Trailer Trash

Snow (shoe) ideas at the weekend (Read 29 times)

Watoni

Well, I will be accompanying the budding ski shredders to Tahoe again (40 pound/7 year old is landing 180s and doing other things that make me nervous), and I am hoping for the some running. Ideas as follows:

1. Run in Sportiva C-Lite 2.0s (nice cleats for traxction, no spikes) from hotel to Northstar about 4-5 miles (road/path), then run up the groomed easy slope to mid-mountain, pick up skis and ski with bride.

2. Rent snowshoes, mix snowshoe running and skiing

3. Sign-up for Sunday 21km point to point snowshoe race ending at Northstar

3 would likely derail getting the kids to ski team on time and result in parking headaches, plus with the entry fee and snowshoe rental I am halfway to buying a decent pair of running snowshoes. If I went early, 1. is good since there is likely a dirt shoulder and the resort would likely not bust me for running up the easy village run or finding a path to the x-country center over some of the groomed snowshoe trails (I have a pass), which hopefully will be runnable in C-Lites ... plus I then get to ski with the bride all day rather than skiing, changing for snowshoeing, then skiing again.

What say you?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

A half marathon on snowshoes would be thoroughly ass kicking.  I think the farthest I have gone on snowshoes is about 10 miles and that was enough for me.

I would probably do #1.

Running is dumb.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

#4 The Reno running group has a snowshoe run in the Tahoe Meadows Sunday 12:00 ,  highway 28 to Incline Village head up  431 to the Meadows .

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

after having run several days in snowshoes, I'd opt for #1 Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

I actually loved running in snowshoes a few weeks back, I just eased the pace a bit. My main struggle was getting the binding to hold the shoe -- it kept slipping so I spent a good deal of time trying to tweak it and then gave myself a blister when I overcranked it.

This weekend I focused more on getting the boys situated in ski team and the skiing with my bride. Snow conditions were better Sunday, but pretty hard pack throughout and the snowshoe trails were not in great shape.

So, I skied about 38.75K vertical feet downhill over two days. I used some different muscles and cursed my ski boots on Saturday, but ultimately probably not that great of a workout ...

Here is my interrupted snow shoe run from December, fwiw:

http://app.strava.com/activities/34898859