Trailer Trash

Western States 100 - NEW QUALIFYING STANDARDS!!! (Read 67 times)

Birdwell

Lace will be thrilled with the new standards (most likely)

http://www.wser.org/2013/10/24/2015-western-states-100-mile-endurance-run-qualifying-standards/

list of qualifying races

http://www.wser.org/qualifying-races/

Summary for those who don't like links.

No more 50 mile qualifiers after 2014 (not even American River 50)

100K under 16 hours

63 qualifying races for 2015 (down from 147 in 2014)

running 100 miles is hard, way more applicants than ever before.

Uh oh... now what?

Meanwhile, over in irrelevancy...

http://whatisultra.tumblr.com/post/65000316593/main-two-reactions-to-new-western-states-qualifying

I am starting a petition for one qualifier in every state.  If the state currently has no ultramarathon, said state my sell their rights to someone I choose (yes, I can be bought).

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Interesting.  I could pull off a sub-16 100K over a sub-11 50 miler.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

http://whatisultra.tumblr.com/post/65000316593/main-two-reactions-to-new-western-states-qualifying

On a side note, that tumblr is general has me rolling in laughter right now.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

On a side note, that tumblr is general has me rolling in laughter right now.

Need more laughter.  Need less fog.  Missed meteor shower.  Missed (alleged) northern lights.  Fog horns all night long from ships trying to mate or pass each other in the night.  The geese have all gone on, farther south.  grumble grumble grmbl ... sigh.  Another camera day.  Tired of camera, want... uh oh, yer not gonna be sympathetic my my wanting to run, are you.  I'm going to go open the fudge sauce.  I took 147 pictures of mushrooms, lichen, and an eagle today.  Yes, need more laughter.  Hee hee.  Ho.

Birdwell

I am starting a petition for one qualifier in every state.  If the state currently has no ultramarathon, said state my sell their rights to someone I choose (yes, I can be bought).

That's not the worst idea I've ever heard. California (6), Utah, Colorado and Italy (4) seem to provide some significant potential income sources.

There are not a lot of options for the Northeast, but 25 international options?

+1 to that tumblr blog. HILARIOUS!

Occasional Runner

Thrilled? maybe a little. WSER should be hard to get into. You shouldn't be able to run (walk) a 50 mile race in 13 hours to qualify. That's common sense. I'm still in disagreement that you can qualify with a 100k finish, but I am sure that will also change over time. I've been predicting this for a long time and I am sure it will continue to get more difficult to qualify for a lottery spot over the years. I'm happy to see this shift but it's still weak in my opinion. The WSER lottery should be open for those that finish a 100 mile race in less than 24 hours. The cynic in me wants to say 22 hours, so I'm being generous with 24. Mark my words...it will get to that point eventually.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thrilled? maybe a little. WSER should be hard to get into. You shouldn't be able to run (walk) a 50 mile race in 13 hours to qualify. That's common sense. I'm still in disagreement that you can qualify with a 100k finish, but I am sure that will also change over time. I've been predicting this for a long time and I am sure it will continue to get more difficult to qualify for a lottery spot over the years. I'm happy to see this shift but it's still weak in my opinion. The WSER lottery should be open for those that finish a 100 mile race in less than 24 hours. The cynic in me wants to say 22 hours, so I'm being generous with 24. Mark my words...it will get to that point eventually.

This is reminiscent of the changes over the years for the Boston Marathon. At one point in the early 80s the open men's BQ was 2:50. Around that same timeframe the cutoff for WS was 24 hours (1986 was the last year for that I believe). Since then the percentage of finishers under 24 hours seems to vary between 25% and 35% roughly. Obviously course difficulty varies (and I probably don't know what I'm talking about), but having a 24-hour qualifying time might eliminate the need for a lottery, especially if only selected 100-mile races can be used as qualifiers.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

I guess this may have an impact on some of the 50's that runners would use as a WS qualifier. I'm not a big fan of a 24 hour cutoff. Someone who finishes a mountainous crazy course like Massanutten in the cutoff  time could finish WS I would think. Just because they don't want to run Umstead, Rocky Raccoon, or some other loop course shouldn't shut them out. I sort of feel bad for the local runners who may look at this as their local 100, and are trying to build up to it with a 50. I guess 100k isn't that further of a stretch but it would limit their options as those races will become more popular and fill more quickly. It is what it is I suppose.

Now then, do I throw my name in the hat or not this year before I too am shut out for good?!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

XtremeTaper

Interesting.  I could pull off a sub-16 100K over a sub-11 50 miler.

Mandy, Laurel Highlands is on the list. You get 4 more hours for 8 more miles.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

The Old Dominion 100 has a 24 hour cutoff. They've relaxed that over the years and will allow you finish beyond 24 hours but you won't leave with a buckle. Because of that, it will never be a popular race. The Vermont 100 refuses buckles to runners that go over 24 hours as well. I've run both of them and can attest to the fact they're hilly and hard. Nonetheless, 24 hours is the expectation at those events.

However, it's not about finishing a race in 24 hours, it's about creating exclusivity around Western States. I support whatever method they use to achieve that. Even if it excludes me as well.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy, Laurel Highlands is on the list. You get 4 more hours for 8 more miles.

Oh, I have no desire to run WS.  It was more of a general comment from a slow person. Smile  Now, LH is on my list of "must run".  I will someday!

Running is dumb.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I understand making it harder to make it easier to get in . I don't wonder if going back to it's roots " 100 miles in one day "  ( Tevis motto ) would thin it out more * .  Maybe 10 years ago the Tevis adding qualifying,  it used to be pay your entry show up with a horse that Vets in,  you could ride .

* not intended to be taken seriously as I think people are taking this all a little too seriously

Sandy-2

Seems reasonable to me.  Looking at the variations between Hardrock and Rocky Raccoon I wonder why they bother having a qualifying list and just allow any "real" 100 miler.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

The Old Dominion 100 has a 24 hour cutoff. They've relaxed that over the years and will allow you finish beyond 24 hours but you won't leave with a buckle. Because of that, it will never be a popular race. The Vermont 100 refuses buckles to runners that go over 24 hours as well. I've run both of them and can attest to the fact they're hilly and hard. Nonetheless, 24 hours is the expectation at those events.

However, it's not about finishing a race in 24 hours, it's about creating exclusivity around Western States. I support whatever method they use to achieve that. Even if it excludes me as well.

But they took the OD100 off the list.  I saw a post from RD at OD and he said they were told it's because race is too small.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!