Trailer Trash

R2R2R (Read 40 times)

I'm doing a R2R2R run with a few local friends on May 3, 2014.  Starting the planning phase right now, getting all my ducks in a row with logistics and what not.  Running buddy has lodge reservations at Maswik, so that's taken care of.  I'm thinking we would catch the Hiker's shuttle at 5 am from the Back Country Information center for a ride over to the South Kaibab trailhead, which puts us on the trail around 530 am, right at sunrise.  I think there are mule trains that also go down South Kaibab about the same time, does anyone know?  Taking South Kaibab down, then North Kaibab up to the north rim, the North Kaibab back down, then Bright Angel up to the south rim, round trip 44.5 miles, roughly 20000' elevation gain.  Shooting for 15 hours, which would put me back on the south rim about an hour after sunset, rough estimate.

Anyone have any experience with running it before, and have any tips to share?  I've already got 5 pages in a Google doc with various info links, trip reports, trail data sheets, etc,  I feel like I will have run this route in my head dozens of times in the next 8 months. I like to make sure I try to prepare as much as I can for something like this.

I plan on using a 2L Camelbak, possibly tucked inside an Ultimate Direction Peter Bakwin pack, although haven't decided on the exact pack just yet.  And of course, plenty of gels (probably 20) and plenty of real food (jerky, trail mix, electrolyte powder, Clif bars, etc).  I also plan on using a set of trekking poles, and will likely carry a water filter just in case the pipeline breaks.  For water, depending on the season, it could very well be turned on at the seasonal water stops inside the canyon, if not, I would have the filter anyhow, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Weather wise, looks like starting temps could be in the 30s (or 20s if they are having extreme weather), and temps at Phantom Ranch could reach 90 during the hottest part of the day.   Shorts and a long sleeve white shirt, along with a desert hat for clothing, but would carry jacket and pants in case of an emergency.  Probably running in Hokas.

I know all the advice that the NPS gives saying to not even do a Rim to River and back in one day.  And I know that many experienced ultrarunners also say that this is the toughest thing they've done, but also one of the most rewarding runs too.

Anyone have any other advice?

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Birdwell

Mule train leaves at 5ish from the trailhead.

ultrarunner magazine did some features on R2R2R

(forgive me, but the formatting is really screwy on these links, all the text is showing up in a column on the right side of the page.  not sure why)

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/world/grand-canyon-basics-rim-t.shtml

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/world/running-the-grand-canyon-.shtml

Take it easy on the first big downhill. try to time it so you can be back at phantom ranch before the store closes on the return trip. You can buy supply's there, and cut back on what you have to carry. Go light.

I tried this last year and turned around past cottonwood. I will try again next year, but a little earlier in the year.

MTA: it's a personal thing, but I'd leave the extra clothes at camp. Carry an emergency blanket or something. It get's hot fast.

Birdwell, that was on my list, to drop stash everything but essentials before making the climb up the north rim, then pick it back up on the descent.  That way, I'm only climbing with the absolute necessities.

If I may ask, what time of year did you do your first attempt?  That though also occurred to me, that if the trip is going bad (for whatever reason), or it's hotter than expected, that I could abort a full attempt and turn around Cottonwood.   Because at that point, you're all in, and you have to make sure and leave enough in the tank to get back home to the south side!

So exactly what can you buy at Phantom Ranch?  i think the hours are 8am to 4pm?  I know they sell Lemonade, (although a lot of the reports that I've read said it makes them feel bad for awhile).  I was also thinking of carrying down a bottle of Coke and stashing in the creek under a rock to grab in the afternoon.

Birdwell

We went the last Saturday of April. Temps were below freezing when I started (at midnight), but i'd been running in at or below freezing all winter, so I went with short, compression calf sleeves and a long sleeve over short sleeve shirt. In hindsight, I could have made it with just the short sleeve. The temp goes up really fast once you get off the rim. We went down and up Bright Angel. On the first decent by the time I hit Indian Garden, it was 20 degrees warmer than the rim.

Phantom Ranch had a good assortment of candy (M&M's, Snickers, etc.), granola bars and some gatorade. If I recall correctly, they had trail mix too.

On my return trip, I remember stopping at Phantom Ranch and dumping out all the food I had on a picnic table and offering it to anyone who wanted it. I was sick of carrying it. I kept 8-10 gels, and two clif bars for the final climb. (I'd taken a crap-load of food).

Good stuff, thanks for sharing your advice!    I think it's a fine balance of carrying enough to sustain you, but not carrying to much that you are weighed down.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

DeathRunner in L&O has done R2R successfully a couple of times.  I don't remember if she's done R2R2R.  She'd be a good person to talk to as well.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful than that.  I'd love to do a trip like this at some point, though.  Sounds like a great adventure!

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

From my personal experience, NPS are overly cautious, which they have to be, considering that all shapes and sizes of tourists visit GC, and many have no hiking experience at all. NPS's job is to prevent tourists from getting harmed, so they have to focus on people who don't have the equipment, experience, or endurance/strength to do an extended hike in the canyon, but don't have a clue about the dangers of over-estimating their capabilities. So of course they have to issue drastic warnings to keep some people safe.

I have hiked Rim-to-River and back in one day (7.5 hours), and I did not consider it overly hard and tough. I was in great hiking shape, but did not run a lot at the time, and I still felt it was a fun experience, not a death march. You know what you have done on your training runs, and what you are likely to accomplish, and where your limits are. It is not irresponsible to go for a R2R(2R), just apply some safety margins and contingency plans.

Have a wonderful adventure!

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we did it the spring before last (April 2012), we had a freakish snow storm that dumped about a foot of snow on each rim (we were completely out of the snow ~ 1/3 of the way down each side)- this kept temps cool even at river level, but did force us to carry a a little more clothing

a insulating layer (I carried a light hooded down jacket), windshirt, beanie, gloves were carried in the pack, along w/ the "usual"- first aid kit, fire kit, emergency blanket, whistle, small knife, sunscreen, anti-chaff, tp

have a good headlamp and extra batteries- we started about an hour before sunrise and several folks finished after dark

we had drinking water available at Phantom Ranch, Cottonwood and Roaring Springs- you'll want to check on this as your date gets closer as sometimes these aren't all available; you can always treat water as a backup if need be (I carried a dozen micropur tablets- less than a 1/4 oz)

definitely take it a little easy on the first decent, your legs will thank you later Big grin

make sure you have an adequate amount of water for the final ascent, there is no water along the route and it will likely take you longer than what you think it should

bring a camera and take lots of pics!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden, I firmly believe in a good headlamp, I do a lot of nighttime trail runing and finally got tired of a sub standard light.  And I will check out the Micropur tablets.  Do they leave a taste like the iodine tabs?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

very little taste (chlorine based like most tap water) and I only use them if the water needs treated- most of the time along the R2R2R that won't be necessary, but at only ~ 1/4 oz for a 12 tabs- they are worth carrying imo

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Yeah, seems there's about a 1% chance that the pipeline will break and there won't be water.  Also seems like the tablets are a good emergency backup.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Waldo, if you are getting a new headlamp, I'd strongly suggest you either try it out more than once on a long noght run for battery life. I had used mine several times on night runs of 1-3 hours, and thought I was safe, when last night, the lamp went out on me with new batteries. Definitely also take 2 sets of spare batteries, you never can be sure the'll last.

Run for fun.

FTYC, I already have the Black Diamond spot that I really like. 90 lumens is plenty for me.  And you would think a new set of batteries would be good, I bet you were mad on that run when they went out.

Uh oh... now what?

FTYC, I already have the Black Diamond spot that I really like. 90 lumens is plenty for me.  And you would think a new set of batteries would be good, I bet you were mad on that run when they went out.

I keep a small (tiny?) single-LED, one AA battery, light with me.  If I am doing regular night runs I have extra batteries, but it is the idea of trying to change them in the dark that has me carrying the small emergency light.  If your batteries go dead, you need to see to be able to change the batteries.