Trailer Trash

Quad trouble - advice? (Read 48 times)

I ran easy last night, my first run after this weekend's marathon (so I had 2 full recovery days after the race). I was going nice and slow thanks to my blister on my right big toe that opened up, but I think I was overcompensating on my left side. Then I played volleyball and was squatting the whole time.  In our first game, I felt a twinge in my left thigh. It wasn't too bad while playing, but then got worse later on. This morning it hurts a good bit,  walking downstairs especially. It's right in the center of my thigh between my hips and knee, but off to the outer edge of the leg a litte bit.

All my research online (and in the regular forums here) tells me it may be a Grade 1 quad strain.  I'm planning on resting, foam rolling, and icing tonight, and for the next couple days if needed.  I've never had any quad problems before this. Anyone here have quad issues/advice?

Edited to Add:  I have my goal race (50k) on May 26.

Brian Runner

"resting, foam rolling, and icing"

That should do the trick.

Ultra Cowboy

I think you are on the right track.  I'd imagine as you loosen up through the day it should feel better.  Could be some referred IT pain as well.  be sure to massage the hip area and see if that takes out some of the OW  for ya...

You are young...You will heal.

WYBMADIITY

Save

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You are young...You will heal.

Could you tell that to my groin, please?

T&C, take some time to rest now, opposed to making it worse and then having to take real time off.  You're doing all the right things right now.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Hey trails n' cocktails... you just ran a trail marathon. It could just be a case of "marathon quads". Rest up some maybe?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Volleyball is not on list that goes with rest.

Rest, Ice, Massage (foam roller) and Avoid Stretching for a few days (unless it's after an easy run).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Ultra Cowboy

Could you tell that to my groin, please? 

T&C, take some time to rest now, opposed to making it worse and then having to take real time off.  You're doing all the right things right now.

Mandy, I didn't know that we knew each other that well!  ;-D   I'll lighten up on the eye contact...

I'm sorry if I came off all "Rub some dirt on it." .  I was referring to the mental dread of "what if I am injured?" Low key active recovery sounds like it won't hurt you.  After all you played volleyball, after a recovery run.  You must feel pretty good overall..

WYBMADIITY

Save

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I usually don't do much with muscle injuries, just massage them gently with my hands for a minute or so several times a day, apply some heat (hot water bottle or a hot pack), perhaps use some capsacin ointment (makes the spot hot). I do my normal runs, but not too hard. That's old school.

New school is what you are doing, ice, roll, rest.

I think either way works, so doing what feels best to you is probably best for you. The confidence of "knowing you are treating it right" probably makes it heal a bit faster. Wink

Run for fun.

Hey trails n' cocktails... you just ran a trail marathon. It could just be a case of "marathon quads". Rest up some maybe?

It's sharper than normal post-race quad pain (and only one side.) I know the race does have a lot to do with it though...plus favoring my left side on my run on Tuesday (due to blister on right foot) and then tweaking it during volleyball. I took off today and will be resting tomorrow as well.

Usually our volleyball games are not that intense....but last night was semi-finals so obviously I went all out Roll eyes

Thanks for the tips, y'all.

runfastandie

I have the same thing.  I don't have stairs in my world but when i sit on the toilet it hurts every.single.time.  It truly sucks. PT says 16 weeks. I go in again tomorrow and am hoping to get some stim on there.   I'll let you know if she has any miraculous trick other than ice and roll.

Andie