Trailer Trash

Glacail Trail 50 Mile report (Read 48 times)

TripleBock

Cross posted

posted: 10/13/2013 at 1:16 PM    

I found out I cannot run a race for fun - I ran Glacial 50M hard.  I do not think I could have run much faster in my current fitness

From step #1 both knees felt like knives stabbing them ~ Inside and out.  Very small steps walking uphill made it bearable.  Down hills were slow with small steps also.  Some where .between mile 15-17 I fell a few times.  I also bombed a downhill enduring the searing pain.  Between the falling and the 1 bombing the knees started to loosen up.

Last 13.3 miles ~ from Butler Lake aide station to finish I was miserable - Eating a gel would leave me out of breath.  I worked as hard as possible running all the downs and flats and some of the little uphills.

I finished 15/70 ish

4:49 / 4:43 ~ 9:32

I ran my WS100 qualifier, but failed to run a pace that left me feeling good.  I am wrecked ~ But that is fine.

I stayed until the time cutoff (12 hours) to hang out with friends.

My aerobic capacity was still decent, but my legs are weak

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

BTW

Weather was amazing low 40s at the start ... Maybe 60 for a high

Michael Borst 20 YO from Slinger (Go's to UW-Lacrosse) ... Smashed the 50 mile CR my 31 minutes, running a 6:40.  The race is 25+ years old and 6:40 is a great time.

His dad took 4th in the 50k

The 50 miler was won by sea legs girl

http://sealegsgirl.blogspot.com/

Her husband won the 50k in 3:56 .. CR is 3:47

I am not sure of the female winner of the 50k

Birdwell

I found out I cannot run a race for fun 

This is my favorite line. Nice work!

TripleBock

Thanks

Maybe I am weird, but I think training is fun, but racing has always been about trying to maximize perfrormance for current fitness ~ Basically focus, strategy, nutrition and pain management.  Although I did enjoy mile 16-28.  This has been for any distance (5k - 100+) or timed race.

I think there are different types of runners:  1)  People that run for the competition with other people (Usually elite) 2)  People that run for personal Records (PR chasers) 3)  People that run to see how hard they can push themselves on that day and 4)  People that run for the experience (To enjoy the experience)

I am sure there are other reasons people race, but I sit into #3 above.  If I push myself as hard as possible and finsh dead last, it would still be a good day.  If I were to win, it might be a little treat, but the pushing is the main objective.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Y'all were a bunch of wusses this year with the gorgeous weather.  Smile  Nice finish, TB!  I missed being there.

Running is dumb.

LB2

I think I fit into 3, also. I don't really care what others are doing; I just want to run a smart race. I usually do that, but I have been known to get stupid.

Congratulations.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice run...what was up with the knees?  I always tell my running partner it's called a "Race" for a reason.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

Nice run!

I can take something more or less seriously, but generally give a good effort. Sometimes, just finishing requires digging deep.

muppy

Nice job triplebock!

I'd say I'm a number 3, however I still need to work on mental toughness some more.

XtremeTaper

Congratulations! Negative splitting a 50 milers is pretty hard and good stuff. Pinning on a bib normally means to me that you should have some sort of goal so I think I am in camp3 as well, but often times things happen that put me in camp5.. 5) Just finish dammit!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TripleBock

Thanks

I am always completely destroyed at the end and usually feel I could not have eeked out more than a couple minutes with better / tougher racing.  Some day I should wear a HR monitor.  I would guess I am near 90%+ to max for the last few hours.

Congratulations! Negative splitting a 50 milers is pretty hard and good stuff. Pinning on a bib normally means to me that you should have some sort of goal so I think I am in camp3 as well, but often times things happen that put me in camp5.. 5) Just finish dammit!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, what a race. Was is part of the strategy to qualify for WS?

What's up with your knees? I think you should have a serious word with them! Wink

I think I fit into category 4, maybe 3 sometimes, or at times during the race. But with the years, I don't see much point in totally destroying myself in a race any more (especially since I'm a midpack runner, not elite), I rather enjoy the experience. Took me 48 years to realize this, however.

Run for fun.

TripleBock

I am 44 and trying to see the light, but I failed.  Yes, I needed a 50M for WS.  I am not sure on knees - It was weird.  Now my right knee is still angry, but I will take care of it.

In the grand strategy ~ I think weighing 230 pounds will not support good knees / back or hips.  So for the next (How every long it takes) I will focus on the weight loss goal until I am under 200 (199) will do and then I will try training.

Beer sweet beer - Good bye.

Congratulations, what a race. Was is part of the strategy to qualify for WS?

What's up with your knees? I think you should have a serious word with them! Wink

I think I fit into category 4, maybe 3 sometimes, or at times during the race. But with the years, I don't see much point in totally destroying myself in a race any more (especially since I'm a midpack runner, not elite), I rather enjoy the experience. Took me 48 years to realize this, however.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Amen. Sigh.

Maybe allow just a few after a 50-miler, for re-hydration. I wonder, does a good bock go well with Hammer's recovery protein powders? Vanilla, or rather orange flavor?

Anyone tried this ever?

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

Yep. I'm also in the age range where I've realized that I need to chose between beer and a lot of other goals. Its pretty obvious those other things are more important, but it a hard realization that the choice is real.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k