Trailer Trash

Saturday! (Read 20 times)

runtraildc

After a week of no running, I got in 5.5 miles this morning with the group.  Included some trail, so it was a great morning.  I feel back on track, though the legs were a bit fatigued after the hills.

qotd:  When something breaks, are you more likely in general to replace or repair?  I grew up in the repair camp and still carry that thru with me today.  I ask, since I had to take in my relatively expensive vacuum in for a new motor.  Two separate times, I was encouraged to buy a new one instead of fixing it--"so I would have a brand new one".  Yes, the repair will cost a lot, but much less than a new one and functionally, isn't replacing the motor replacing 95% of the vacuum?  So why put it in the landfill?  And we recently fixed the ignitor on our stove ($40 and 15 min DIY) after a repairman insinuated that our oven was 'really old at 13 years' and we should buy a new one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

5+ in the sunshine. Undeniably, spring is on its way! There was the unmistakable smell of plants decomposing in the warm sun after the snow has melted. And even though we will get some more snow toward the end of the week, spring is coming, yay!

Now off to work - until 11 p.m.. I just hate these late shifts. 

Nancy: Wow, a week of no running, and you crank out the miles just like that, probably, as I know you, at lightning fast speed. Respect!

QOTD: Repair camp. And my kids are following in my tracks - quote: "My mom's an engineer, she can fix ANYthing!" 

Run for fun.

muppy

6.6 miles last night.

QOTD I will try to fix things, between YouTube  and asking the guys I work with for advice, I can fix most things.

AT-runner

Tim

Ended up with a group run on the AT. Only a few spots of deep snow with several sections of no snow at all.  12 miles with a good climb to Chimney Rocks.  I was the oldest and slowest of the group so I was really pushed up the hills with some thin young guns leading the way.  One little fucker said it was pretty cool I was still so active at my age. He's 28, so I guess my age does seem pretty old. 

QOTD:  I live in an 114 year old farm house, so that would definitely make me a fixer.  As with Muppy, YouTube has been great for finding ways to fix things and saves a ton of time.  During he blizzard, my electric starter went out on my snowblower and, sure enough, I found a handy video on how to diagnose and fix the problem. Had it repaired in 5 minutes and it would have taken me an hour or more to figure it out on my own.  I'm also the guy everyone comes to for borrowing tools since I have way too many tools and gadgets.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men often go awry.  That explains my running this past week. Three times I've planned to get up on the mountain, three times I've failed, today included. Oh well, tomorrow's another day and since I try to avoid any working around the house on Sundays I should make it up there. Meanwhile, it looks like today will have to be hill repeats in a few hours. Probably 6-7 miles worth.

AT - Tell the little plucker that being old has one big benefit. You have a lot of experience knowing where to hide bodies so they are never found   .  Plus advise him that as he's galloping away from you, if he falls you might not see him and "accidentally" step on him .

QOTD: I'm definitely a fixer. I get very frustrated when something can't be fixed and has to be thrown out simply because of the way it's designed. There are very few things that I won't try to fix. I'm another person that loves youtube.

DS is still going through this with his car. After the original engine blew they supposedly put in a used one because no one wanted to rebuild the old one. Now we found metal in the oil on this one. A shop looked at it, can't find the source but thinks it may be that the old engine was actually rebuilt with a mixture of used parts, not replaced and that shop didn't clean it right. I keep telling him that we can probably rebuild the engine ourselves and he didn't want to. Two days ago we drained some oil to send a sample away. While doing this he was bitching about the repair shops only wanting to put used engines in the car instead of tearing the engine down and fixing it. Now it sounds like he's all for rebuilding this one ourselves if it needs it. I think he's finally starting to come around to being a fixer.

runtraildc

Apparently, he doesn't have high hopes for himself when he gets older.  Or doesn't have anyone in his life currently modeling an 'older' active lifestyle.

One little fucker said it was pretty cool I was still so active at my age. He's 28, so I guess my age does seem pretty old. 

Marie-- you give me too much credit.  It was a slooow run with too many walk breaks (and not humble brag slow; we were the back of the pack with the 7 miler ending when we did).  But I was just happy to get out there (and without any stomach troubles ).

bagge_pants

Hi all, 5 yesterday afternoon scouting rolling terrain then 1.5 in the pm on the road (ran to retrieve my phone that I left somewhere), 10.5 today on trails by the lake. I'll plan to run 5+ tomorrow to get 50 miles in for the week.

QOTD: half and half I guess. Somethings that break are things that I bought used so I'll buy another used one.

NHLA

9 miles Estatoe Trail no snow. They re-sceduled 25k for the 20th. I don't know why trails were fine.

qotd  Depends on the product.

NorthernHarrier

Checking in just to show that there is life west of the Appalachians.  Up at my cabin by my lonesome with just a growler of beer for company that I filled on the way up in Wausau. Just an old recluse.    There is close to 2' of snow on the ground with more predicted every day this next week.  It's a beautiful look, clean and white with the contrasting hemlocks.

Went skiing early this morning and when I was getting back to my car I ran into a couple in their seventies who were heading out snowshoeing. I told them that I thought it was pretty cool that they were still so active at their age. Oops! Guess maybe I shouldn't have. 

Did an 11 mile run on the snow packed and icy roads this afternoon. It's almost like trail running. I skipped my snowshoe race that I was originally planning to do as I am dealing with some weird foot issues on both my feet. Achilles and heel on my right and Dr. Google says I may have an Avulsion stress fracture on my left. This has been an area of discomfort for some time so I think I better see a real Doctor. Damn!

QOTD--I can and do just about everything and take pride in doing a somewhat professional job in most cases. Despite knowing what I am doing however I really don't like working on cars much and I can't weld. I also realize that there are times to call a professional and just get it done right and in a timely manner.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

30 mph winds with gusts to 50 today  sooooooo.... 10 miles on the #&ck%ng treadmill- oh I hate the treadmill

qotd: vehicles I'm pretty handy with (up to a point), household stuff less so; if something is going to take me a long time- I'll get it fixed, time trumps money in most cases

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

8 hours of racking pine needles.  Fuck!  No run...

qotd: My husband can fix pretty much anything. ...and he uses youtube alot.  Electronics...computers we done fix.  We are also big on buying used at Estate sales.

AT: I was a the gym and the trainer asked me, "How's the body holding up"   I was liike pretty good for my age!!  Poor kid has no personality at the gym.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

I did 15 mi this morning along the flat riversides.  It was about 27 deg, and quite windy on the way out (to the north).  I wore my Chinese knockoff windbreaker (is says Patagonia on it, but that's doubtful) that is actually a pretty nice jacket so it wasn't too bad and somewhat easy to regulate the temps.  The hot shower afterwards did feel nice.

qotd:  I'll pretty much try to fix anything.  Although I don't do any major car-stuff anymore since we usually need it done much quicker than it would take me to do.  Once I did replaced the gas tank in a old Toyota with one I got from a pick-a-part junkyard.  It actually was pretty easy.  FTYC, my DW also goads me with that "... you're an Engineer, you can fix ANYthing... "  line.  

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

Achilles and heel on my right and Dr. Google says I may have an Avulsion stress fracture on my left. This has been an area of discomfort for some time so I think I better see a real Doctor. Damn!

I've had two Avulsion fractures, one on each ankle. One put me on crutches the other in a walking boot for a couple of days. However, both came when I rolled my ankles, so it was from an acute injury, not from stress. Both times I swelled up really bad.

Daydreamer1

FTYC, my DW also goads me with that "... you're an Engineer, you can fix ANYthing... "  line.  

Now I've been working on cars and trucks on and off for the past 34 years and I always thought it was the engineers job to design things so the mechanic couldn't fix them .  At least not with out a special tool designed just for that job and only then after contorting the body into a totally unnatural position  .

Sandy-2

... I always thought it was the engineers job to design things so the mechanic couldn't fix them ... 

That's so true!!!  Especially with the newer cars with all the stuff crammed under the hood!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL