Trailer Trash

snow shoers and x-country skiers on the forum? (Read 346 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm guessing at least some of our northern tier folk partake in one or both Smile

I'm a lifelong snowshoer, I try to get into the backcountry at least a couple of times each winter for day trips and at least one 2-3 day trip.  This year I purchased some running snowshoes, haven't had a chance to use them yet as snows have all been on the lighter side.  Should be fun to give it a go when we get the snow.  Would be fun to do a race in them (once you get the hang of them of course).

I recently have been "dabbling" in x-country skiing as well, I purchased some skis that kind of bridge the gap backcountry skis and "typical" skinny nordic skis.  We're going to the Absarokas after Christmas for some backcountry skiing during the day (and hot tubbing in the evening Big grin)

How about you?

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

I snowshoe. Or...I have in the past anyway. I haven't done it in a while because of my location, but I'm planning to get back into it now that we moved. 

sugnim

I have a pair of x-country skis, and I have a pair of snow shoes (both craig's list purchases) and I've used them before, but I wouldn't say I'm a snow shoer or a skier.  I've had a great time every time I've gone out in them, including even the time last winter when the only way I could get to work was by snowshoeing.  

You'll have to let us all know what you think of the running snow shoes.  I saw that the LRS in my town has some for sale this year, but they are a bit pricey for me.

NorthernHarrier

Yes.  Got my first pair of snowshoes about 35 years ago. I am a bushwack snowshoer, I try to stay off trail just using a compass, map, and/or GPS.  I have also done 5-6 races. Running and races are not for me. The backcountry and orienteering into unique areas(frozen waterfalls etc.) are what I enjoy.

Also into cross-country skiing though my skill level leaves a lot to be desired. Have skate skis also but I am pretty hopeless on them.

Favorite day up north--Strap snowshoes to my back and then use my backcountry skis and navigate thru old logging roads until I can go no further. Stick the skis in the snow and then navigate into the geographic feature Im looking for on snowshoes. Lunch and hot chocolate in my pack. And if conditions are right to return via moonlight.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I did a lot of xc skiing when I was younger, but I don't have any gear and equipment where I live now. I snowshoe, though, started this last year and really enjoyed it. I love having access to remote areas again (after not xc skiing for several years) in deep snow, being able to observe animals and watch the snow change over a period of time until it's gone again.

Only thing that bothers me with the snowshoes is how slow I am compared to xc skiing! 

Run for fun.

ultratrailrunner

You're just making me jealous. Around here we only get maybe one good snowstorm a year so no point in gear but I love to get out and hike around in it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Favorite day up north--Strap snowshoes to my back and then use my backcountry skis and navigate thru old logging roads until I can go no further. Stick the skis in the snow and then navigate into the geographic feature Im looking for on snowshoes. Lunch and hot chocolate in my pack. And if conditions are right to return via moonlight.

Where is that floating heart emoticon when you need it?  That sounds like the perfect day.

I don't own cross country skis, but it has always sounded fun to me.  With almost 20" of new snow on the ground, I will be going snowshoeing this weekend, I hope!  Smile 

Running is dumb.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I snowshoe and after this weekend it looks like there will be plenty of snow  . There is a race I've wanted to try in Feb. but I can't master running in them and I don't want to buy running specific snowshoes

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if anyone is looking for a good deal on running snowshoes, STP (sierratradingpost) has last year's Atlas Races on their site- they are selling them for $225 25% off of retail, however almost daily they put out 30, 35 and even 40% off coupons (many w/ free shipping); anywho I was able to pick up a pair for $135 w/ free shipping

NH- skiing and snowshoeing together- nice Smile

Amazingly it looks like Montana doesn't have any snowshoe races (had some in years prior) Sad  I think it would be fun to do a 10k or the like on running snowshoes

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Birdwell

I'm going to get out and try one of these this year. The local university has an outdoor rec center that rents snowshoes or XC ski dirt cheap. 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ I'll bet you like it Smile

it's great exercise and can tucker a guy out Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wrh

Skate skiing: running on skis. True love. <3

Ultra Cowboy

I would truly love to live where I could do either of those activities.  Alas I have to endure 50 degree days on the coast.  My Central Idaho raised wife will not return to snow country.

MtW...Nice navigator you got there...

WYBMADIITY

Save

snow shoe may try a race in 2013 WI has a bunch to choose from.

Occasional Runner

The wife showing off her new snowshoes!