Trailer Trash

Where Is Everybody Fridaily (Read 34 times)

moonlightrunner

Hello???

I don't know if there will be a run today or when that would be. My home situation has become very stressful...more so than it has been. It has derailed my mojo. My run buddy wants to do a 10 mile this weekend...and I am looking forward to some company on the trail.

Qotd: Describe your most exciting or pleasantrun you have ever had. I will defer my own answer. I need some inspiration to help dispell this funk I am in.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sorry I've been MIA.  I was in Chicago for a while.  Now I'm just moping.  Been running a little...I'll run tonight.  Winter is supposed to hit next week here.  Ugh.

QOTD: Exciting and pleasant are two different things.  I think my most pleasant runs are longer(ish) runs that leave me feeling used, but not totally used up.  Like, you're tired at the end and ready for the run to end, but still have some energy left.

Running is dumb.

Gator eye

8 miles this morning for me and Mr Jangles.

Thought of of you this morning Moonlight, we ran with no headlamp under bright moon light down dirt two track roads. It was a great run, it reminded me of why I like to wake up at 3:30in the morning to run. Doesn't that also answers the QOTD

AT-runner

Tim

Ran on the treadmill yesterday, so was too ashamed to post.     Did some 800's for some speed work and didn't want to go out in the rain because I've been fighting a bad cold for a few days.

SRD today.  Meeting a friend for a hilly 20 miler tomorrow.  His last long run before the JFK50.  I'm working an AS this year and not running.  The did not sell out for the first time in many years, and not sure if that was a reaction to the qualification requirements or not.  I have 2 freinds going for their 10th year, so I thought I'd help out and then join them later on the C&O.

QOTD:  Hard to pick, but I'll say an emotional (that's exciting and pleasant) trail run 12 years ago, right after my father was killed in a car accident.  It was early fall and the colors were beautiful, and I went out for 6 miles and kept adding distance and ended up running 15 or 16.  I kept stopping to look at the views and thinking about my dad, and could heard John M's advice in my head of "taking time to appreciate where you are" during a run.  When it came time for the funeral, I was in a much better emotional place than my mom and siblings because I had that time to work things out.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

I'm in the middle of two weeks of scheduled rest and it's driving me nuts, especially because I decided to try some other things at the gym. Now the fake bike hurts my sit bones and I've displayed my complete lack of coordination on the elliptical.

moonlight, I feel you. Sometimes there's not much you can do but stay in the moment, which leads to QOTD. I wrote about the best run I ever had in the middle of something else, so I just clipped it out- the first time I ran trails, also a race

"It was 9 miles long and I was completely unprepared for it. I mean, I knew the course profile and I had the fitness, but I was unprepared for how I would feel about it. My friend Steve, an avid trail runner, has described running technical trails as a 'different kind of athleticism' that's somewhat removed from road and track running, and when I was out on the singletrack I knew immediately what he meant. If you want to run on the trail, particularly at speed, evaluating each footfall needs to be involuntary, and doing it came so naturally... like an instinct that had been waiting to be expressed. It was visceral. It was fun. And then in the last mile, the course began to zigzag downward through a dangerously steep rock garden section - and then it became revelatory. Not only could I put concern for myself aside and scream down those harrowing switchbacks, I delighted in it. I jumped around other runners, picking new lines off of the trail, legs and arms wheeling.

But I didn't fall. I've fallen since then, but in those first moments everything was perfect. I was letting go completely and there was a sense of rightness about it. We are all gifted with things we are perfectly suited for in this life, but it's not often so clear to us. I didn't have to muster up the courage to bomb down that hill. I just acted. But the memory of that experience has helped me when the way in my life is not so clear, not so dependent on physical intuition and muscle memory. That experience changed me. It changed how I relate to the world and to the constant challenges it throws at us, and it changed how I think about running."

Watoni

No running, but am doing some exercises for the ankle and testing it on the stairs a bit. This weekend should be good or some long rides in the Santa Cruz Mountains or up Mt. Tam a few times Wink

I keep thinking by next weekend I will be back on the trail doing 10-15 at a time, but that may be very optimistic.

QOTD: Probably somewhere between Leadville and the NFEC 50km in the mud in 2012. Away from a "race," the best was one day on the trails from Stinson Beach up the slopes of Mt. Tam where everything just flowed perfectly, I felt like I floated up the climbs and danced down the root covered descents back to the beach, where it was time for a quick dip and then some wine

Occasional Runner

7 early morning trail miles with the puppy. It was so bright this morning that a headlamp probably wouldn't have been needed. Gorgeous morning!

Heading to Moab in a couple of hours for the Moab Trail Marathon. This race is a bitch but it's also a lot of fun. Should be a great time.

QOTD: Probably my Ingalls Creek Trail FKT in the Cascade Mountains. That run meant a lot to me.

LB2

Still resting and recovering. I'll start back running again next week. I feel great. I haven't had any soreness since Wednesday, but I am not running until I finish these antibiotics and there is no longer pain from the Cellulitis. That stuff comes on you quick but fades slowly. I think I should be back on the trails early next week. Don't worry, Kelly, I'll be ready in a few weeks.

QOTD: Hard question. I have had so many pleasant runs. I think one of the most pleasant was my run with Dana Miller on the Bear 100 course a few years back. We pretty much ran through every thing the Rockies have to offer: rocks, snow, mud, ups, downs, scree, etc. I would also have to put last weekend's Pinhoti in that list of pleasant runs. I finished that thing pretty comfortably. It was just a great run. But, by far, my most exciting run was the only race I ran last year. It was a 10K night race on what was really a cross country type of course. I was in a tight pack of runners on the second 5K loop, and it just felt like we were flying down the trail. We came out across a highway, and my toe caught one of those darned road reflectors. I did a complete somersault and popped right back up, never missed a beat. The guy behind me say "Whoa!!! Are you okay!?! The guy ahead of me looked over his shoulder, and I stayed right on his heels as I told the guy behind me I was fine. I caught the guy in front of me about 400 yards from the finish line and started putting some distance between us. He closed in close at the end, but I edged him out. It was really a great race. We were running at about 7 minutes per mile, but there were a few folks running 5:20's. I was giving it all I had to keep the 7 minute pace. It was quite a night. At the finish, you would have thought the three of us were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at some world championship race. We talked about the details of that last lap for quite awhile over a couple of beers.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Brought my stuff for a lunch time 5 run.

QOTD:  I had a run a month or so ago.  I left really depressed and pissed off.  It was my usually route from home and it begins with a hill I have named MF hill...which is a rather ugly powerline hill.  But when you reach the top you go back into the woods.  This is private property that has always had trails through it but the current owner is building even more trails for Mt Bike races.  So they are nice single track trails.  When I stepped out of the woods back onto the powerline trail there is an excellent view through the trees with miles and miles of foothills after foot hills.  I always stop here to enjoy the view, take some deep breaths and truely appreciate how I feel and what I am looking at.  It was at this point that I thought "wow, when did I stop being depressed and pissed?"  I guess I shredded that feeling somewhere in the woods while focusing on the trail,  the trees or ???  So I suggest that you (and I) get out there for a run. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

I thought "wow, when did I stop being depressed and pissed?"  I guess I shredded that feeling somewhere in the woods while focusing on the trail,  the trees or ???  So I suggest that you (and I) get out there for a run. 

Awesome, Sue.  Love it!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Driving (riding) back home from a workshop at Harrisburg today, enjoying nice views of the Susquehanna River, and waving to Jamie, hoping he'll be back to join us on the trails again. I might need a pacer next year... No run today, but a rest day between yesterday's 7 and tomorrow's planned 14 is not so bad either. QOTD: no particular run stands out, but I just love to run without the pressure of having to work off a certain distance or time in preparation for a bigger race. Right now, after having slacked somewhat over the past weeks, I often get dizzy and nauseous on the first three miles, and when that wears off, and things come together, and I can crank it up a notch, it feels good. Just an adjustment problem which should pass with more regular running again, but every run where I can speed up on the last miles and chuckle inside because I beat the odds is exciting.

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

Windy, cold, and brisk out there today. I was feeling a bit rough this morning after a bit of extra IPA indulging last night while watching my beloved Browns kick the crap out of the Bengals. It's been ages since this Browns fan has had much to cheer for so I celebrated. Anyway, took LadyB out at lunch and we ran an easy 5 miles of neighborhood loops. Tried out my new Altra Torin road shoes. Seemed fine. Figure it's time to transition my road running to the zero drop now too. Trail I've been there since March.

QOTD: Ok, you asked... here is a part from my first 100 at Massanutten.. This was just after the second to last aid station and I'd been walking shuffling all night with horribly blistered soaked feet from the previous afternoon/evening/night's thunderstorms..

..... So when we got to the road, I began to run again. It seemed like for the first time in hours and hours. I started into a pretty ok pace I guess for someone at 90 miles into a race, but after a ¼ mile of running my left foot began to protest with sharp stabbing pains that felt like fire burning on the ball of my foot. I had to stop running and instantly began cursing. I felt so awake, I felt so alive, so full of energy and the desire to run, but my trashed feet were not allowing me to do so. I cursed out loud in frustration about this several times but eventually just buckled down and tried to walk briskly. That seemed to calm down the foot so I kept with the brisk walking all the way up the road but was sure disappointed not to be running. I figured I would likely be walking it in, and now thoughts of breaking 30 hours seemed out of reach. You think marathon math is fuzzy, you should try 100 miler math in a race of this difficulty.

Anyway, we crossed a few more wet creeks, like it mattered anymore to my mushy wet feet and shoes, and started the second to last big climb of the day. I had lost a bit of momentum with my walking on the steep hill but when Angus spotted another racer ahead I tried to keep moving the best I could. It was Jay from earlier in the night, and we caught up with him at the ridgeline, only to have another runner that Angus knew, Mike the RD from the HAT stride by us like we were standing still a few seconds later.

After a short rocky switchback started our descent, the trail seemed to get a little less steep and I thought I’d try running again though I wasn’t sure if I could. I kind of feared being passed again by Jay who let us go by at the ridge line. I was running pretty slowly, and it seemed to take forever for the next switch back to arrive. I was having to stop and start my “running pace” due to some tricky rocky patches and it was a bit frustrating and I felt that Jay was just behind me waiting to pass again. Man, do I suck on the trails or what! I kept at it though the best I could.

After a few more switchbacks the trail seemed to smooth out just a bit and something came over me. At first it was the realization that I was going to really finish my first 100 miler. Then it was the realization that I really wanted to bring it home strong and break 30 hours. Like I said, 100 mile math is really tricky and I was sure I was at the edge of that window if I kept walking. So I started to turn my legs over just a bit faster. My mind started buzzing when I did this. It’s so hard to explain but it felt so damn good. I almost wanted to cry. I was so pumped up and excited all of a sudden. I started to breathe a bit harder on purpose and picked up the pace as I did so. My breathing was hard but relaxed in a rhythmic fashion. Almost like I was saying enough of this MMT, let me show you who’s in charge. Wow wow wow. I’m running again after all this time. I accelerated a few more times almost using my breathing to stoke the fires and give me a bit more gas. Adrenaline was flowing through me something fierce. Angus muttered “way to go Dave” behind my back and it felt so good to finally give my best friend and pacer a good moment out here. I worried a few times about over doing it here and falling or tripping but it seemed like such a natural movement now on the trail and my feet that had been burning and aching for so long were just making a dull throb and moving along like they were supposed to. I kept the faster pace going up to the final aid station, only slowing a bit for rocky and slippery spots and I even passed Mike just before reaching Elizabeth Furnace. A surge of adrenaline and speed 27+ hours and 93+ miles into my race. It seemed like pure magic and I was so happy.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My mind started buzzing when I did this. It’s so hard to explain but it felt so damn good. I almost wanted to cry. I was so pumped up and excited all of a sudden. I started to breathe a bit harder on purpose and picked up the pace as I did so. My breathing was hard but relaxed in a rhythmic fashion. Almost like I was saying enough of this MMT, let me show you who’s in charge. Wow wow wow. I’m running again after all this time. I accelerated a few more times almost using my breathing to stoke the fires and give me a bit more gas. Adrenaline was flowing through me something fierce. Angus muttered “way to go Dave” behind my back and it felt so good to finally give my best friend and pacer a good moment out here. I worried a few times about over doing it here and falling or tripping but it seemed like such a natural movement now on the trail and my feet that had been burning and aching for so long were just making a dull throb and moving along like they were supposed to. I kept the faster pace going up to the final aid station, only slowing a bit for rocky and slippery spots and I even passed Mike just before reaching Elizabeth Furnace. A surge of adrenaline and speed 27+ hours and 93+ miles into my race. It seemed like pure magic and I was so happy.

Very good Extreme!  It was exciting reading it. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Took a SRD yesterday (Friday), today I did about 15 in the hilly and wooded trails just north of Haeundae.  The trails are great and they take me about a mile of street running to get to them.  Had one of those great runs today.

qotd: Well for exciting, I'd have to say running along some of the canyons at Western States or of course almost all of Hardrock.  We're talking, take a fall in the wrong direction and it would get REALLY exciting REALLY quickly!!!

I've had a whole lot of really pleasant runs so it is hard to pick out one.  Sometimes it's the feeling of effortless running, sometimes the temps are just right, the light is great, the smells are nice, you've got the right amount of clothes on, and sometimes it's hard to put your finger on exactly why things are going so well.  But I would say that a trail is almost always involved.  I am so fortunate to travel a lot and make it a point to find trails wherever I go.  Some that stand out are trails in Kamakura and near Mt. Takao in Japan, the trail around the hills in Genoa, Italy, some of the trails here in Korea (I ran on some today), trails in Norway.... and even trails in Colorado and California.  The photo I use as my avatar to the left is one such moment, running in the aspen trees out of Windfield about to go back up the back side of Hope Pass at Leadville.  For some reason I felt really good at that point, maybe it was the light or time of day, etc.... the photo even came out ok and that's why I use it here.....  It really was pleasant at that moment, even though I knew I had a good 45+ miles to go and Hope Pass loomed, that happens in 100s sometimes, but then again you get to the other extreme soon enough.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

Thank you everyone for your stories. Runs can mean so many things...exhilerating, cleansing, providing a sense of accomplishment. I enjoyed every story. 

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k