Cutler standing at the finish line, with his helmut in his hand, looking scruffy and cute, so hey, I finished really strong. My gun time was actually 2:15:11, which bummed me out because I was shooting for 2:15. But I checked my chip time: 2:11:29. So all was good, no Great!
        awesome Kate! great race!!
          That was so nice having your training partner meet you! Smile It's the best to have a great first race experience - do you have plans for other races?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group