Trailer Trash

Painful Mondays (Read 42 times)

LB2

Legs are a bit sore this morning, which is something I haven't felt in a long time. But I really feel a little embarrassed about admitting it when I consider that Lace and Sandy probably have a lot more soreness than I do.

QOTD: I have been thining alot about elevation gain, change, etc. For a person who lives at sea level, in your opinion, what is better for hill training for a mountain 100 miler (or any race distance) without a great deal of altitude?

A. Hill repeats on hills you can find.

B. Time on a treadmill with it inclined to its greated degree.

C. Stairmaster

D. Squats

I think the Stairmaster would give you the greatest benefit.

LB2

Occasional Runner

Leaving Leadville today for SLC so I can catch a flight to Wisconsin. A lot of sitting won't be great for an aching body.

I want to mention that Watoni did an amazing job at Leadville this weekend. It was his first 100 miler and he handled like a pro!

QOTD: I would suggest hill repeats and a lot of slow, sustained hiking on the steepest hills you can find.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Painful, because I thought I had run nice and fast yesterday, only to find when I looked up my previous times on that route that it was a fairly slow run. Bummer.

Maybe I got the starting time wrong, and I had added something like 0.2 miles, but still... Sad

I'm blaming my running buddy for this, as he did not show up!

It's raining here, and I had planned on a longer run today, but then I have to pick up DD from Marching Band, and then a doc's appointment an hour later - don't you just hate it when all those things break up your day off work into little bits and pieces that won't allow for a nice, long run? Life, here we go again...

Not sure what to do today, might end up being a rest day, or just a wet slog.

LB2: It is easier to admit when you consider it a result of getting older, but then again, who likes admitting they're getting older...

Let's just say, you ran hard yesterday!

lace: Hope your recovery goes well, despite the forced rest!

Watoni: Congrats on your race!

QOTD: I'd say hill repeats, and some Stairmaster. Squats work well if you expect climbing up huge boulders and rocks, but they don't do much for running long, somewhat steep hills for miles and miles.

Have a great day, everyone!

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Morning!  painful it is, but mainly because I am back to work after vacation.  Got in a 2nd run of 4 miles last night.  Today is a rest day, with core/strength training planned for the gym after work.

FTYC- good luck fitting in the run among errands.  With my family still away, I plan to make the most of it and run extra this week Smile

qotd:  Never having trained for a mountain 100 miler (or any 100 for that matter), I'll use the multiple choice strategy to pick 'C''/ Stairmaster.

XtremeTaper

No pain for me this Monday other than it being Monday.

Not sure of the run plans tonight. I want to run 7-8 miles today, somewhere, someplace. Have a sort of late meeting at work that throws a monkey wrench into my plans but should not be a big deal. Not sure about storms/rain today either. The rain yesterday was wonderful to run in. Light and cooling. Last full week before the taper.

QOTD: Not sure if you are asking about running at altitude or running hills/mountains. Two different things. I live pretty much at sea level but have plenty of hills and even mountains nearby. So being prepared for climbs is not difficult. Altitude is another thing entirely. That can require acclimation for many. If you just need hills though I would go for repeats on any hills you could find first, then the treadmill. The TM could be the better option honestly but I have an aversion to those things.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Low_O2

Morning all!

Congrats to the Leadville racers! I'm looking forward to some race reports.

Finished my 2nd Pikes Peak Ascent on Sat. I shaved off a little time from last year, but didn't do nearly as well as I hoped. No real issues, just didn't have much pep in my step. That mountain never takes it easy on you and stands ready to beat you down from lack of oxygen... Hopefully get around to writing a RR sometime this week. I'll probably head out for a short run with my wife this evening.

QOTD: I've never run a 100 miler but have run lots of mountains. I'm still trying to figure this one out.... I think the long climbs(on treadmill if needed) are great for climbing endurance, but don't do as much to increase hill speed and climbing power. I think hill repeats help develop better climbing strength/speed and hiking/stairmaster is great to prepare for the hiking that will surely take place in a 100 miler. This is coming from my ongoing experiment... So I guess that would be answer B & C on a multiple choice test.

sugnim

Good morning all.  I went out for a quick 4 miles this morning with the dog.  They were recovery miles for her; she seems to have a sore tail muscle after Saturday's mountain run, and she isn't able to wag or lift it very well.   She was wagging a little bit after the run, so I think it may have helped her.  There was a big fire coming off of Blue Mountain in the distance.  The air was clean and clear, but I'm dreading the influx of that smoke which I know will come later today.

QOTD:  I'm not sure, but I would go with repeats on the hills that you can find, or maybe running in sand to get your feet & legs stronger.  I think that running at a higher altitude is also harder on your lungs, so I'm not sure how you could train for that at sea level.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today after busy weekend.

wantoni - congrats at Leadville.

Low_O2 - Glad PPA went well.  I had a friend who was timed-out at the PPM.  He was after 6 hrs on the ascent portion and took a bus down (he's done over 40 marathons with a 3:45 PR).  I gave him all kinds of advice from what I've learned from that mountain, but looks like the altitude ate him up.

QOTD:  One of the toughest races I've done is Mt. Washington.  I know it's only 7.6 miles, but it's the constant grade that makes it so hard.  For that race (and Pikes Peak), I did 1 mile hill repeats on a road that goes up 500'.  I also did 1 hour treadmill runs with a 4x4 block under the front of the treadmill to raise it up higher.  I say runs, but I think there were more like 4mph slogs. So my answer is "A" and "B".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Got out for an early morning mountain bike session. Good ride. On the way back home the "man" called to see if I can come into work a little early so.... oh well, I will play the game. It was to be a SRD from running but I did have a few other things that need doing.

QOTD--First make sure you are carrying no extra pounds then I think any and all hills you can find to do repeats. Probably hard to find quality ones in your state though in that case I would look at an elliptical that you can set a high incline with a lot of resistance. Then you position a TV with football on it right in front of you and a small cooler with a few beers and let 'er rip. Well the last part I guess I'm just speaking for myself. Smile

Chnaiur

Wow - lots of activity here today! 3 & weights for me.

QOTD: I haven't done a 100-miler, but I'd guess hill repeats. I'd also add hanging leg raises to strengthen the hip flexor to propel the leg forward. Potentially also some calf-strengthening. Hip flexors and calves are my bottlenecks for hill performance, rather than any squat-related muscles.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Sandy-2

SRD, after doing Leadville over the weekend (did it in 28:20) I am taking it a bit slow today. Just some general soreness in the calfs and shins nothing too bad.

More painful than anything was having to get up at 4:30am for the flight home this morning.

Congrats to lace-up, watoni and low_O2.

qotd: I'll go with the Stairmaster, because that is how I trained for Leadville.  Only hills down here in the Houston area are parking garages.

tbd.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Congratulations to the Leadville racers!

5 progressive miles around the soggy lollypop.  2.3 with Weston.  Picked up the pace to sub 8 at the end.
                          11.55, 11.29, 9.34, 9.32, 8.49
                          65*F and overcast.  It's getting darkier in the mornings again..

QOTD: A) most definately.  Helps with the up and the downhills, and the footwork, proprioception,  ankle strength, the whole thing.  Nothing prepares you for trail running like... trail running.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congrats O2 on the Pikes Peak Ascent!

I can't wait for all the new RR's to come up soon!

No run yet, decided to do my hair instead - but, to do it justice, I used the "Ultra-highlighting Kit", not just any old highlighter. Clown

traildc: I found a cute little tea shop in the Rockville/Bethesda area, the Bubble Tea Shop. When I get to the DC area again, we might go for a run along Cabin John Trail, and then re-hydrate at the Bubble Tea Shop. Also fun for the kids!

sugnim: Poor pooch. It may also be a back/disc issue. You can apply ice or heat (be careful with the ice, even though the dog has a fur), and give massages. This could also tell you where the dog has the issue, rather in the muscles, or directly at the spine, or maybe the hips? Hope he/she'll be better soon again!

Harrier: I like the football approach. But my idea was to sprint in between whenever you see the football player sprint.

QOTD, added: It's always interesting to see how the repeats beat you up. Good for training is also a long hill with increasing grade - in my area, there's a 6-mile gravel road stretch, which starts out very gradually (2-3%), then increases to 19% close to the top. Always a challenge, great for hiking, too, and good preparation for any trail race.

Run for fun.

Snowdenrun

I plan on running today for the first time in ....a week?? My knees are slowly starting to feel better. My dad and brother get into town tonight so I probably won't do much running this next week, but I should get a few good hikes in.

QOTD: I have no 100 experience, but my guess would be the repeated hill climbs. Nothing to better simulate than actual hills with actually dirt/rocks/roots.

Daydreamer1

Just crawled out of bed after getting home from work around 9 this morning. Now for a quick run, probably my normal 6.3 mile loop. Then it's off to Chemistry class. Yep, it's already time for fall classes. At least I only have one this semester. Scrolling through the postings there are a lot of things here I wanted to reply to but don't have the time. It's either a run or sit here on the computer interacting with you all and the run is more important Big grin.

QOTD: If you have time to fit it all in, I'd say all of the above. They would all work different muscles. I would rate them In the order that you have them in for usefulness. The hill repeats of course are outside so they would be best, and I found that a elevated treadmill is almost as good as running uphill on a road. There are a few people from Florida that come to Pa for one of our hilly marathons. Apparently some of them like the walking lunges. I tried some and they are a killer. That race has a lot of boulders and steep climbs so I can see that walking lunges could help them, because I noticed more power when I do them.